Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Trickyhicky
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Trickyhicky
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: What are you doing (ingame) now?

Postby Trickyhicky » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:36 pm

I am currently licking my wounds yet again at Bentham Relay in HIP 67470 system. I tried to go from Kremata to the top of the universe but flew myself into a bit of a Cul de Sac. The idea was to teach me the game as I went and to record it in my log on INARA, cockups and all. My Logbook

It makes me laugh when I scroll down the thread and all the other Commanders have competent next to their names, I expect mine to read Totally Incompetent but i'll take Harmless

This left me with my 3rd ship the Black Rat III battered and bruised out of ammo, damaged and no AFU. I limped into Wang Hub In the Shamo System. There I upgraded to a Diamond Back Scout, which research told me was able to take a bit of a knock, manoeuvrable to be able to avoid interdiction and if necessary defend itself at my level reasonably.

Today is about clearing Black Rat V (Diamond Back Explorer) of superfluous apps that to be quite honest I don't understand and don't bring anything to the game for me. I will then get back to the trail at Lalande 25224 system and continue my trip to Alioth via the back roads and continue my education whilst mapping systems that have probably been mapped a dozen times before ( but it is getting me credits) and camp out under the stars when the old Tachograph tells me it's time for a rest.

The Lessons I need to learn at the moment are:-

1/ How to re Arm my DSS
2/ How to take photos and video
3/ Continue my SRV driving lessons
4/ How to get on with CRUSOE, at the moment she is definitely passive-aggressive towards me. A shout out to RookFett ROOKFETT HCS Help videosfor his informative videos on the voice attack app

So this is Trickyhicky signing off in TB-70 Black Rat V

#hcsvoicepack #voiceattack
Last edited by Trickyhicky on Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Zetr0
Competent
Competent
CMDR: ZETERON

Postby Zetr0 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:20 am

Greetings Commander Trickyhicky -o7-

It is good to read you

Trickyhicky wrote:I am currently licking my wounds yet again at Bentham Relay in HIP 67470 system. I tried to go from Kremata to the top of the universe but flew myself into a bit of a Cul de Sac. The idea was to teach me the game as I went and to record it in my log on INARA, cockups and all. My Logbook

This is truly a fantastic idea and a great resource for new and aspiring commanders - to know the trials, tribulations and pitfalls are shared by all - thanks for sharing.

Trickyhicky wrote:It makes me laugh when I scroll down the thread and all the other Commanders have competent next to their names, I expect mine to read Totally Incompetent but i'll take Harmless

All I can say commander is trial, error, load-out, youtube, trial, error, load-out, refinement - harness your skills - a positive combat technique to learn keeping the throttle int the "blue" when turning, known that when you boost you primarilly effect the thrusters you are currently using "not just forward" and for a more expert technique is the "crazy ivan" ( boosting, turning off flight assist, fliping 180d and then tuning on the flight assist ) this snaps you back on the tail of you opponent and sounds a lot harder than it actually is.

There is no escape from this other than practice, eventually ( it wont take long ) you will be able to hold a loop around an astroid without flight assist on.

There are also plenty of Youtube guides than can help learning to advance you piloting and combat skills.

Trickyhicky wrote:This left me with my 3rd ship the Black Rat III battered and bruised out of ammo, damaged and no AFU. I limped into Wang Hub In the Shamo System. There I upgraded to a Diamond Back Scout, which research told me was able to take a bit of a knock, manoeuvrable to be able to avoid interdiction and if necessary defend itself at my level reasonably.

DBX is a fine choice and very nimble out of the box, this little monster has been quite the main-stay for nipping about the bubble for my adventures.

Trickyhicky wrote:Today is about clearing Black Rat V (Diamond Back Explorer) of superfluous apps that to be quite honest I don't understand and don't bring anything to the game for me. I will then get back to the trail at Lalande 25224 system and continue my trip to Alioth via the back roads and continue my education whilst mapping systems that have probably been mapped a dozen times before ( but it is getting me credits) and camp out under the stars when the old Tachograph tells me it's time for a rest.

I might be wrong fellow commander, but I think Alioth is a permit only system, you will need to obtain a Permit to Jump / Enter the system

You will need to get the controlling faction "Alioth Independents" to Allied to obtain the mission / option to optain a permit. you can take data courier missions or small cargo, market commodity and minning resource missions to gain their favour.

failing that there is always good old fashion bribery... ahem... errr... I mean dontations....

Trickyhicky wrote:The Lessons I need to learn at the moment are:-

1/ How to re Arm my DSS

I will be humbly honest, I don't think I have ever run out of probes, do they not regenerate?

Trickyhicky wrote:2/ How to take photos and video

For pictures I use the following method

press "ctrl+alt+space" this puts you in camera mode, it has keyboard / controller options from there where you can change camera, pitch, angle and zoom etc.

to go back, just press "ctrl+alt+space" again.

