The Python loadout thread: Big and ... strong?

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: The Python loadout thread: Big and ... strong?

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:01 am

I just read this and am bumping it so I can find it again. Lazy.

I think I'll try 3 large gimballed pulses that I'll shoot, and 2 medium turreted pulses on auto, and see how that works.
It's time to give this another go.

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:28 am

It seems I finally come to terms with my dear Bloody Mess, now almost completely A-specced. With 3x C3 Turret Bursts and 2 gimballed C2's, it works satisfactorily. But you have really be keen on firing those SCB's in time, even with shield boosters the shields go down quite quickly when under fire.
On a side note, I was able to start and complete Reboot three times in a row (!) after my drives were taken out and below-20% hull while hunted by a pack of enemies, don't remember which, Python or Vultures among them; and was finally destroyed because I couldn't manage to align with the escape vector for some reason. That snake has a tough hide.
Just have to figure out how to use FA off without getting about 3 km away from my target every time until the turn is completed ...

@JohnLuke Pleasure, and thanks to everybody posting his and her impressions here.
@Roger You can always bookmark the main Ship Loadout List thread.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:13 pm

@ uvelius - Ha! I just spotted that loadout list thread 30 sec before reading your reply. ;)

Only been properly in the Python about an hour and already getting much better. Having 50% more large HP firepower than the Vulture is very nice, but the shields do drop surprisingly fast. In my first outing I lost shields and some hull after being rammed multiple times and not being fast enough on the SCB, even though it was live.

My main concern now is the medium turrets that keep firing wildly when the targets deploy chaff. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before a cop gets hit by a stray shot. Even when aiming forward, it's kind of a shock to let off the trigger and have them still firing, but then it's great to see them keep firing on a target that is pulling up out of range of the main guns. It would be nice to have in inhibit button, or different settings, so you don't have to mess with the panel. I haven't had a chance yet to see them in action against pesky wingmen.

I'll keep with the Python for another couple weeks before switching to the Anaconda on my run towards Elite.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:36 pm

Quickest way to silence turrets in my experience is to have a weapon group without them, switching into that will stop them firing.
You can just quickly blink between groups to archive this.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:41 pm

TorTorden wrote:Quickest way to silence turrets in my experience is to have a weapon group without them, switching into that will stop them firing.

Great tip! :)

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master
CMDR: UnmarkedBoxcar
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:39 pm

TorTorden wrote:Quickest way to silence turrets in my experience is to have a weapon group without them, switching into that will stop them firing.

Beat me to it.

:D

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:42 pm

Roger Wilco, what setup are you running in your Python right now?

Just asking because Python shields are generally pretty good, I just wanna see if I can help solve your shielding problems.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:38 pm

UnmarkedBoxcar wrote:Roger Wilco, what setup are you running in your Python right now?

Just asking because Python shields are generally pretty good, I just wanna see if I can help solve your shielding problems.

This should be it ... here
I may add more SCBs if I find I go through them too quickly.

My first experience was a 3-wing of Clipper and 2 Cobras. The Clipper rammed me when he came up to scan (or maybe I was going fast) and that nearly knocked out my shields. I quickly dispatched him with 3 fixed beams, but his wingmen started shooting me and I couldn't turn on them and hit them very well with the fixed beams. Then one rammed into me, and about then, or a few shots later, my shields went. This whole time I had an active SCB but I forgot as I was trying to figure out how to get on target with the Cobras. I wasn't used to loosing a shield that fast with the Vulture.

After I changed to the current setup I did much better. But even taking on a single Anaconda, if he turned to shoot I couldn't get out of the way very well and we'd hammer each other. The shields dropped much faster than when that happened in a Vulture, but this time I remembered the SCB.

I may need to change my pips. In the Vulture I was usually 4 into weapons and 1 each for engines and systems, unless my shield was a little low and I'd have 4W 0E 2S. I'd only put pips into engines when boosting to another area or for a few seconds after boosting in a dog fight. I never really noticed a difference between 0 & 1 pip in engines during a fight as the Vulture is so slow either way. I was probably doing the same with the Python, but I've only flown about an hour since changing weapons. I think I tried 3 pips in weapons but they didn't last long enough. Maybe with the turrets disabled until wingmen start bugging me I can just use the 3 gimballed pulse lasers. Also a little more experience with getting out of the way should help.

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:56 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:I may need to change my pips.

Yeah, the two things I'd suggest are double-checking your outfitting screen to make sure you have a 6A Shield gen and not a 5A on accident (It has happened before :D)

And also, check out these charts (Pips can be very important depending on the situation you find yourself in):

Obviously that data is a little...dated. But I'm not sure Frontier has changed the way pips affect shielding and weapon effectiveness, perhaps someone else knows better than I?

EDIT: Taken from this thread on Frontier's main forums.

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:25 pm

Wow thanks, great. So pips do more than just let recharge faster.

Note: NPC Vultures shouldn't be underestimated. They often sport a Class3 PA which do hit hard against a Python, and they can eat away your subsystems pretty fast (had even a one-shot against my life support once).
So beware.

Return to “General Discussion”