Situational Awareness

Post your fabulous screenshots of Elite: Dangerous here!
Black Rose

Re: Situational Awareness

Postby Black Rose » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:35 am

Flip wrote:If you used head tracking, you would have always known about those windows. :) And it doesn’t only make docking easier. Being able to keep your eyes on your target when you’re fighting is a huge advantage. Not to mention how much it increases immersion.

Right now my immersion level is on a low ebb Flip.

As I know every time I take a mission I will be interdicted at the sun/arrival point, interdicted between 1.07 and 1.10 Mm from the station.
Every pirate will say "the reports were right, I'm glad I found you first"
And there will be 2 or 3 people that say at every jump in point..."I'm about to drop, follow my wake. You may be interested in......"

I've done 1,800 level 2 scans and 3,991 level 3 scans and all I have are more planets on my list than I had before I turned on my Geiger counter.

I know that every "killing grounds gets me wanted and there is never a pay out until I go and kill 5 cops or 3 authority. I feel like a level 1 in some MMO killing rats and collecting the tails for some evil wizard that is gonna give me a +1 sword of "is this it?"

Every save the hostage mission won't complete, every timed out mission that is more than one part, I have to save and exit to get out of it as there is no option to do that. Just accept in red and open the map, brilliant!

And lastly "here hold onto this stuff and someone will contact you at some point during your lifetime or until the next time the servers crash.

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Flip » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:32 am

I know exactly what you’re saying, Rose. I would just add to that the lone Novice Eagle who interdicts me when I’m flying in a 2 Elite Corvettes wing, or the Sidey who promise he’s gonna pick our bones clean.

No, I was talking about the more physical feeling of immersion you get when you can freely look around. It’s something you don’t realize until you’ve tried it, but when you got used to it, it’s really difficult to do without.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Walter » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:50 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:
Walter wrote:I use varifocals so straight ahead is my only option.

When I read your description, I got the impression you had to keep your eyes perpendicular to the screen, and to "look around", you'd have to move your whole head and torso right/left and up/down. But if it is just a matter of keeping your eyes looking straight through your glasses, so you can still turn or nod your head 10-15 degrees to glance around the periphery of your screen (not all the way to the edges), or you can look down at your keyboard and etc., then I think head tracking should work wonders for you. Sure, it may be difficult or impossible to look "behind" you in game, but just a 5-10 degree head tilt can translate into a 45-60 degree in game movement, with another 5 degrees having you look 90 degrees right or left, w/o having to open panels or using the mouse.

Actually, I just looked up varifocals, and they appear to be a type of progressive lens (like blended bi-focals but with more areas). This should really work ideally with head tracking, unlike the Tobii Eyex pupil tracker. And the ED tracker is fairly inexpensive, so if it doesn't work, you can probably sell it here for little loss. So with months, or possibly years for a good VR solution, it might be worth giving head tracking a go. You may end up thanking yourself.

The top part of the varifocal lens is for distance, the lower part for close work. The beauty of the lens is that, between the upper and lower regions is an infinite supply of analogue focal points so the slightest alteration in the vertical rotation of your head will bring most things into focus.

The disadvantage is that these focal points follow a narrow vertical track to match head tilting. Things rapidly go out of focus if you keep your eyes straight ahead and rotate your head in the horizontal plane - reading a line of text without moving your head gets difficult.

Not everyone gets on with them. It's a bit like using flight sticks with or without a yaw - you soon start using whatever you have without thinking, but changing from one type to another can be disconcerting.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:16 pm

Walter wrote:The top part of the varifocal lens is for distance, the lower part for close work. The beauty of the lens is that, between the upper and lower regions is an infinite supply of analogue focal points so the slightest alteration in the vertical rotation of your head will bring most things into focus.

The disadvantage is that these focal points follow a narrow vertical track to match head tilting. Things rapidly go out of focus if you keep your eyes straight ahead and rotate your head in the horizontal plane - reading a line of text without moving your head gets difficult.

Not everyone gets on with them. It's a bit like using flight sticks with or without a yaw - you soon start using whatever you have without thinking, but changing from one type to another can be disconcerting.

I use progressive lenses in my glasses too, and have a love-hate relationship with them. They are fine for most everyday uses, but I don't like them at all for PC use. I got a pair of bifocal glasses with the top 2/3 prescription set for 'computer distance' and the bottom section for reading (i.e.keyboard). Works like a charm. :D :shock: I can see the entire 34" monitor in focus all of the time without trying to find the 'sweet spot' in the progressive lenses.

I have tried the ED Tracker, but the up and down movement is a problem for me since my glasses don't allow me to tilt my head above and below the monitor's view and still keep things in focus. I will probably sell it soon, since I don't see a way that it's going to work for me.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Black Rose

Postby Black Rose » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:30 pm

At the risk of sounding stupid but have any of you, that use progessive lenses considered a single lense used just on your PC?
Last edited by Black Rose on Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:30 pm

Black Rose wrote:At the risk of sounding stupid but have any of you, that use oppressiveness lenses considered a single lense used just on your PC?

Yes I have, but thanks for asking. :) The problem that I face (and probably others 'of that age') is that the vision correction needed for me to see the monitor clearly is fairly fuzzy for seeing the keyboard or reading any paper documents (i.e. my invaluable E-D notes that are on the desk). If I had a pair of 'PC only' glasses, that would be one more expense as well as one more pair of glasses to keep track of and switch on and off of my head as needed. (I have three pairs now for different situations)

What might help would be to replace my current PC/reading glasses with a pair that have larger lenses, to allow for more head movement while keeping things in focus. They wouldn't be very fasionable, but you guys and gals can't see me anyway. :roll:
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:09 am

Maybe Elton John has something you can use.
It's time to give this another go.

Black Rose

Postby Black Rose » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:25 am

JohnLuke wrote:
Black Rose wrote:At the risk of sounding stupid but have any of you, that use oppressiveness lenses considered a single lense used just on your PC?

Yes I have, but thanks for asking. :) The problem that I face (and probably others 'of that age') is that the vision correction needed for me to see the monitor clearly is fairly fuzzy for seeing the keyboard or reading any paper documents (i.e. my invaluable E-D notes that are on the desk). If I had a pair of 'PC only' glasses, that would be one more expense as well as one more pair of glasses to keep track of and switch on and off of my head as needed. (I have three pairs now for different situations)

What might help would be to replace my current PC/reading glasses with a pair that have larger lenses, to allow for more head movement while keeping things in focus. They wouldn't be very fasionable, but you guys and gals can't see me anyway. :roll:

My vision is way way out there. As you know the standard guide for normal vision is 20/20 which is each eye seeing the BIG E on the eye chart clearly from a distance of 20 feet. My eyes are 220/400 which means I see the the BIG E from 20 feet as though it was 220 feet away and my right eye is seeing it like it was 400 feet away so I am almost blind in the right eye.

So I have a pair of normal glasses that I wear around the house or if I am driving. If I am not driving then I wear single vision contacts. I have a pair that I use to read and a pair for the PC. I have the same issues reading notes and such on the desk with the PC glasses on, so I commit most things to memory and if I really need to read something I take the glasses off and just get really close to the paper lol

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Postby Gorf » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:51 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:Maybe Elton John has something you can use.

or

Return to “Screenshots”