Python or FDL? (Edit - Python!)

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Python or FDL? (Edit - Python!)

Postby smartroad » Sun May 10, 2015 12:34 pm

Hi all :)

I am currently doing the Diso CG with the hope that I can earn enough to top-up for a new ship. I love both the Python and the FDL but unsure which I should go for. They are so close in price (3M CR difference I think). I am erring on the side of the Python but the FDL's huge hardpoint is so tempting (although given that the 3 weapons for it seem to all be ammo based I hate to think how much it would be to run). That said the Python has a larger potential FSD range.

It will probably be a week or so before I can go for it anyway (even after the CG finishes) but what should I go for when i can?
Last edited by smartroad on Mon May 25, 2015 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Re: Python or FDL?

Postby Loriath » Sun May 10, 2015 12:46 pm

Depends on what you want to do.

If it's pure pew pew, then FDL. If you want to pew pew a little, trade a little, explore a bit, then it's Python.

The FDL is a sexy beast with some huge gun potential but the Python is a fabulous all around ship.

My money is on the Python, but I am holding for 1.3 and the Courier and Diamondback.

It's like waiting for the new model year cars to come out. If you have the money you wait to see the new models. If you want the deal, the dealer needs to clear the lot.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Sun May 10, 2015 12:48 pm

It depends on what you like doing really, the Python fully fitted for combat still easily gives 200T of cargo space, so if you do any trading go for the Python.

If your time if fully combat based and you have no interest in trading then the FDL may be more up your street.

Ammo isn't that expensive, the issue I have is that the cannons and PAs are best at close range, fine for large targets, but not so good for smaller ones.

I haven't tried the FDL, but I can say that a fully upgraded Python is great for combat.

That said if you have the funds to swallow the 10% loss of selling a ship you can always try one and then the other (remember to sell/down grade your modules first)

Edit: well and truly ninja'd by Loriath :)
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

smartroad
Master
Master

Postby smartroad » Sun May 10, 2015 12:53 pm

Good point on waiting for 1.3. Hopefuly I will be on the beta test again so might be able to try out the Diamondback. Mainly it would be multi-purpose, RES pew-pew and some trading, my Asp is my explorer ship for its jump range :D

Probably Python then but will wait for 1.3 now and see what comes. Gives me more time to get money together and maybe have enough to cover insurance and start specing up ;)

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby clivewil » Sun May 10, 2015 1:10 pm

i'd grab a Python now anyway just for the experience, if you haven't owned one before. i owned two FDLs but sold them soon afterwards, wasn't hugely impressed (yes it took me two goes to figure that out)

i too will be checking out the Courier and Diamondback when they arrive, but if owning them required me to sell my Python, i'd happily disregard the 5 mil i'd lose on selling it - you can make that kind of cash in a RES or by trading in a few hours, so it shouldn't hold you back from owning one of ED's classic ships

if trading's your thing, check out the Arro Kop - Ededleen run in the 'trade of the day' thread, or PM me if you can't locate it - it is perfect for the Python, due to one of the destinations being an outpost. you can grind your 5 mil loss back in no time.
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

blazingmaniac
Expert
Expert
CMDR: blazing

Postby blazingmaniac » Sun May 10, 2015 1:44 pm

They Python has such a flexible load out with 3 large and 2 medium hard points. Ok you can fit the Huge PA to the FDL, but aside from that and the huge cannon thats it for the FDL. You can fit a class 3 PA to the Python along with 2 x class 3 beam, burst or pulse laser as well.
I ran 1x class 3 PA, 2 x class 3 pulse and 2 x class 2 cannon on mine and it was superb.

The only thing they python doesn't have is the outright speed and maneuverability of the FDL but hey you have to have compromise somewhere and I would give that up for excellent offensive and defensive and cargo carrying ability.

After the Diso CG finishes I am rebuying a reduced Python if they are still on offer :)

smartroad
Master
Master

Postby smartroad » Sun May 10, 2015 1:51 pm

I do like the look of the Python more than the FDL. The FDL reminds me a little bit of a Hauler :oops: I just wish there were better paint jobs for either, don't care for the single colour ones at the moment and the Sidewinder and Eagle have such variety. Still by the time I can afford one there may be more paint options :D

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Sun May 10, 2015 1:56 pm

I find in the CZ's the Python is more trouble than an Anaconda. I can get right on the Anacondas back and ride the power plant shots with ease, where the Python moves much better.

I can get my Vulture in real close on both with a well timed chaff and full throttle. Then my throttle determines my distance from target, and the thrusters determine my gun position.

I have not come up against an FDL in a CZ yet. But from what I have seen, they are more dangerous due to speed. Sort of like the Viper. It hits like the cobra but that speed makes it dangerous. 2 vipers can give my vulture a hard time. 3 Eagles are worse. Just because they are so nimble. Like Mosquitos and death from a thousand cuts.

My money is on the Python.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus

Postby clivewil » Sun May 10, 2015 3:25 pm

Loriath wrote:my throttle determines my distance from target, and the thrusters determine my gun position.

exactly the technique i use, and it's very effective. i rarely need to touch the throttle during a fight. as you say Pythons can be a bit more twisty and harder to nail down
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

Colin The Grey
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Colin The Grey

Postby Colin The Grey » Sun May 10, 2015 3:28 pm

Short Answer:

Python.

Long Answer:

Pythonnnnnnn!!!!

Seriously though the Python is a great all rounder, and no slouch at Combat either when fully upgraded with A Class Modules, and landing at outposts is a pretty good bonus.

Return to “General Discussion”