The Vulture loadout Thread: Plasma, Beam, Cannon, Shield Boosters ...

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

The Vulture loadout Thread: Plasma, Beam, Cannon, Shield Boosters ...

Postby uvelius » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:53 am

For an overview over different Ship Loadout threads, please look here.

Note: The following analysis applies to pre-Engineer builds. With the introduction of Engineers, a lot stuff like power issues and thermal problems can be solved through good engineering, making previously unusable builds quite capable.
If you like the Vulture, you might also want to check out the FAS.

The Vulture is an extremely powerful yet power hungry bird. Therefore, power management is quite delicate.
Let me share my experiences.

GENERAL:
A grade Power Plant, A grade Power Distributor.

DEFENSIVE
I have read that a D5 Shield Gen coupled with Shield Boosters is only as power demanding as better Shield Gens and Shield Cells. So far I was astonished how well the coupling of D5 SG with 2xA and 1x B Shield Boosters do work. No power issues. With a Plasma Acc/Pulse loadout, I only have to deactivate the B Shield Booster.
Any experiences with such shield efficiency calculations?

OFFENSIVE
All Class 3.

Burst g/Burst g:
Too power hungry. Issues even with 4 pips in Weps.

Pulse g/Pulse g or /Burst g:
Just too easy. Pops everything in a good time. No power issues.

Pulse g/Burst g:
Just too easy. Pops everything even faster.
For fastkilling-only I prefer a combo of C3 Burst (G) and C3 Pulse (G). You might consider creating two fire groups, one with both on primary plus KWS in secondary (not in CZ of course) and one with Pulse and Burst separately. So you can empty your weapon capacitor, then switch and either do much damage with continuous Burst-only, without Capacitor recharge, or continuously Pulse-only, with lower effect but slowly recharging Capacitor.
Anyway, a disco Vulture is really a grinding machine. Fast killer, not much fun.

Burst g / Cannon g:
Much fun, especially with good shot placement (Cannon after shields are down). Pops Power Plants like a charm. Very satisfying *boom* and explosions. Drawback: I always run out of ammo with cannons.
In RES: Is better when Solo hunting in a RES and using the cannon exclusively on big targets,m but even then.
In CZ: Reload issue and number of targets makes it quite unusable.
In Wings: Simply too quickly out of ammo, leaving me with just one laser or the option to head out and reload.

Pulse g / Plasma:
A real charm. Requires good skills to aim properly, also requires to claw into the target and stick to it really close (or "play golf" / WWI torpedo submarine style of course), I like it. Sticking really close should also earn your opponent some friendly fire if other ships start targeting you.
Power use through firing is not an issue since I try to place single well-placed shots, not steams of projectiles.
Reloading is therefore not a big issue as well, contrary to the Cannon. Those 100 shots take you a long way when saving them for the really big fish.

Drawback: Enormous heat output means that even when pulling the trigger the first time, you might get Thermal Overload, meaning the weapon does not fire -- you really have to keep your target in your sights for some time until the shot is finally released. No idea how to manage the thermal issue better.

In RES: Either reduce shield power (disabling Shield Cells/Shield Boosters, therefore Cells might be better if you have to do a runner). Or save energy somehow else.

In CZ: Fine. Since I can disable the Kill Warrant Scanner, I only need to disable a B Shield Booster, keeping 2 A class Boosters still active.

In Wings: Fine. You are the one getting really really close to the opponents, so a wingman with distance friendly weaponry (lasers) is perfect. Also perfect if he/she can take care of anything coming up at the tail.
Besides, you can take the role of Target Control: Since you have to get close to be most effective, you want to do attack runs only on juicy targets. So it is a good role to be the one who assigns targets -- stay at a distance and flick through all targets in sensor range before assigning the best target to the wing. Meanwile, you wingmen can hunt and shoot minor targets with their distance weapon loadouts.

EDIT Great, thanks for the hint Innocentius. I will try that!
Last edited by uvelius on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:02 am, edited 6 times in total.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: The Vulture loadout Thread: Plasma, Beam, Cannon, Shield Boosters ...

Postby Loriath » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:36 am

With my Vulture, I am running C3 Gimbal Pulses, D Thrusters, A FSD, A Power Distributor, A Powerplant. C shields. 2 X A Shield Boosters, Chaff, KWS, Basic Discovery Scanner, FSD Interdictor, A2 Fuel scoop (Vulture is a Pig on Gas). I still have 16T Cargo.

I have set the Basic Discovery scanner on Level 3, Powered off my hatch. FSD is on level 3 as is my FSD Interdictor and the Fuel Scoop. No need for them when in battle.

