schwifty
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: roothahn
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: New Rig: GTX vs RTX

Postby schwifty » Thu May 09, 2019 12:10 pm

> Well, the warthog is a plastic cup gimbal with a heavy grip,,

exactly, right? That's the reason I'm a little disappointed, despite all praising on the internet.

Thanks for the link, I'll try it out. Though it seems like a mechanical thing to me. Anyway it seems I've got a used device delivered (bought on amazon). Perhaps I'll return it and buy it from a regional store which actually needs the money.

I don't like the looks of the CH products, tbh. Pity, as they're actually considered superior.

The Virpil stuff would have been my next choice, but hard to get in germany.

> You can also try just adding a bit of deadzone to the axis

yes, but no :D

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Thu May 09, 2019 1:09 pm

CH is really starting to struggle, in fact their software and drivers are such that if you are on a current OS, they might not work much at all.

The warthog is only praised as highly as it is because for about 5-7 years there it was the only option anyone had that was falling apart in peoples hands because MadKatz was busy ruining the Saitek brand, and they where first to use Hall sensors.

It wasn't until VKB and Virpil came on stage, and that has only been the last couple of years, including a while there that the only product Virpil had was a grip, that was mounted on the Warthog gimbal people either had the option of a saitek 56 that would break, or a warthog.
And yea, deadzones are, not nice.

Virpil is not hard to find anymore really, they even have the WarBRD in stock right now, and payment is the usual options including Paypal.
I have had no issues dealing with them, and as you gather, I have bought almost every product they own, including a t-50 gimbal and grip, CM2 grip, Warbrd gimbal, Delta grip, and the throttle :P

They are also rather quick to get a hold of for support, either through their mails, or discord and reddit etc.
https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-warbrd-base.html

You can slot the Warthog gimbal straight on if you want, a lot of DCS users prefer that grip. But so far I can honestly recommend the CM2 as well as the Delta, the delta as well has the twist stick if you want.

Although I feel using twist sticks for rudder control, the equivalent of trying to control braking in a car, using only the handbrake.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen

Postby LeDoyen » Thu May 09, 2019 2:53 pm

TorTorden wrote:
Although I feel using twist sticks for rudder control, the equivalent of trying to control braking in a car, using only the handbrake.

Yea but... how do you play legs crossed with a pint on the side watching netflix without twist stick? :P

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen

Postby LeDoyen » Thu May 09, 2019 3:10 pm

LeDoyen wrote:
TorTorden wrote:

Yea but... how do you play legs crossed with a pint on the side watching netflix without twist stick? :P

Edit : thinking about it, it's an insteresting subject... Would you use foot pedal type controls in zero G
I feel it would be at best uncomfortable to always be pushed against your seat's harness everytime you need to turn. Twist handle give me that Apollo CSM feel which i find more realistic, even if in the end... i am legs crossed with a pint on the side.
Still interesting thought. what would controls look like.. and a pilot's seat :)

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu May 09, 2019 6:18 pm

LeDoyen wrote:
TorTorden wrote:

I don't hold my beer with my foot.

And. Beer hat.

LeDoyen wrote:
LeDoyen wrote:
TorTorden wrote:

Edit : thinking about it, it's an insteresting subject... Would you use foot pedal type controls in zero G
I feel it would be at best uncomfortable to always be pushed against your seat's harness everytime you need to turn. Twist handle give me that Apollo CSM feel which i find more realistic, even if in the end... i am legs crossed with a pint on the side.
Still interesting thought. what would controls look like.. and a pilot's seat :)

We are not at 0g, we are at 1g.

2. Elite has about as much in common as much in common with the space program as the fleas in Einsteins mattress has with the theory or relativity.

If you want drag that sort of prospects into it you should also account for changes in G forces and most ships in elite pull near lethal G's even when docking.
You won't be pressed against your harness cause in a turn you have 15 really fat samoan sumo wrestles sitting on top of you.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

[OT] Accommodating 0g 6DoF acceleration on the human arm-hand in input (software joystick)

Postby thebs » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:38 pm

LeDoyen wrote:Edit : thinking about it, it's an insteresting subject... Would you use foot pedal type controls in zero G

TorTorden wrote:1. We are not at 0g, we are at 1g.
2. Elite has about as much in common as much in common with the space program as the fleas in Einsteins mattress has with the theory or relativity.
If you want drag that sort of prospects into it you should also account for changes in G forces and most ships in elite pull near lethal G's even when docking.
You won't be pressed against your harness cause in a turn you have 15 really fat samoan sumo wrestles sitting on top of you.

Yep, in all but the heavy T-series, we're looking at death by acceleration, regardless of forward or lateral. I mean, going from 300m/s to 600m/s in a 1-2s boost is literally 15-30g.

As far as 'controls' in 0g, it's not really just 0g, but even 1g terrestrial flight too. I cannot find the old NASA engineering discussions on the 'software joystick' (F-16 like) controls.

The idea here is that the Space Shuttle Orbiter -- designed in the '70s along with the F-16 (which NASA had a bit of input into, long story) -- had not just a number of 'software sticks,' but would try to 'negate' (more like 'accommodate') any sudden 6DoF (X, Y, Z, yaw, roll, pitch) acceleration on the arm-hand. The F-16 also dealt with this too, as part of its 'fly-by-wire' system.

The concept of fly-by-wire (and fly-by-light in the case of fiber optics) isn't just to prevent the human from accidental over-input on their own, but also as they are dealing with the G-forces too.

BTW, the Orbiter also hand 'rotational hand controllers' in addition to sticks, for the same reason we still use not only 'steering wheels' but 'flight yokes' -- or 'mice' instead of 'game thumbsticks' for that matter -- fine-grained control. This is in addition to their 'trim' purpose too, although there's a lot of overlap in functionality.

There are several pages in the on-line manual NASA has made public that cover both RCS and other systems.

CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Return to “Hardware and Technical”