Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
stummies
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Stummies
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Python or FDL?

Postby stummies » Mon May 18, 2015 11:15 am

Just a quick add to my post earlier about the FDL. Refitted it to use the Class 4 PA, my lord that gun is powerful. Being fixed I'm still in need of practice but that thing obliterates pretty much anything. I had to remove some of the shield boosters but they're still 1.5x strong than what my Vulture was using. The other issue is power, more than before. I'm using 4 class 2 pulse and the class 4 PA. Powering everything is fine but trying to fire the pulse lasers and the PA doesn't work very well. The PA eats the capacitor and adds quite a bit of heat to the ship, had 1 heat warning already. Previously with the cannon I would continue to pluck away with the lasers as I lined up the cannon, now with the PA I have to hold off shooting my lasers once the shield is down.

All of that said, I can kill stuff a quicker with this setup. PA has 105 rounds when it is full, I managed to accrue about 2.2 mill cr in an hour and only used about 40 PA rounds in that time so ammo isn't an issue really. The ammo is expensive, costs 10-20k to rearm (more or less).

Going to keep this setup for a few days yet to see if I want to keep it or not. So far though I'm liking this setup better, bit more quirky but otherwise fun.

http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=60O,A725R ... ,7Su7go7go

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master
CMDR: UnmarkedBoxcar
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Mon May 18, 2015 1:37 pm

Trying to decide if I should fit a PA under Red's nose, or keep my Rail Gun...

MehlLodbrok
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Mehl Lodbrok

Postby MehlLodbrok » Wed May 20, 2015 8:39 am

PA>Railgun

PA is like a boopgun, i like it.

Whiteneck
Novice
Novice

Postby Whiteneck » Wed May 20, 2015 8:50 am

I have both, and they each fulfill a very specific role.

My FDL is utilized in Wings in which my wingman is in the Clipper, which has a very fast max speed. Neither the Python, nor the Vulture can keep up in BH RES with the clipper, so for me it was a must have. The huge hardpoint, combined with cannons, or beams, enables one to hunt wings, Anacondas, pythons in a matter of seconds. Much faster then the Python due to speed, maneuverability etc. However, moving the FDL is absolutely miserable due to the poor jump range, so it's stays put in RES sites pretty much. It is really, a luxry heavy fighter. Plan on 80+M cr to outfit it .

The Python is a multirole, pure and pure. It's pretty good at about everything, but isn't great at anything either (with exception to faction rep grinding, in which it is excellent!). Maneuverability is meh, so it's not my preferred for RES BH. It does however run fantastic in Conflict Zones with turrets. And cargo available is also great for routes with require a medium pad. Not many other ships have that capability, and there are some 2800-3200cr per ton routes still out there to exploit the trading capability of the Python.

I'd recommend the Python if you currently are not trading in a T7, T9, or Anaconda. If you feeling like spoiling yourself on performance and firepower, impulse buy the FDL. I have never regretted it, and still fly her at least 1-2 nights a week with friends.

My $0.02cr

Whiteneck
Novice
Novice

Postby Whiteneck » Wed May 20, 2015 8:56 am

UnmarkedBoxcar wrote:Trying to decide if I should fit a PA under Red's nose, or keep my Rail Gun...

Absolutely! If you got a ship that can fit the biggest, bad-ass weapon in game currently, dear God outfit it!

I've run all the cannon configs on the FDL, and always go back to 2m Beams, 2m cannons, and the PA. Anacondas can't stand a chance with that loadout.

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Wed May 20, 2015 3:14 pm

I've been using the PA for a few days now and will never ever go back to rails. The ammunition is almost a non-factor, as I've never dropped below twenty rounds (and that's hunting for around two to three hours without reloading.) And the satisfaction of watching subsystems go pop when you land that direct hit is...unbeatable.

I have now been converted to B rank weaponry, for sure... now all I need is a huge hardpoint so I can fit an A rank PA :D

stummies
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Stummies

Postby stummies » Wed May 20, 2015 5:09 pm

I've been playing around with a few different fittings on my FDL, the 4 pulse are too much with the PA. Using 4 miniguns with it work better since they don't add much heat and allow me to fire both groups if I want where as with pulse I have to limit my laser fire if I want to be able to fire the PA.

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Wed May 20, 2015 5:41 pm

stummies wrote:I've been playing around with a few different fittings on my FDL, the 4 pulse are too much with the PA. Using 4 miniguns with it work better since they don't add much heat and allow me to fire both groups if I want where as with pulse I have to limit my laser fire if I want to be able to fire the PA.

That's one of the main reasons I'm running Multi-cannons in my medium hardpoints. Not because they do the most damage, but they do a GREAT job of helping me manage my heat with the beams and PA I use. That and I just think they're... satisfying. They make Red feel like a much bigger ship than she actually is :D.

I'm a little worried about how the changes to Turret functionality will effect my combat style, as for the time being I don't need to worry about assigning them to a fire group (bonus). I just switch them from forward fire to target only when I want them to start pew pewing... and then back to forward fire when I want them off. This leaves my two fire groups open for Beams/PA...

I may just have to switch between multiple groups once the changes are live... we'll see how it plays out. Minor details.

Sorry... this post was slightly tangential >.< Don't mean to derail the topic.

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Thu May 21, 2015 10:57 pm

I finally cracked the 50 mil border with the 3-4 CGs that ended / are about to end. Now it is time to consider seriously buying some bigger fish. And yes, I am looking forward to upgrading from medium class to BIG, so, my question is ...

... how much min cash would you say is sensible
- for a Python
- for a FDL
both equipped for basic PvE RES, also being more powerful than a Vulture, to get more credits to upgrade them step by step; including insurance of course. Have read the 66 mil loadout , any comments concerning my needs?
Yes, I do want a Class 4 PA, but a Class 3 is also very satisfying if the other areas make up for it. I don't like the thought of FDL power issues very much to be honest ... had enough of that in my Freagle and my Vulture. Tell me about Thermal Overload with the PA, even before its first shot.

And yes I wait for 1.3 beta, yet I would like to make up my mind in advance since no real combat ship seems to be introduced there.
Thanks for advice and hints!

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Thu May 21, 2015 11:10 pm

Well... I guess it's always a little hard to tell exactly what someone is looking for. Red is what I might call a "mid-range" or "upper mid-range" Python variant. She is a balance between lightweight components, and heavier versions of the internals that I care most about. (Shields, Distributor, and FSD.)

She makes a very good medium trade ship at 220T capacity, and RES fighting is a breeze. I may swap out the gimbals for fixed Beams, and the Multi-cannons are purely for my enjoyment (Though they also serve to mitigate heat. I do not have overheating issues unless I'm being stupid.)

Here's my loadout, clocking in at just over 100Million. You can shave quite a bit off of that by using a Rank C shield generator instead of a rank A, and also may consider Pulse or Burst lasers in place of beams (significantly cheaper.)

► Show Spoiler

When I very first started flying in Red, she was worth about 73 Million. I was very very happy with her then, and I'm still happy with her 30 Million credits later.

EDIT: Here is a loadout very similar to the one I started with, just over 70 Million.
► Show Spoiler

Return to “General Discussion”