Well, no more Oculus rift for me. (cause I'm getting a vive)

Community Support for the machines running the game
TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Well, no more Oculus rift for me. (cause I'm getting a vive)

Postby TorTorden » Mon May 23, 2016 1:36 am

Just cancelled my Rift pre-order, starts to smell a bit facebooky and my life desperately need less facebook, not more.
I know, tin foil hat-ville next station, but since we passed 1984 in the 90's we could use more tin-foil in the populus.

This has also been partly because local (this side of the border) stores have started taking orders for the Vive (Oculus is a complete no show around here) buying locally has also some very appealing benefits for me, for instance I get full coverage of our Norwegian consumer law, which quite honestly alone is good enough reason to live here and pay the taxes not to mention the free health care. Free health care is good.

In short if a device breaks within five years they (the seller) is required to either repair, or replace the device at virtually no cost to me.

And the price, when I'm looking at possible self import I run the numbers looking at the worst possible case, so feared the Vive would cost nearly 13,000 Kr after all taxes etc etc, and an absolute worst possible case of course, which doesn't seem to be the case.
Anyhoo that would be about 1400 Euro. I have however paid 9500 Nok for the vive now comes to just about 1000 eur, which still is quite a lot for such a silly thing but you know I'm not giving my money to facebook.

Here's hoping the readability and performance issue get's sorted soon :P
Last edited by TorTorden on Mon May 23, 2016 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion

Re: Well, no more Oculus rift for me.

Postby StaticRadion » Mon May 23, 2016 5:40 am

Just wait to open source and build your own with NVIDIA VRWorks. It will take a little while longer for it to hit the market but considering that most VR is going to be powered by Nvidia for now and into the future they will probably end up owning the market.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Mon May 23, 2016 7:56 am

StaticRadion wrote:Just wait to open source and build your own with NVIDIA VRWorks. It will take a little while longer for it to hit the market but considering that most VR is going to be powered by Nvidia for now and into the future they will probably end up owning the market.

Well I cancelled my Rift order to place one for the vive.
I "might" even get that sooner than I would have gotten the rift.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darr Valen
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Darr Valen » Mon May 23, 2016 3:07 pm

TorTorden wrote:
StaticRadion wrote:Just wait to open source and build your own with NVIDIA VRWorks. It will take a little while longer for it to hit the market but considering that most VR is going to be powered by Nvidia for now and into the future they will probably end up owning the market.

Well I cancelled my Rift order to place one for the vive.
I "might" even get that sooner than I would have gotten the rift.

I've read a lot of people getting orders within days from Vive.

I'm still holding off this gen. I think the companies that are yet to goto market are going to offer some improvements, since they're able to watch the Rift and Vive and fix before tooling or doing prod runs.

Still, if I had to choose, Palmer Lucky can go ride a pony to facebook town for all I care, I'd go Vive.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Well, no more Oculus rift for me. (cause I'm getting a vive)

Postby TorTorden » Mon May 23, 2016 4:01 pm

Well the retailer I ordered from doesn't have any in stock yet. 12th of June at the very earliest.
Hopefully I'll have it by the 15th.
But the 12th is a soft date so could be delays etc.
It seems they have more stock than oculus or something cause it's the second big retailer to list the vive here now. And the retailer I ordered from states they are getting 100+ a surprisingly large volume. When the ps4 for example launched they only had a handful of units on sale.

But I'm mostly just guessing at this point.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Digga
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Digga

Postby Digga » Mon May 23, 2016 6:11 pm

Hopefully now you will be able to tell us about it sooner rather than later... enjoy.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Mon May 23, 2016 6:20 pm

Darr Valen wrote:I've read a lot of people getting orders within days from Vive.
I'd go for the HTC Vive, if Elite players can confirm it doesn't have most of the performance and other issues being reported, compared to the Oculus Rift. I'm really purchasing this for Elite, as I play it for nearly all of my gaming.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darr Valen
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Darr Valen » Mon May 23, 2016 9:44 pm

thebs wrote:
Darr Valen wrote:I've read a lot of people getting orders within days from Vive.
I'd go for the HTC Vive, if Elite players can confirm it doesn't have most of the performance and other issues being reported, compared to the Oculus Rift. I'm really purchasing this for Elite, as I play it for nearly all of my gaming.

The Vive is the no-duh sort of buy for Gen 1 VR. But both have flaws that need working on. 2016 is still a screen year for me, and 2017 likely will be too.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Tue May 24, 2016 7:07 pm

Darr Valen wrote:
thebs wrote:
The Vive is the no-duh sort of buy for Gen 1 VR. But both have flaws that need working on. 2016 is still a screen year for me, and 2017 likely will be too.
I'm almost tempted now order the Vive too ... and just cancel the order that doesn't show up first at my doorstep. ;)
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Wed May 25, 2016 12:24 am

Oh yeah this is definitely still "early adopter" time regardless of the device.
And the only thing really fueling the "rift vs vive" debate is honestly simply self justifications and yes it's expensive, regardless of choice, you kind of have to consider the pc needed as well and these days only hard core pc gamers with a fairly stable budget are willing to spend that kind of money on a gaming pc with these specs.

And VR tech is probably (unlike what oculus wants to make it sound like) barely out of beta.

The one thing that worries me know is that pretty much all the demonstrations for vive titles look like a demo for the next Nintendo console, short not so terribly meaningfull etc.

Basically I'm looking for a type skyrim/gta5 game for VR, so far best we got is elite.
Oh and speaking of Nintendo. The 'wet' vr dream game I'm having is the metroid prime trilogy in vr..

Tech wise. I kind of suspect the solution for the rift's tracking to more flexible in terms of devices.
Putting ir emitters on things is a lot easier than the sensors used by the vive.
Particularly if you consider and option like vr gloves.
If you had that typing on a virtual keyboard sure would have been easier. And they would be compatible with other controllers too, you would just use them with the gloves on...

Sure gloves aren't easy. They need to be sold in a myriad of sizes and shapes etc.
For room scale use I can definitely see why htc went the way they did. Their bases are just grid emitters and only require power. It's the hmd that tracks itself using the grids and not the other way around (again back to Nintendo, quite similar as with how the wii mote works with the sensor bar)

Anyhoo it's 2 am and I'm digressing.
I don't know how if this makes any sense.
I did Google some more today. And by steams download numbers 81 000 people have downloaded the "The lab" which is pretty locked in to vive. And it still fairly early.

I definitely think HTC are leveraging their experience in manufacturing and distributing smart phones and their existing retail connections.
Connections neither oculus or Facebook has.
From what I can gather on the Internet and general. Outside of the US oculus and cv1 rift is practically unknowns there was more talk about oculus here for the launch of the dk2.
Seriously there is nothing.
If you ask anyone on the streets now about vr they would probably think of the vive.
If you ask them about oculus, the nerdier elements would maybe remember the kickstart and the E
Dk2. That's it.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”