Weapons deployed, 93% and no modules power down. Here is a link to my Build, but with a few changes, the power is Lower than indicated. Even this is under 100% with everything on. I want to get A thrusters, and will have to play more with the power settings, but its not an issue
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Innocentius
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Innocentius Lacrim

Postby Innocentius » Sat May 23, 2015 7:31 pm

I finally found a Vulture spec that I really like. The dual pulses are very nice, and they can do some beating for a long time. I wished that there would be a way to do more burst and go through my capacitor a bit faster when I needed so. I tried having 1 gimballed beam and 1 plasma accelerator, but that was no good. The power issues were huge and also the plasma was left unused very often.

So I finally settled for 1 gimballed large beam and 1 gimballed large pulse. Very nice effect. I can do a much faster burst, but there is also the longetivity I sometimes need. I did a secondary firegroup where to beam was not used (when I need to lower temperature for example). Found out that I do not really need that firegroup. Beam and pulse on same trigger and KWS on second one. Had to degrade KWS to E-grade though, but no worries. Vulture is a close distance fighter anyhow.

I also put in 1 A class, 1 B class and 1 D class shield booster. Mainly to mix and match them as I switch up specs a bit (do not have enough power to have them all on when weapons deployed, but I manage to have 2 anyhow. Put in A-class thrusters so I can park my scavenger bird right on where I want it. Huge fun to fly. (I have anaconda as my second ship and I sometimes fly her to combat, but I really shouldn't... this is equally effective as I can be SO close to my target that the weapons just hit the power plant very nicely).

Main point of this message. In my usage 1 Beam and 1 Pulse is a lot btter than 2 Pulses.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Sat May 23, 2015 8:36 pm

I am going to try a Beam and a Cannon next.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Sat May 23, 2015 10:29 pm

I have a beam and a pulse on mine, both gimbaled. I find the beam quicker to take the shields down and then the pulse can hammer at subsystems relentlessly.

So I have the beam on trigger 1 and the KWS on trigger 2 of the first fire group, and the pulse on trigger 1 and the beam on trigger 2 of the second group.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus

Postby clivewil » Sun May 24, 2015 3:12 am

Flip wrote:I have a beam and a pulse on mine, both gimbaled. I find the beam quicker to take the shields down and then the pulse can hammer at subsystems relentlessly.
So I have the beam on trigger 1 and the KWS on trigger 2 of the first fire group, and the pulse on trigger 1 and the beam on trigger 2 of the second group.

i use a similar setup here too, but with different fire groups - both of my groups have both lasers on primary, group 1's alt fire is KWS, group 2's alt fire is chaff. i usually carry an ADS that is interchangable with the KWS in the modules screen, in case i end up in an unexplored system

the lasers chew through the Wep cap reasonably fast but not too much - using them is like playing a musical instrument, pausing for a breath now and then.

it might just be an illusion or wishful thinking, but Wep cap seems to recharge a fair bit quicker if it's not completely exhausted, so i always try to leave at least one bar showing in it before pausing for a recharge
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Sun May 24, 2015 12:04 pm

I just added a 5A shield generator to my Vulture yesterday. I had to downgrade my KWS and Life Support a bit to make the power management work out. I have 3 shield cells on board, but only power one at a time. I also have 2 chaffs on board.... same deal.... power one at a time. I like being defensively strong and being able to stay in the RES for a long time when I get a good spawn. :D I am using two 3E gimballed pulse lasers and while I do miss the sound of a beam laser ripping through a ship, I am very happy with the performance of the pulse versions on this ship and the power flexibility to outfit the ship the way I want it.

Here's my loadout, if you are interested.
Last edited by JohnLuke on Mon May 25, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Postby Gorf » Sun May 24, 2015 2:58 pm

Two large gimballed pulses for me. A rated modules as big as will fit, except for the E rated life support.

I'm also carrying a D rated KWS and one point defence. Internally, it's an A5 sheld gen and A4 fuel scoop. I also have a pair of shield boosters but can only have one turned on at any given time because of power. Power issues (116% with both boosters enabled, 110% with just one) mean I have to manually retract guns before I can jump.

Edit: forgot the A4 fuel scoop. Much bigger than needed, because the Vulture can stay near the star for longer than other ships.

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Mon May 25, 2015 9:52 am

JohnLuke wrote:I have 3 shield boosters on board, but only power one at a time.

Are you talking about shield boosters, or shield cells? Because if I see the point of powering the shield cells alternatively, I don't see it for shield boosters. Since they don't use ammo, why would you turn one off and another on?
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Mon May 25, 2015 2:50 pm

Flip wrote:Are you talking about shield boosters, or shield cells? Because if I see the point of powering the shield cells alternatively, I don't see it for shield boosters. Since they don't use ammo, why would you turn one off and another on?

Whoops! My bad, sorry. I meant to say shield cell. I have edited my original post, so that I don't confuse anyone else. :P
Last edited by JohnLuke on Mon May 25, 2015 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Return to “General Discussion”