Tips and Tricks for a Brand New player

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Tips and Tricks for a Brand New player

Postby evovi » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:25 pm

Black Rose wrote:Some tips I have discovered since I started to play, which is about 2 months now :)

1. Space stations always face a planet so that is where the door is. So when you approach try to come on on the same plane as the stations orbital ring and steer in so you are between the station and the planet.

2. If you have trouble locating the door, target the station and you will see arrows on the holo of the station pointing at the side the opening is on.

3. Fuel Scooping is a new skill set for me so and tips in this regard would be helpful :) When I 1st arrive in a system I wait for count of 1/1000, 2/1000 then start a slow climb over the sun. If you look the sun has a ring around it in the form of an orange line. I've come to know that inside this line you will hit the sun or planet and outside this line you are good. So climb above the sun with that line just below your field of view and make a slow run across the top. Unssually as you start your climb your fuel scoop will deploy and will hit 125% + before you reach the apex. Keep your ship level and just fly away at normal cruise speed. If you are running on an "economical" flight path your tanks will top off at every sun. I ran from HIP 16607 to TUN and back which is over 44 jumps and used 32 credits of fuel.

4. Fixed weapons while making targeting a nightmare for new players actually do more damage than any gimbaled weapon. I find that on a small mount the preferred choice is a beam, medium mount a burst and large mount a pulse. This has been my experience thus far, I am not saying this is optimal, only that it seems to work for me.

5. When you get inside the station on docking, look at your targeting reticle. The position of the white dot tells you where the docking bay is. I almost always get docking bay 1 which is right inside the entrance and straight down, usually. Sometimes I have to pivot as its above me...a real pain in the butt.

6. Scooping cargo is hard for me most of the time so my solution is this. Install a collector limpet controller and carry some drones. When you see cargo floating about or its a mission thing, motor over to where the canisters are, open your cargo scoop and send out 1 drone. The drone will mindlessly collect everything it can until it expires and you can sit and eat your lunch :)

7. Selling illegal goods. If you are like me and get spooked trying to get past scanners at a station, then go to any system that is operated by a pirate faction. My system of choice is the Harm system and the Gentile station. Yes it has a black market and there are no cops anywhere and even if you do get scanned they don't care what you are carrying. A friend of mine and I were sitting outside that station just outside the no fire zone and we scanned NPC freighters coming and going. We found a type 9 loaded with 200 tons of gold. We attacked the transport and got his shields down then hit him with a hatch breaker and all they gold came tumbling out! We scooped and sold it right there and kept coming out collecting and docking to sell at the black market. We made about 460,000 cr each and it was fun :)

Fuel scooping - what works for me... Dependant on your scoop rating - head to the sun throttle about 1/3 way up the blue marker head down so the yellow circle round the sun is just visible in your top of the cockpit and keep it there - keep pulling up as you circle to maintain that yellow band just visible - until you hit 70 temp then pull away cool down and repeat till full

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Re: Tips and Tricks for a Brand New player

Postby Gorf » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:50 pm

Scooping really depends on the ship and your power plant. My FAS is A grade throughout and scoops 343 kilos/sec but it still gets hot enough that I get the critical warning on the first scooping pass after a single jump.

Black Rose

Postby Black Rose » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:52 pm

In tried a tip mentioned here last night and applied it to scooping. I use a scoop primarily on my Diamondback Explorer which run super cool normally. I have all A rated modules including the fuel scoop.

1. Jump to a system and while the hyper space jump (zone load) is running I press the X key to throttle down to zero when I arrive.
2. Pop into the system right in front of the sun. If its new or unexplored I target lock it and scan it.
3. I nudge the throttle up so I am moving dead slow pointed right at the sun and wait until the scoop deploys and I start collected fuel.
4. I stay on this head on patch until my hull temp reaches 55 then I use the rudder to steer left or right until I am pointing at the area evoei mentions and I just sit there until my tanks are full.

My temps never go over 61 and I did a 66 jump exploration run and used a total of 32 credits of fuel :)

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Schmobius » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:21 pm

I usually throttle down to zero as soon as the computer lady starts counting down, then aim for the putter edge for the star and throttle just below the blue band on the throttle meter, and once I hit a decent scoop rate, throttle to zero if I'm low. I'm usually done before it hits 70%, and sometimes it stays at 64%. I've been buying more fuel lately out of impatience, and trying to get my smuggling load to the station before cops or pirates notice.

I also have no scoop on the anaconda, to maximize cargo for trading, where I rarely have runs beyond my fuel range anyway. But I still think I'm under 100 grand for fuel lifetime, with nearly 3 weeks of gameplay since I got the game last summer.

BDelacroix
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: BDelacroix

Postby BDelacroix » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:31 pm

This game never pauses. Not in solo, not otherwise. Being at the menu is not pause.
Something I was unaware of the first days of play. It is largely why I died so many times then.

Hengest
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Hengest

Postby Hengest » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:44 am

Black Rose wrote:
5. When you get inside the station on docking, look at your targeting reticle. The position of the white dot tells you where the docking bay is. I almost always get docking bay 1 which is right inside the entrance and straight down, usually. Sometimes I have to pivot as its above me...a real pain in the butt.

Always enter the station with the green lights on your right and pad 1 will always be directly down as you fly in. You'll will also come to know relative positions of all the other pads.

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius

Postby Schmobius » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:33 pm

That last one bothers me, as at least in America, the rule of thumb on the waterways is "Red Right Returning", meaning the red lights should be on your right as you are coming inland from the ocean or other large bodies of water like the Great Lakes. I would assume it's the same in the UK, and FDev just put the lights that way because they think green is the side you should fly on, but maybe I'm wrong.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:36 pm

I always enter on the side with the green lights. I don't really pay attention to whether it's on the left or right.

Yup.....

I'm a rebel. :evil:

After getting through the slot, I use the targeting reticle and visual reference to determine where my assigned pad is located.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Nethaufer
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Nethaufer

Postby Nethaufer » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:39 pm

I think a nice thing to do, regarding docking, is that if there are other commanders around, say when you're entering the slot (and with what ship) and when you're clear. Especially helpful when a Corvette may be coming out.

Black Rose

Postby Black Rose » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:24 pm

JohnLuke wrote:I always enter on the side with the green lights. I don't really pay attention to whether it's on the left or right.

Yup.....

I'm a rebel. :evil:

After getting through the slot, I use the targeting reticle and visual reference to determine where my assigned pad is located.

I enter where I feel like it and if someone is in the way, then too bad lol

Although last night I was in the Mobius group instance and exited a station on the green side at full turbo to evade a scan and I met a cobra, I think, coming in that side. Now I know the NPCs always follow the rights of way so it had to be a Cmdr. I veered to the right and didn't hit them. I then got a greeting from a Cmdr Smith and I asked if that was him but got no reply.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”