The Python loadout thread: Big and ... strong?

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master
CMDR: UnmarkedBoxcar
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: The Python loadout thread: Big and ... strong?

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:31 pm

uvelius wrote:Wow thanks, great. So pips do more than just let recharge faster.

Indeed! Also nice to bear in mind that the more pips you have to weapons, the more damage those weapons will do, and the more pips you have in ENG, the faster your turns will be. Effects more than just capacitor recharge times.

I can look up the other data if we'd like to start a "pips" thread?

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:56 pm

Wow, that pips chart was an eye opener. One pip in engines or weapons makes a difference so I assumed one in systems did the same. I'd been doing a lot more ramming recently with the Vulture to finish them off, so I'd been having 2 pips in systems, so at least that was good.

I'll need to experiment with how pips in engines helps the Python maneuver, as I saw no real benefit with the Vulture. Then see how the 3 pulses stand up with various pips in weapons. Then I'll leave the max available to systems.
It's time to give this another go.

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:01 pm

UnmarkedBoxcar wrote:Also nice to bear in mind that the more pips you have to weapons, the more damage those weapons will do

I may be incorrect in this statement...looking for the data now.

Unserene
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Unserene

Postby Unserene » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:27 pm

The Hammer
And I'm sorry to those of you that like them, but I refuse to use SCBs. I personally think they're a cop out. If my shields go down, I have to rely on some pretty panicked evading skills to make it out alive, and that's the way I like it.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:57 pm

Unserene wrote:The Hammer
And I'm sorry to those of you that like them, but I refuse to use SCBs. I personally think they're a cop out. If my shields go down, I have to rely on some pretty panicked evading skills to make it out alive, and that's the way I like it.

I never used them myself until very recently. It's basically just been a way to recharge shields faster between combat rather than sitting there for 5 minutes with 4 pips in systems. Until the Python I had to keep them offline. I don't use hull reinforcement packages either. I don't like the way filling a cargo hold somehow increases your hull strength. I think they're a cop out. :lol:

Anyway, time is money when RES farming.

I just ran some maneuverability tests in my Python, as kitted above, with various pips in engines. I'm sure this has been done before, but here are my results nonetheless. :ugeek:

The first was a 360 degree loop. I soon found out pips don't make a difference. It took about 26.5 seconds with 0 thru 4 pips in engines. Using thrusters did make a difference, but it didn't matter whether using up, down, right, or left, and the time dropped to about 16 seconds (kind of hard to time accurately with two hands required on sticks).

The second test was 5x 360 degree rolls, which took about 23 seconds w/o thrusters and 21.5 seconds with.

The last was a 360 degree yaw turn. This did have a strange result that I checked twice. With 0 pips it took about 60 seconds and with 4 pips it took about 75 seconds. They both took about 38 seconds with thrusters firing in any direction.

All tests were done with the throttle at zero and I didn't use any forward or backwards thrusters.

I think it was similar with the Vulture because I never noticed any change with pips in engines, but I did like to keep it charged for boosting. I'd also be constantly firing my thrusters, but never noticed much of a difference when pulling back on the stick whether I was using up or down thrusters, but I liked to think it did.

These results may vary when going full throttle in a dog fight. And it looks like the fastest way to turn around is to perform a half roll while pulling back on the stick and firing thrusters - then there's FA Off too (I'm going to have to practice that with thrusters).
Last edited by Roger Wilco Jr on Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:59 pm

You should run the same sorts of tests at 50% throttle and see if anything changes, since 50% is the best turning speed out of supercruise.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:03 pm

UnmarkedBoxcar wrote:You should run the same sorts of tests at 50% throttle and see if anything changes, since 50% is the best turning speed out of supercruise.

Yeah, I'll try them again with the throttle centered in the blue. Hope I don't crash into the station. :P

Unserene
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Unserene

Postby Unserene » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:31 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:. I don't use hull reinforcement packages either. I don't like the way filling a cargo hold somehow increases your hull strength. I think they're a cop out. :lol:

Touché. ;)

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:55 pm

Unserene wrote:Touché. ;)

Cheers!

Here are some more tests with the throttle centered in the blue.

1. Perform 2x loops. 0 pips = about 27 sec; 2 pips = about 25 sec; 4 pips = about 23 sec. Adding thrusters didn't make a change if up, but slowed things down a bit when down, and even more when left or right, and the more pips the worse things slowed down.

2. Perform 5x rolls. Pips or thrusters didn't make a difference. All took about 18 seconds.

3. Perform a full yaw turn. Pips didn't make a difference with all about 32 seconds. Thrusters in the opposite direction did slow things down.

Just for kicks tried a single loop at full throttle. As we all know, this was slow at about 29 sec with 0 pips and 30 sec with 2 or 4 pips.

Now I'm not sure what to make of all these numbers. The thrusters don't seem to help if you have the throttle in the blue, but the fastest way to turn about may be to half roll while throttling back and pulling back while using turusters. :P

Another thing is that the turusters may not make you do something faster, but it may change your position relative to the target, so your loop may move down and behind relative to your target, and etc.

I think I may try just keeping the throttle in the blue when maneuvering and use thrusters primarily at lower speeds and see how that works. And I don't think 1 or 2 pips in engines will help me line up on a ship faster than throttling back a bit and using trusters. Anyway, I guess a Python is as good as any ship to start experimenting with. And who know, it may be totally different with different ships and thruster classes and etc...

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:24 pm

Well, I couldn't keep my thumb off the thrusters, but they seem to have a good effect at low speed in twisting turning dogfights. Combine that with the throttle in the blue seems to give the best performance. I suppose pips in ENG would help, but I'd usually rather be recharging my weapons cap or maintaining shields while those turrets are firing at me. I suppose toggling between 2SYS/4WEP and 2SYS/4ENG in a tight turn might be useful, but doing that manually is a pain.

UnmarkedBoxcar wrote:Also nice to bear in mind that the more pips you have to weapons, the more damage those weapons will do...

I think you were right. This was my experience. After reviewing those charts, I thought I'd try 3 pips in SYS and 3 pips in WEP. Then I went up against a master Anaconda, as they seem to be the baddest asses around these days. I could shoot pretty much all I wanted, but he didn't seem to be taking much damage. Meanwhile, he could turn and make several firing passes at me. When it was over he'd taken down about 2 1/2 rings and it took a long time to kill him. Then I put 2 pips in SYS and 4 pips in WEP and found another master Anaconda. This time the fight was over much more quickly and he barely took down 1/2 ring.

So after a couple more hours experience, and following some good tips about systems pips and fire groups, I'm having a grand old time in the Python. Having 50% more firepower in the main guns compared to a Vulture, plus a couple turrets to finish off small ships that get behind me, is working really well. And with 2 pips in SYS the shields rarely loose more than a ring when dealing with a wing. Anybody else barely touches me. Now I need to get some more experience with F.A. off.

I was thinking of switching to beams for the turrets. The power is there, and if they mainly fire when my main guns are off target then I don't think there will be a heat or WEP cap recharge issue.

Return to “General Discussion”