Comments and feedback welcome!

Angvir
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Angvir
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: War Eagle (Flight Assist off)

Postby Angvir » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:58 pm

I like your video. Has a bit of the "Story Teller" element.

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion

Postby StaticRadion » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:24 am

Sorry I didn't make it past 5 min so I am not sure if you addressed this, but are you going FA off as a challenge or fore some other reason? From what I watched you have a good grasp of movement within the game I just think you are hindering yourself by having it off all the time.

evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria

Postby evovi » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:15 pm

StaticRadion wrote:Sorry I didn't make it past 5 min so I am not sure if you addressed this, but are you going FA off as a challenge or fore some other reason? From what I watched you have a good grasp of movement within the game I just think you are hindering yourself by having it off all the time.

I'm envious of the piloting skills with FA off, I've had a few attempts other than spinning on my axis to hit a target and they where memorable for the wrong reasons lol, but, I can't see it being a hinderance, the change of direction compared to flying with it on, is "tighter" imo, but granted I've only seen videos of it and not been up against a pilot

SpaceComrade
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Space Comrade

Postby SpaceComrade » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:23 pm

Angvir wrote:I like your video. Has a bit of the "Story Teller" element.

Thank you! I am still trying to find that sweet spot where the story can be interesting and engaging.

StaticRadion wrote:Sorry I didn't make it past 5 min so I am not sure if you addressed this, but are you going FA off as a challenge or fore some other reason? From what I watched you have a good grasp of movement within the game I just think you are hindering yourself by having it off all the time.

I would love to know, why you didn't make it past 5 minutes? Was it too boring? Perhaps lack of action? I'd definitely like to improve the videos based on your input. Regarding the FA off part: I feel that with FA off, the ship's movement is more natural, as it should be. I might be hindering myself there a bit, yes, but only because I have to do more corrections and inputs compared to an FA on pilot. However, I just plain enjoy the FA off part, at some point it just clicked and I cannot go back, FA on feels weird now.

Angvir
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Angvir

Postby Angvir » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:34 pm

I've been wanting to learn FA off so I can intermingle the two styles. In my Cobra MK III I tried it a little; the outcome was meh. It seems in a Vulture that I don't really need FA off but I want to do it for the fun and challenge anyway.

About your video, I often do prefer to hear someone speaking. Although the occasional type/silent video is nice from time to time. When you have text in your video you run the risk of misspelling things and that just seems unprofessional. With speech you can make miss pronouncing a word funny. Or use text to chastise yourself in the video with little pop up blurbs from time to time. I guess my point is that most people enjoy a narrative, and they don't always want to read it. Most would rather listen to your explanation while watching the details unfold.

Hope that helps.

SpaceComrade
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Space Comrade

Postby SpaceComrade » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:11 am

Thank you very much for your input. There are two reasons I am not narrating the videos: I do not have a decent microphone for that matter and, since English is not my native language, I have a strong accent that would make understanding me very difficult.

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion

Postby StaticRadion » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:11 pm

SpaceComrade wrote:I would love to know, why you didn't make it past 5 minutes? Was it too boring? Perhaps lack of action? I'd definitely like to improve the videos based on your input.
Your video was not bad, in fact I liked your text narration. My problem was more with how your camera moves because of FA off. In specific you have a bit more pitch and yaw bounce than I am able to handle because it makes me feel like I am out at sea fishing, but without the actual movement of the waves. Lateral and horizontal thrust while using pitch and yaw will increase your correction speed and reduce your camera bounce.
SpaceComrade wrote:Regarding the FA off part: I feel that with FA off, the ship's movement is more natural, as it should be. I might be hindering myself there a bit, yes, but only because I have to do more corrections and inputs compared to an FA on pilot. However, I just plain enjoy the FA off part, at some point it just clicked and I cannot go back, FA on feels weird now.
You don't have to fly with FA on to save yourself from excess movement you just have to use FA on as an emergency break. Turn it on for a second or two then off again and it will do you a world of good. Most combat pilots that use FA off, myself includes, know that all acceleration is faster with FA off and all deceleration is faster with FA on so use that to you advantage.

Return to “Elite: Dangerous Videos”