CMDR ChuckDM

Welcome Commander! Introduce yourself in here.
ChuckDM
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: ChuckDM
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

CMDR ChuckDM

Postby ChuckDM » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:33 pm

Howdy, I'm Chuck. I started playing last July, about 10-20 hours a week, and then took part in Distant Worlds 2, my first large group outing and also my first time more than 400ly outside the bubble. I saw Mobius mentioned then, but joined FleetComm for the duration of DW2. Now that it's over and I'm back in (or around, at least) the bubble again, I'm looking for another cooperative multiplayer group to join and it seems Mobius is it.

I do equal parts exploration and RES hunting, but I've had to do the later in Solo most of the time. I do not enjoy PvP. If I had to say why, I guess just because I play video games o relax and I've never been the type to see "more challenge" or "more difficulty" as being "more fun." I play all my singleplayer games with money cheats, for example. (Yes, singleplayer only, obviously.)

So...mainly I'm just looking for some good conversation between jumps and the occasional helping hand in a high RES.

Side note: my application hasn't actually been approved yet since I literally just submitted it but I did read the entire policy document and it all sounds great to me so I'm vaguely assuming I'll get accepted as soon as someone has the time to handle it. Just mentioning that.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Re: CMDR ChuckDM

Postby JohnLuke » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:00 pm

Greetings and welcome to Mobius, Commander ChuckDM.

Our PG admins usually approve join request in 2-3 days. Just hold tight for a bit and we'll get you in. :)

Feel free to add your name to our 'In game friends lists'

In game friends list for PC

Check out our Team Speak and Discord servers, which are great ways to chat, meet, and organize with other players.

Also, make sure to check the Policy page if you haven't already.

On top of all of that, we also have a Facebook group and Twitter feed.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

ChuckDM
Harmless
Harmless

Postby ChuckDM » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:39 am

Awesome, thanks. And no worries. I just already got the email and wanted to be sure someone didn't think my invite had already been approved and forget about me ;)

Might join the Discord later. I have it but I generally don't use it like I used to. I do actively avoid Facebook and Twitter.

Anyway, happy to be here. I'm already in one of the squads so that's fun :)

GreenViper
Master
Master
CMDR: GreenViper

Postby GreenViper » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:31 am

Welcome to Mobius Commander ChuckDM
Hope to meet you in the Black one day !
- Cmdr GreenViper -

Forum moderator
MCRN Squadron Commander & Council member

ChuckDM
Harmless
Harmless

Postby ChuckDM » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:18 am

Thanks.

I meant to put this in my initial post but forgot. Here's a couple quick links to stuff that applies to me, but others might find useful:

My Fleet on Inara: https://inara.cz/cmdr-fleet/145650/
My Imperial Courier Bounty Hunter build: https://s.orbis.zone/3gx3
My Dolphin Explorer Build: https://s.orbis.zone/3gx4

I have previously flown an Anaconda, both Kraits, a Python, a Type-9, all three Alliance medium ships, and every small ship except the Vipers. I have builds for all of the above, and I heavily favor shield tanks, not hull tanks. If anyone wants any of my other builds, ask and I would be more than happy to provide those.

Anyhow, group invite has come through so I hope to see all of you in the black now too. o7

GreenViper
Master
Master

Postby GreenViper » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:29 am

Good on the way as I can see.
I'm running experiments with RailGuns on my combat KraitMkII for the first time and I really love'm ... they kinda fit me better than plasma's... wish I had tried 'm out sooner ;)

Now for the fun of it I also got me a pair of G3 long range Cannons and they're quite nice too... in that way that you can blast the small eagle's and adders out of the way with Force and High Yield shells in the CNB's... kinda fun experience.
- Cmdr GreenViper -

Forum moderator

ChuckDM
Harmless
Harmless

Postby ChuckDM » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:51 am

Yeah, I really like rails. I'm absolutely terrible with every other fixed weapon, even lasers, but I tend to land at least 70% of my shots with rails.

That said, right now I actually put a pair of MCs on the Courier. I'm saving the rails though. I find the pairing of 2x rails and 2x beam lasers (gimballed in my case) on a Krait Phantom is extremely powerful. Many people seem to think the Phantom is nothing but an exploration ship - and it's outstanding for that, no doubt - but the turn rate with dirty drag drives puts many small size ships to shame. It's a very capable combat vessel. Unless you have a very high ranked NPC or turreted weapons (or multicrew) the Phantom can actually beat the MkII in a 1v1. It's certainly more than a match for any NPC I've faced, including Dangerous FDLs and Condas.

Main thing with a combat Phantom is you've just gotta be careful when the AI is packing PAs because at certain angles you're flying a very large pancake, heh. Other than that it's a beast, and rails are a big part of that. Plus with Plasma Slug + 32t fuel, you can fire 300 shots and still have half a tank of fuel left!

GreenViper
Master
Master

Postby GreenViper » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:49 am

Yeah, definitely don't underestimate a Phantom.
And happily my RailGuns are also plasma slug... no problems running out of ammo LOL
Combination with my beams when good engineered is very much OK... not really much problems with heat and power.
- Cmdr GreenViper -

Forum moderator

ChuckDM
Harmless
Harmless

Postby ChuckDM » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:32 am

So...a couple more builds. Note that I've used all of these before, but am not using them now. (Probably throwing the Keelback one back together this week though.)

Generic Bubble Anaconda: https://s.orbis.zone/3lj2
RES Farmer Keelback: https://s.orbis.zone/3lj3
RES Combat Eagle: https://s.orbis.zone/3n3g

The Conda build is a very generic build. It does everything except cargo better than average without being specialized in any single thing - combat, exploration, VIP passenger missions. It is viable outside the bubble for extended periods if you don't mind synthesizing MC ammo due to the large vehicle hangars that make sailing your SRV off a cliff or repeatedly crashing your SLF into a canyon affordable.

The Keelback is purpose-built for farming manufactured materials. Just set the turrets to fire at will, deploy a limpet, and start tagging things. It works best in a low danger, high security RES where the cops can do all the work for you. Better to collect lower-end materials constantly than slightly better ones only once every few minutes. Essentially, this is a more fun alternative to Dav's Hope.

The Eagle build is basically my Courier build in Eagle form. Due to the Enhanced Performance Thrusters it isn't actually much cheaper, but the Eagle is the one and only thing more maneuverable than the Courier, and with the EPTs it can usually outperform a SLF. That said, for sustained DPS, a SLF with the Keelback is leaps and bounds better, plus the Keelback has the limpet so you can focus your full attention on killing.

In case it wasn't obvious, I spend as much time theorycrafting for this game as I do actually playing it. Hopefully someone finds all these useful :)

Return to “Introductions”