I look forward to seeing your adventures

Trickyhicky wrote:3/ Continue my SRV driving lessons

I always pack 2 SRV's ;)

Trickyhicky wrote:4/ How to get on with CRUSOE, at the moment she is definitely passive-aggressive towards me. A shout out to RookFett ROOKFETT HCS Help videosfor his informative videos on the voice attack app

I have registered voice attack too and since the wife and munchkin got me a new cordless headset/mic setup I can see myself spending some more time on this - thanks for sharing the link.

If I get this working even half decently I will be installing "LEGEND" HCS Pack - thats clearly a much needed must - I already have Carina as a Livery Module - be nice to start rounding off

Trickyhicky wrote:So this is Trickyhicky signing off in TB-70 Black Rat V

#hcsvoicepack #voiceattack

A true pleasure to read commander, I noticed the image link was incorrect for the BB forum code as its set as [.img]https://imgur.com/Qc86NFH[./img] ( without the "." after the "[" )

there is the option to select the "BB Code Link" with the "Get Links" over the image, alternatively you can put your own bb code tags around the link -

Using [.img]https://i.imgur.com/Qc86NFH.png[./img] ( without the "." after the "[" )

A pleasure Commander -o7-

Trickyhicky
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Trickyhicky

Postby Trickyhicky » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:25 am

@zetr0 many thanks for taking the time to give tons of advice. It is good to know there are nice Commanders or there to help us returnees/ newbies along the way.

I thought Alistair maybe Permit only, but if I don't face it I won't know how to deal with it and your advice is welcomed. Better get some cash for the bribe if all else fails.

I read with interest about the graphics I will add that to the prpreflight admin tonight.

Your comments about my log have given me encouragement to continue.

I will print this thread out and go through them and add them to my lesson plan.
I
Once again @zert0 thanks for your advice and I look forward to hearing more on the future.

Tricky & Black Rat V out. O7

Zetr0
Competent
Competent

Postby Zetr0 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:10 am

Greetings fellow Commnaders -o7-

Its been a while since my last post, sadly Grinding, grinding, grinding and more grinding....

but..... as you can see....

#33070128 - Dark Wake "Imperial Cutter" Class A Rated

Worth it?

#33070128 - Dark Wake "Imperial Cutter" Class A Rated

Oh Boy! you Betch'ya - she has enough boost to tow a G-Type star from its system! and she is barely engineered!!!!!

Also - for the purists out there ( and my soul as I couldn't stan the thought of another material grind with the DBX )

#33070128 - Mad Mats "Krait Phantom" Explorer / Material Farmer 64Ly+ Range

@Commander Trickyhicky -o7-

My pleasure commander - I use Imgur ( https://imgur.com ) its free for the most part - also when you *click* on the image you can get the BBCODE link that this forum software uses.

Engadine
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Engadine

Postby Engadine » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:33 am

Somehow have ended up doing an Engineer grind, something I thought I'd never do, but turns out I'm rather enjoying it.

Was planning on jumping in the Asp and heading on out for some slow paced exploring, but on having a look at changes to game and in particular exploring since my absence it was clear to see A LOT had changed.

As a result I decided to engineer the FSD of the Ulysses and went in search of Felicity Farseer and I'm currently at Grade 3 having just had to go planet side, in Shinrarta Dezhra, to source some more Phosphorus.

Once I've maxed out the FSD I think I'll head on over to the Dumbbell Sector and lend a hand to the Dumbbell Project: -

The Dumbbell project is an initiative started within the Alliance Elite Diplomatic Corps (AEDC) during April 3301, after the Alliance of Independent Systems announced their colonization programme. The initial scope of our project was to provide good colonization targets within the Dumbbell Sector to build on existing lore. Over time it has developed into a much larger goal; the complete survey of the sector!

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/s ... ct.223660/

o7 Fly safe!

BloodletterUK
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Bloodletter

Postby BloodletterUK » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:33 am

Hey CMDRs,

I have just grinded some mats and am on the way back from my first Guardian ruins. I managed to commit a rookie error the first time by taking the Anaconda instead of a smaller ship. So, after finding a landing spot 18km away from the site, I realised that it would take a long time to drive the SRV to the ruins and would also imperil my ship, when the AI would have to take over and find a landing spot. Won't be doing that again.

I've been playing on Mobius for over a week now, but I'm yet to bump into anyone. Not at Guardian ruins, Sol, Deciat, or Davs Hope :(

- CMDR Bloodletter

Engadine
Competent
Competent

Postby Engadine » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:06 pm

BloodletterUK wrote:
I've been playing on Mobius for over a week now, but I'm yet to bump into anyone. Not at Guardian ruins, Sol, Deciat, or Davs Hope :(

- CMDR Bloodletter

Our paths must have crossed at Davs Hope, as was only there this week as part of my grind for Felicity.

Managed to Engineer the FSD, Sensors and Scanners on the Asp and just going to tweak the Thrusters before I head on out.

On my return I think I'll have a look at Guardians to see what it's all about and what they can offer me.

o7 Fly Safe!

tremor3258
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: TREMOR3258

Postby tremor3258 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:02 pm

Took a break from Robigo (cash/rank/finishing explorer cause why not) to check how ranks were coming and get some engineer unlocks finished. Just need to deliver some alcohol to finish off all the addictions I'm enabling so my starships can get tuned.

