What's in a name?

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Black Rose

What's in a name?

Postby Black Rose » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:03 am

Anyone ever wonder what moves people to pick a name for a game or a handle?

In my case a "black rose" was my calling card in a vampire game I used to play. If someone woke up from a night's sleep and found a black rose on their pillow they knew they were marked for death. At first players had no idea who it was but eventually the Rose - Death - Me were all one in the same. :twisted:

I pretty much use that name in most games now.

Sometimes its just Rose but its always black and dead in the end. Everything has to die eventually doesn't it? :D

Kiltrathi
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Kiltrathi
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: What's in a name?

Postby Kiltrathi » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:13 am

I quite like your name, Black Rose, it's kinda mysterious and ominous.

I think to most it's rather obvious where the inspiration for my handle has come from, even with me misspelling it (d'oh). I usually have great trouble coming up with names and after playing a while I usually want to change it again. For the "younger" generation, the Kilrathi are a race in Chris Robert's (yes the one from Star Citizen) Wing Commander series.

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby smartroad » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:30 am

I can't remember the exact reason I chose my CMDRs name. I did think about it, wanting it to be something sensible and unique.

I try to put some thought into my game names, like my favorite ship, Moritius Rising (my Python). Which came from a mashup of the Latin words mortuus and ictus meaning dead and shot. So she is named Deadshot Rising :D
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Orkekum
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orkekum

Postby Orkekum » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:45 am

my CMDR name is a nickname my sisters gave me, so i now use it everywhere, no one knows what it means(me neither) and no american know how to pronounce it correctly :D
In games i tend to go for michael for some reason

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas

Postby de Carabas » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:55 am

My normal handle for games used to be Voz - hence my forum name in the main forum. I've used that since wasted hours in arcades in the early 80's when you only got three characters to put in to save your score. Unfortunately E: D wouldn't accept that as a CMDR name (too short I guess).

I went instead for de Carabas as the character from Neil Gaiman's 'Neverwhere' has always appealed - a lovable rogue who was very hard to kill. Full character name is the Marquis de Carabas so I've been slowly working up to that empire rank so it fits nicely :)
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:21 am

My alias seems to have something to do with a si-fi TV show from a while back. :roll:

I was a big Star Trek fan back in the day, and watched nearly every episode of every series... at least once.

I chose not to use the 'real' spelling of Jean-Luc Picard's name, because I didn't want to sound like a Frenchman. (no offence to any French players in our group :) )

I Americanized the spelling, and here we are.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Kallegan
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Kallegan

Postby Kallegan » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:47 am

I tend to just make up names for characters. Give them a whole back story and such. I chose Kallegan just by fumbling around on the keyboard looking for something.

The full name of my CMDR is Dante Kallegan. Simply because I like Dante as a name and it's a reference to the ever epic Dante's Inferno.

My other CMDR account uses 4 letters which is a play on my actual surname and I swapped the S for a Z.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:18 pm

To me it simply popped into my head as I made my first gmail address in 2003 or something, It's kind of stuck since.
My name is Thor afterall, and Thor is the god of thunder (Torden = thunderclap ) I to figured it would be easier for the 'Muricans to pronounce but ala's such is not the case hence why I often answer to Bob on TS.

So I agree with the bard: A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
By that. Names are merely what we call things, their core essence and thus meaning is not defined by the name, but the vice versa.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion

Postby StaticRadion » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:48 pm

Well this is kind of a loaded question in that it ages me a bit, but seeing as it is my info heading on Steam it is not exactly hidden or secret.

"My moniker, Static Radion, comes from a time when spaces and underscores were not allowed in names, dial-up was king, WBS.net offered the unlimited potential of the internet to your screen, and the DMCA was not yet passed. It was created when people were new to the idea of a true virtual community so, to not be ostracized, they put thought, weight, originality, and a sense of identity into their names.

At the time of its creation I was a science fiction fan heavily into physical science and engineering, but I was also one of the "cool kids" at my school. I went to dances, partied, raced cars, played video games, and remained on the honor-roll while having a healthy interest in my online social standing. I needed a name with some dichotomy in case it was shared between friends and I went through a few before sticking with StaticRadion. The moniker was easily explained away to people as having to do with physics, mechanics, sound, light, science fiction, and comics so it was a keeper.

The other names I have used in the past Rainrix, Kayate, LynxRadion, and AlphaAte or α8 to name a few. Most of those names are still in used as character names, but not as my account name."

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:19 pm

I think it still feels weird and wrong to use spaces in file or directory names.
Logins and or usernames should be lowercase and no special characters. Passwords go nuts.

I ran a third party app for my eve alliance and not a week went by when didn't have at least one idiot who couldn't login cause he registered his username in klingon and threw in semicolon and a uppercase letter in the middle just for fun.

The amount of stupid stuff people do trying to be clever..
Yes I know I should have scrubbed the input field better but I'm no real coder and when I wrote it is honestly had no clue what so ever.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Return to “General Discussion”