Explorer Exchange
Avon Sakker
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Avon Sakker
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

First time Exploring - Recce mission

Postby Avon Sakker » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:20 pm

OK, so as a fairly new player I'm reaching a point where I want to specialize a little ..... I've already found that combat won't be my strong point :D

I've read numerous threads and seen many example exploration ship builds which I'm sure are all good, however, I don't have the Cr to purchase some of the items and nor do I have everything fully engineered, so for now, I'll make do with what I have access to.

It seems a bit foolhardy to head off on a long-range exploration mission having never done a non-station planetary landing, never used the SRV, never synthesised (SRV) fuel/ammo etc. For any long-range exploration, I'm going to need to be self-sufficient in using the AMRU for fuel & spares etc.

So I decided on a medium range exploration 'recce' mission.

The ship build will not give me max jump range but will give me a chance to try out all the things I've so far not done.
I decided that initially, I'd head for the Pleiades Sector. Not exactly 'uncharted territory' but a good selection of POI's have been reported and it's also close enough for a single jump back to a station if I find I need to make any major changes to the build or get any repairs done.

I'm keeping a logbook on INARA of the journey, primarily to help me look back and learn from my mistakes
https://inara.cz/cmdr-logbook/180169/

I've only just set off but already it has been worth the trip.
Planetary landings done (although only on low grav planets!), some tweaking to ship and SRV keybindings, SRV harvsting of materials, visits to geologic sites, a Thargoid barnacle and dropped in at Canonn Crater and managed to get a couple of 'confirmed' entries in the CODEX along the way.

I'm flying this Recce on the Mobius group .... so if you happen to bump into an Asp Explorer that looks a little lost .... it's probbly me :lol:

Morgan Bateson
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Morgan Bateson

Re: First time Exploring - Recce mission

Postby Morgan Bateson » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:10 pm

Good luck on your mission and remember having fun is worth far more than having a lot of credits or big ships!

"Captain, do you know what year this is?"
"Of course I do. It's 2278."

– Jean-Luc Picard and Morgan Bateson, 2368 ("Cause and Effect")

Avon Sakker
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Avon Sakker

Postby Avon Sakker » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:47 am

I'm certainly enjoying things so far .......
Just found my first Biologics site (Bark Mounds) and got 50,000Cr for a Codex confirmation. (it's the little things that keep me happy :D )

Why is it always night when I find things!

Already learnt a few things that I'd do differently for future exploration missions and that was one of the main reasons for this trip.

My Explorer rank of 'Pathfinder' was gained by following a guide designed to pocket about 14million Cr.
It is a good guide for getting some Cr and worth doing (got me my AspX) but I now realise that all I really did was jump - scoop - honk and repeat so didn't really do much in the way of actual exploration.

Blackfoxx
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Blackfoxx

Postby Blackfoxx » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:02 pm

Welcome to the wonderfully calming and rewarding career in deep space exploration. I'm three weeks into my second mission and currently mapping a nebular 2/3rds towards Sagitarrius A*, i've been mapping this Nebula now for over a week as much as i can time permitting, but thusfar have a lovely view on my galaxy map showing a massive amount of visited stars, all scanned. You take whatever reward floats your boat, explore whatever draws your attention. I've had to leave some planets unexplored though, as i really just didn't want to wait over an hour in supercruise when time vs reward just finding more stars like it was .. well.. easier.

Return to “Explorer Exchange”