Why do you take part in Community Goals?

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Abil Midena
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Why do you take part in Community Goals?

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Fri May 15, 2015 8:34 pm

StaticRadion wrote:For the most part CG's are fun and a diversion from the normal grind of the game, but why do you take part in them?

Personally in the past I took part in CG's because it was a decent boots to my income at the 40% level, but after getting a Type 9 in addition to my Python they are for the most part a waste of time.

At a high paying trade CG the top 5% is occupied by CMDR's often trading 12-20k+ worth of commodities to forward the goal and earn 18 million credits or so as a reward. In a Type-9 that is 24-40 round trips to the turn in and on a normal trade rout that would earn 21-35 million. So what is the draw or allure?

I agree 100%. There is no draw for me, other than "to participate".

IMHO: CG's are for new people, or people with ships Cobra/T6 and smaller. The extra money offered as a reward is big for them.

For others, there's just no incentive because they can make more money per hr on their regular trade routes. The ship % discounts might entice people, but again, for the money you save vs the time you could have been trading, you end up 'losing' money.

The only other variable is for those that play in OPEN. CG's provide a concentration of targets for the pew pew'ers.
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

Arda
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Seantier

Postby Arda » Sat May 16, 2015 9:57 am

I like this analysis by Stoicfury on the main board.

He have done a lot of work analyzing CG compared to Trade profits. His conclusion is basically:
At this time, from a profit standpoint it makes sense to participate in community goals but only until you get comfortably into the top 40% (Tier C) bracket if your regular trading route is significantly more profitable.

It makes sense to do them up to the 40% Tier C mark and that's about it- from a trader perspective.
On the other hand it is fun to be in the top 5%- makes you feel like you are one of the "best" :)

stummies
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Stummies

Postby stummies » Sat May 16, 2015 11:19 am

Arda wrote:I like this analysis by Stoicfury on the main board.

He have done a lot of work analyzing CG compared to Trade profits. His conclusion is basically:
At this time, from a profit standpoint it makes sense to participate in community goals but only until you get comfortably into the top 40% (Tier C) bracket if your regular trading route is significantly more profitable.

It makes sense to do them up to the 40% Tier C mark and that's about it- from a trader perspective.
On the other hand it is fun to be in the top 5%- makes you feel like you are one of the "best" :)

I was looking for information such as this, thanks for sharing.

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion

Postby StaticRadion » Sat May 16, 2015 12:00 pm

Arda wrote:It makes sense to do them up to the 40% Tier C mark and that's about it- from a trader perspective.

I like facts and figures and though capable of making similar assessments I never went to the trouble of figuring it out to that level of detail. I knew that the 40% C rank tier was good for me though it is fantastic to have my feeling backed up by someone else and their research. Thanks for the link.

Arda
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby Arda » Wed May 20, 2015 8:02 am

So I did the PROTECTING AGAINST THE ELEMENTS CG and timed it pretty well to Top 40% and got 8,000,000 Cr + global awards as bonus.
I sold Non-lethal weapons to the station from Facece and made a de-tour to a station for Imperial Slaves back to Facece.
Considering my "normal" trading "cr per min" and the time spent on the CG I actually came out well on top on this one.

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master
CMDR: UnmarkedBoxcar
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Wed May 20, 2015 3:29 pm

My trade route is only slightly above average (haven't found a GREAT one yet, but working on it.) And since I normally RES farm quite frequently around my "home" system, some CG's are an excuse to go do the same thing in less familiar space. I was in the top 5% in Quivira and am currently in the top 5% in 78 UM, and even though the added boost to being in the top tier isn't quite the same as trade profits (I haven't done the hard math) it's still a nice little boost : )

That, and I've added about five new friends to my friends list, and been booped by Mehl no fewer than five times.

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion

Postby StaticRadion » Wed May 20, 2015 5:16 pm

Finding other CMDRs in or around CG's is an added bonus if you are looking to make friends for sure.

Arda
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby Arda » Thu May 21, 2015 9:49 am

I am going to join the 78 UM tonight. Finally got the Empire Navy Earl rank last night and can now head over to alliance space to grind some rep :) - You can add me to your friend list if you want CMDR Arda.

Julissa Silver
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Julissa Silver

Postby Julissa Silver » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:06 am

Because it would be rude to write them and then not actually take part when they're used, right?
Vice-Deputy Sub-Assistant and Honourary Cider Drinker of The Drunks of Sol (Empire Chapter).

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master
CMDR: UnmarkedBoxcar
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:12 pm

Julissa Silver wrote:Because it would be rude to write them and then not actually take part when they're used, right?

:mrgreen: amen!

Return to “General Discussion”