Cygni X-3

Post your fabulous screenshots of Elite: Dangerous here!
Mattwood
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Dread Pirate Willy
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Cygni X-3

Postby Mattwood » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:56 pm

Has anyone seen this before?

I was searching for a supergiant and was trying out all known names, plus some shortened versions of the names.

Was surprised when galaxy map threw me all the way out here, 35kLY from my current position in NGC 7822.. From what i can tell it's completely inaccessible, there doesn't seem to be many, if any systems in its vicinity, theres none up and none down. Looks like it's got 2 black holes in there.

I do appreciate that there will be places we can't visit, but does anyone know if this system serves some purpose or any extra information on it?

Oxyorum
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Oxyorum

Re: Cygni X-3

Postby Oxyorum » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:48 pm

Yeah. I've known about that system for a while. Like you, I found it looking for blue supergiants (bet you wanted to find Cygni X-1).

I don't believe the system has any extra purpose, other than trolling people with how far away and inaccessible it is. In fact, its been confirmed by Frontier that there is no way to get there at the moment (not sure where I read this though). Someday we will have 100+ LY warp drives that can go that far, someday...

Mattwood
Novice
Novice

Postby Mattwood » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:04 pm

Bingo, yeah that's what i was looking for, doing a generic search for Cygni brought up this blackhole system.

Oh, if you manage to find the source for that i'd be interested in reading it, i'll have a google myself in the meantime.

Someday...

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:35 am

I sincerely hope those 100ly+ drives is limited in some way other than fuel.

Like a new new super jump drive that destroys itself after, say after three jumps or something.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Oxyorum
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Oxyorum

Postby Oxyorum » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:22 am

True, or else they'd be OP as heck.
Although, we may reach a point where even those drives cannot go.
Our galaxy is pretty huge. :)

Mattwood
Novice
Novice

Postby Mattwood » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:21 am

TorTorden wrote:I sincerely hope those 100ly+ drives is limited in some way other than fuel.

Like a new new super jump drive that destroys itself after, say after three jumps or something.

Disposable frame shift drives, get your disposable frameshift drives!

Oxyorum wrote:True, or else they'd be OP as heck.
Although, we may reach a point where even those drives cannot go.
Our galaxy is pretty huge. :)

Yeah agreed, it'd effectively reduce the size of the galaxy and take a whole lot of fun away with it, could be interesting for a few jumps though.
Or a one-time 500LY/1000ly jump drive, in the grand scheme of things 1000ly isn't far at all but gets you out of the bubble area and mostly undiscovered space.

Jaimes
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Jaimes

Postby Jaimes » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:54 am

Or a new tech that uses ammo (1 charge) in the utility slot that allows the FSD to hyperjump or create a temporary wormhole. The tech would have an upper limit of say 10k LY, be inaccurate in that you choose a target and it will put you in a random system within 100-200LY of the target system.

I like the idea of wormholes. They are theoretically possible and I know I read somewhere that FD was wondering how to incorporate it at one point or another, but not "shrink" the size of the galaxy too much.

Armored
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Armored

Postby Armored » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:11 am

I'd rather see something like Jump Portals like in Stargate. One can pay a large fee to use the gate to traverse the galaxy to arrive on the other side where man has started to setup more inhabited systems.

Stargate Portal in Space.
► Show Spoiler
A Galactic Journey - (cmdrarmored.com)

anikaiful
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Mir Fnar
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby anikaiful » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:39 pm

Armored wrote:I'd rather see something like Jump Portals like in Stargate. One can pay a large fee to use the gate to traverse the galaxy to arrive on the other side where man has started to setup more inhabited systems.

Maybe someday (but likely not in our lifetime) humans or some other species invents somesuch...

Armored
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Armored

Postby Armored » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:52 pm

anikaiful wrote:
Armored wrote:I'd rather see something like Jump Portals like in Stargate. One can pay a large fee to use the gate to traverse the galaxy to arrive on the other side where man has started to setup more inhabited systems.

Maybe someday (but likely not in our lifetime) humans or some other species invents somesuch...

Well now we can just use FSD Boosts.
A Galactic Journey - (cmdrarmored.com)

Return to “Screenshots”