Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Fixed weapons

Postby evovi » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:29 am

Boy am I having trouble, made an imperial eagle with two gimballed pulse and a PA - cheap little a-rated fighter really, but... Hitting my target with the PA is well.... Not going so well, I've even resorted to pounding it while shields are up just to "practice" my aiming - I took on a python solo last night and succeeded relatively easily but it was down to me staying on it's top and it's huge, so not hard to miss.. Put me against another eagle or like and I can't hit it for toffee, my pulse lasers kill it before I've got a round on target - jousting npc's means i stay in the targets guns for too long trying to get the shot which quickly rips my shields apart.... on the very rare occasion I've hit one I've pretty much one shotted it when shields where down - any advice other than keep at it? Costly balls of light fired into a very dark abyss :)

robfm81
Expert
Expert
CMDR: ROBFM81
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Fixed weapons

Postby robfm81 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:47 am

My advice is not to use the PA on small ships - it has a slow tradjectory which lets the smaller ships dodge it easily. Either save it for the big ships, or change it for a multicannon.

If you want to survive out here, you've got to know where your towel is.

Orkekum
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orkekum

Postby Orkekum » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:56 am

robfm81 wrote:My advice is not to use the PA on small ships - it has a slow tradjectory which lets the smaller ships dodge it easily. Either save it for the big ships, or change it for a multicannon.

This is why you attack asps, pythons and condas in a plasma imp eagle ;-)

And person who asked, practice and stay close :-)

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:14 pm

And AI cheats whenever you fire the pa, their spidey sense lets them avoid it rather easily if they have a bit of range, at least for smaller ships..

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

evovi
Master
Master

Postby evovi » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:30 pm

TorTorden wrote:And AI cheats whenever you fire the pa, their spidey sense lets them avoid it rather easily if they have a bit of range, at least for smaller ships..

Yeas noticed - eagle against eagle and blackout g force turning from npc's AI bending the rules

I'll stick to the PA for now to practice and take on the bigger less mobile ships and use the eagles strength in manoeuvrability.

the multicannon option I've not considered as my multicannon viper struggles on the bigger ships dependant on their builds - and I end up playing peekaboo with their shields... Up and down...

I'll have a try tho, I figured the PA was a better option than the rail gun as well or will someone tell me different ?

robfm81
Expert
Expert
CMDR: ROBFM81
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby robfm81 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:32 pm

Rail guns need to charge so your aim needs to be even better. Ok for big slow ships when you're flying a small ship as you can keep on target better.

If you want to survive out here, you've got to know where your towel is.

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion

Postby StaticRadion » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:39 pm

Recommendation in order of degree of difficulty

1) Know your attack angles
2) Get closer than 500
3) Target a subsystem to get a very small but useful lock mechanic.
4) Use trailing not leading for targeting (this mechanic seems to be a simple moving of the target area, but it is more complex so practice)
5) Use FA off to give you added pitch angle if you are slightly off target

evovi
Master
Master

Postby evovi » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:30 pm

StaticRadion wrote:Recommendation in order of degree of difficulty

1) Know your attack angles
2) Get closer than 500
3) Target a subsystem to get a very small but useful lock mechanic.
4) Use trailing not leading for targeting (this mechanic seems to be a simple moving of the target area, but it is more complex so practice)
5) Use FA off to give you added pitch angle if you are slightly off target

Thank you,

I do need to practice with FA as once I get wayward I struggle to get myself stable again without switching it back on :)

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion

Postby StaticRadion » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:57 am

evovi wrote:I do need to practice with FA as once I get wayward I struggle to get myself stable again without switching it back on :)

FA off is a problem for most so don't get discouraged. A trick I found useful to getting it down was to limit my actions and to know when to turn FA back on. Don't try to control your ship with FA off on every axis in the beginning instead try to simply control pitch and yaw.

To do this throttle down to the blue zone, roll to match your targets current movement direction, toggle FA off, pitch hard toward your target, when you get close counter pitch so you don't over shoot, yaw if needed, and finally toggle FA on. Remember the only advantage to FA off is to turn be able to freely rotate your ship without changing your direction of movement. Once a ship begins to move away from you to gain distance FA should be on and you should be in pursuit to close the gap.

Black Rose

Postby Black Rose » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:44 am

I was using 2 PAs on my FAS. Lots of power for wrecking things but unless I was aiming at something large it was just expensive dead weight :(

I switched to multi-cannons and that did the trick.

Now I tried 2 pulse and the Imperial Hammer Rail Gun on an Imperial Eagle with Prismatic armor, that was fun.

Return to “General Discussion”