Zetr0
Competent
Competent

Postby Zetr0 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:46 am

Greetings fellow Commanders -o7-

I trust everyone is well and the galaxy is spinning in your favour =)

Been out of the bubble for a few days now, learning to Core-Mine properly figured this is one aspect of the Universe I really REALY suck at - so I am out here, to learn.

One is getting there, still more "booms" than cores but I am learning the size and shapes of the most common Core 'Roids

BloodletterUK wrote:Hey CMDRs,

I have just grinded some mats and am on the way back from my first Guardian ruins. I managed to commit a rookie error the first time by taking the Anaconda instead of a smaller ship. So, after finding a landing spot 18km away from the site, I realised that it would take a long time to drive the SRV to the ruins and would also imperil my ship, when the AI would have to take over and find a landing spot. Won't be doing that again.

- CMDR Bloodletter

Truly - Welcome to the Mobius Sector Commander -o7-

I have bumped into many fellow members whom "farm" in Private Group - but most prefer Solo

Last week during the Grind at Jamerson Crash Site - I bumbped into the following Commanders

Commander - ColTan
Commnader - MinMax
Commander - Fluffy Bunny

To be far that was over 2 days, ( I was grinding to fill up my Encoding Mats ).... nearly 300 trips from HIP12099 to Ray Gatway at Diagurandri ( materials trader ) and back again 180Light Year round trip.....

Now, don't judge but after 54,000 Lightyears on the clock just for encoding mats can only be described as Hard Core / Dedicated and down right insane, and you are correct in all three Categories! hence why I have taken a sebatical some 500 Light Years from the bubble in the black to be with some rocks

I have noticed that you mentioned Dav's Hope - if you are interested in meeting up with fellow Commanders for an Adventure, there are a few of us that meet up at Dav's Hope ( usually ) every Wednesday at 19:00 ED Time ( 7pm local UK SOL time ) for fun, frivolity and adventure and ALL are wellcome -

If you are interesed in meeting up please have a read here and also have a read here as well - good times

Engadine wrote:
BloodletterUK wrote:

- CMDR Bloodletter

Our paths must have crossed at Davs Hope, as was only there this week as part of my grind for Felicity.

Managed to Engineer the FSD, Sensors and Scanners on the Asp and just going to tweak the Thrusters before I head on out.

On my return I think I'll have a look at Guardians to see what it's all about and what they can offer me.

o7 Fly Safe!

Greetings Commander Engadine -o7-

If I may, the Guardian Technology can bring some impressive upgrades your way - by far the best ( and most use ) is the Guardian FSD Booster - once you have unlocked this technology you will be able to purchase the FSD Booster from participating stations and they come in 5 fruity flavours -

5H, 4H, 3H, 2H and 1H Classes

with 5H adding and instant 10.5 Light Years to your jump range and 1H adding 4 Light Years to your Jump Range - when paired with a Grade 5 Ranged Engineerd FSD with either Mass Manager effect ( for 5A Drivers or higher ) or Deep Charge for Class 4A or below you can get some impressive Jump ranges e.g. - a simple Asp X build

In practice my Diamond Back Explorer has a 4H Guardian FSD for an Additional 9.3 Light Years to its Jump Range + a 5A grade 5 Range Engineered FSD with Mass Manager for a total of 63.2 Light Years of Jump Range - to put that in perspective its a range of 240+ Light Years within 4 Jumps - or 120+ Light Years in one jump with Premium FSD Injection, or 240+ Light Years in one jump using the Neutron Star Super Highway - Hence why she is called the "Bubble Bus".

I have recently also built a Krait Phantom "Mad Mats" with a similar Jump Range - a much bigger ship that also has weapons and some VERY nice acceleration too alongside some much need gear for long distance materials gathering.

There are additional Guardian Module Blueprints you can unlock -

Guardian - Power Plant
Guardian - Power Distributer
Guardian - FSD Booster
Guardian - Shield Cell Enforcement Package
Guardian - Hull Enforcement Package
Guardian - Module Enforcement Package

Once you have unlocked them they can be purchased at all applicable class ranges.

if you want to see what these modules can offer you - then have a play with the ship builder here

My experience with the above ( with exception to the FSD Booster ) is that they are the equivalent of a Grade 3/4 Engineered Module but with additional Mass, Power requirements with a little less focused compared to a Grade 4 Engineered equivalent.

All are well worth getting without a doubt.

Now, once you are done with the Guardian Module Blue Prints, there are Guardian Weapon Blue Prints and Guardian SLF ( Ship Launched Fighter ) Blue Prints as well.. theres a lot out there - if you want to know more - click here

Hope that lot helps Commanders - stay safe out there - -o7-

Engadine
Competent
Competent

Postby Engadine » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:30 pm

Zetro,

Many thanks for the information and for taking the time to share it!

It's on my, ever increasing :) , to do list upon my return from the Dumbbell Sector.

o7 - Fly Safe!

Return to “General Discussion”