Seeking Clarification: Zero-G environments?

Eveything that is canon in the Elite: Dangerous universe.
UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master
CMDR: UnmarkedBoxcar
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Seeking Clarification: Zero-G environments?

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:49 pm

I am not exactly well versed in Elite lore, though I am trying to make up for it by at least being well-read in all things lore-related.

My question right now is that, if I'm not mistaken, outside of the star port's letterbox, or an atmospheric environment, spacecraft in the Elite: Dangerous universe are operating in Zero-G, yes? That is to say, that a pilot or commander, even of larger patrol/frigate/large freighter type craft (Python, Anaconda, T-9, etc...), would still only be able to move around in Zero G inside their ship, given the absence of any sort of artificial gravity aboard, correct?

I think I'm mainly asking for clarification so that I can write a bit more confidently without game-breaking, and also because I got a look at the interior of a T-9 cockpit/bridge for the first time today. Holy cow it looks awesome. Two stories? Three chairs? Yes please. There's something very industrial and spacey about its look and design. But it has also become quite apparent to me that the bridges and cockpits in E:D seem to have been designed with gravity in mind. Like the double-deckered T-9 (complete with a door on each deck), or the complete absence of visible handrails inside larger ships. How would a commander cope with such an environment in Zero-G? Magnetic boots? (that's my best guess)

Or is it generally suggested that people try not to move around too much in space? That seems silly, given the sheer size of some of these ships. Also given the fact that the Anaconda is large enough to demand (in my estimation) at least SOME sort of crew. There are three seats on the bridge, with a whole lot more space... I would imagine that a ship that size would have a flight crew of at LEAST five or so people... not to mention engineers, etc... I mean... c'mon! It's a frigate for heaven's sake!

Anyway... just postulating. I'd like a bit more grounding before I actually start including ships in space in my silly little fan fiction. Straylight does a great job in the serial novella that he's working on right now (which all of you should go read and get caught up on, by the way.) I just want to make sure I'm working with the same sort of information...

I'll quit asking dumb questions now and give folks a chance to give answers before I keep rambling on :D

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master

Re: Seeking Clarification: Zero-G environments?

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:57 pm

Example: Here's the bridge of a Python.

Doesn't seem designed around Zero-G...right?

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:00 pm

Hmm...though upon closer inspection I do see a few handrails...

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:35 pm

From what I remember from a newsletter about the suits and stuff, FD specify that the suit have magnets in the boots to facilitate moving around so no I don't think ED universe has artificial gravity yet.

Besides if a Python or small craft had artificial gravity why would the stations spin ?

Found it.

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcb ... f703580f39

Another avenue for exploration is how the pilot or crew navigates within the starship, when in free space. There is no ‘magical’ anti-gravity, but walkways/floors designed to be stood upon are ferromagnetic, and tiny electromagnets built in to the soles of shoes (they are very small indeed, so shoes are still elegant, lightweight affairs –heavy boots are not needed). Additionally the ship has many convenient handholds for easy manoeuvring. The less basic suits include micro thrusters, to aid zero-G movement – and providing a useful edge in zero-G combat!

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Postby Gorf » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:19 pm

Don't forget - planetary landings are going to be a future expansion. Gravity will act on the crew during atmospheric flight, so the placement of all the controls have to accommodate this.

The ISS is modular and (as far as I can tell) there's no defined "floor". The space shuttle spent some of its mission time in atmospheric flight so although the bulk of the crew's time is in zero G, there is a floor and all the controls are arranged and labelled on the assumption that the floor is under the crewmember.

If there's no answer in any of the lore already created, you can make your own based on whether you want ships to have their own gravity or not. There's no point to artificial gravity in stations - the opposing effect of the gravity just a couple of kilomtres overhead would largely counteract the gravity underfoot. It's not even desirable: Having a very low fake gravity from centripetal force based on rotation means that the crew can move one tonne cargo canisters by themselves.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about "breaking" lore. Comic book writers don't care. Even the filmmakers aren't bothered. And the Animatrix positively encouraged different interpretations of the pre- and post- timeframe of the Matrix film.

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Postby smartroad » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:13 pm

I belive the DB said that there is no artifical gravity outside of spinning to create it (hence why all stations spin)
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:27 pm

Our ships can spin as well ;) Some better than others.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:23 am

TorTorden wrote:
Another avenue for exploration is how the pilot or crew navigates within the starship, when in free space. There is no ‘magical’ anti-gravity, but walkways/floors designed to be stood upon are ferromagnetic, and tiny electromagnets built in to the soles of shoes (they are very small indeed, so shoes are still elegant, lightweight affairs –heavy boots are not needed). Additionally the ship has many convenient handholds for easy manoeuvring. The less basic suits include micro thrusters, to aid zero-G movement – and providing a useful edge in zero-G combat!

Awesome, thank you!

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Postby Gorf » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:27 am

TorTorden wrote:...I don't think ED universe has artificial gravity yet.

Interesting that in the next millenium we have conquered warping space to travel interstellar distance within seconds, stuck two fingers up at Einstein so we can travel interplanetary distances at thousands of times the speed of light (and back again) without having to mess about with the clocks; yet we haven't worked out how to duplicate the attraction effect of a massive object on a fractionally massive object.

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:18 am

Gorf wrote:
TorTorden wrote:...I don't think ED universe has artificial gravity yet.

Interesting that in the next millenium we have conquered warping space to travel interstellar distance within seconds, stuck two fingers up at Einstein so we can travel interplanetary distances at thousands of times the speed of light (and back again) without having to mess about with the clocks; yet we haven't worked out how to duplicate the attraction effect of a massive object on a fractionally massive object.

Especially since most current theories or scientific basis for superluminal travel have a lot to do with manipulating gravity :mrgreen:

Return to “Official Lore Talk”