Rylo Ken
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Rylo Ken
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

NEW VR HEADSET

Postby Rylo Ken » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:45 pm

Hey folks,
So... I was gone from the game for almost 2 years. Recently back... broke out the Oculus Rift and fell in love with the immersion all over again.

Hear the HTC Vive Pro makes the game look a LOT better. Thought I'd hit you guys up and see if any of you have the Rift Pro and if the headset is clearer? What are your thoughts?

I'm also considering upgrading my card which is currently a Radeon RX 480. Was thinking of staying Radeon and getting a Rx Vega 64 or maybe flipping to Nvidia for a 1080 or RTX 2070.

I get to do this once and I have to live with the decision for the next couple of years. Help a brother out and give me some feedback on the Vive Pro and a card to go along with it.

Apppreciate any help.

Rylo

PS. Will upgrading my card make a big difference in the resolution/picture quality of the Vive Pro? Are things clear in there?

Rylo Ken
Novice
Novice

Re: NEW VR HEADSET

Postby Rylo Ken » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:17 pm

Another question... before pulling the trigger on the Vive Pro, would a jump from my current card RX 490 to the RTX 2080'ish improve CLARITY in my Rift?

Rylo

Tom Derrick
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Tom Derrick

Postby Tom Derrick » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:22 pm

If you can wait a week, I can probably give you detailed information. :D
I am currently thinking of upgrading from my "normal" Vive to the Vive Pro.
But my store didn´t have it on stock so I will have to order it...

Rylo Ken
Novice
Novice

Postby Rylo Ken » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:40 pm

@Tom Derrick: Please do let me know.. I have some time.

After a little thought, I'm kinda leaning toward grabbing an Odyssey+ as an upgrade to my Rift and upgrading my card to a GTX 2080...
You guys have any opinions on what I could expect from that decision? Would my setting/graphics be better?

Rylo

tinnitus
Master
Master
CMDR: Nar Nar Goon

Postby tinnitus » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:19 am

Rylo Ken wrote:@Tom Derrick: Please do let me know.. I have some time.

After a little thought, I'm kinda leaning toward grabbing an Odyssey+ as an upgrade to my Rift and upgrading my card to a GTX 2080...
You guys have any opinions on what I could expect from that decision? Would my setting/graphics be better?

Rylo

As GTX 1080 ti user I believe the only "con" to the RTX 2080 is the high price for me it is worth it.
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

Rylo Ken
Novice
Novice

Postby Rylo Ken » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:13 am

Yeah I think I'm sold on the card upgrade. Going from rx 480 to the gtx 2080 should bring quite a performance boost.

Still working on deciding between the Odyssey+ and the Vive Pro.

Found out that they have the exact same panel so... It comes down to, I guess, the tracking via inside out or satellites and, of course, price.

Having a real hard time justifying $900 difference.

Thoughts?

Rylo

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

tinnitus
Master
Master
CMDR: Nar Nar Goon

Postby tinnitus » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:34 am

Most people lean towards Odyssey+ easy to use, price, wears well. I use the rift it is not as hardware hungry as others works great cost less looks used today. :(
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

Tom Derrick
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby Tom Derrick » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:37 am

Rylo Ken wrote:Yeah I think I'm sold on the card upgrade. Going from rx 480 to the gtx 2080 should bring quite a performance boost.

Found out that they have the exact same panel so... It comes down to, I guess, the tracking via inside out or satellites and, of course, price.

Thoughts?

Rylo

Well, they have the same panel, but different lenses.
The Odyssey doesn´t suffer from the screen door effect, but as far as I have read, the picture is a bit more blurry. So especially in Elite Dangerous I would prefer a sharper image because of all the text. Also I have read that the Windows Mixed Reality headsets might have some compatibility issues and I think the tracking is not on par with the Vive (which I have to say is perfect).

For me it basically came down to the simple fact that you can´t buy the odyssey in Germany and that you can´t remove the built-in headphones.
Although I have to say the price of the Vive Pro is ridiculous compared to its competitors.
If I didn´t already have the "old" Vive, I would probably not even consider it, but as I don´t have to buy the sensors or controllers, and buying the Odyssey from the US would add shipping, taxes and customs, the price difference is not that much.

OK, I just saw that my hardware dealer now has the Vive Pro on stock. I just placed an order and will pick it up this afternoon.

Rylo Ken
Novice
Novice

Postby Rylo Ken » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:20 am

Tom Derrick wrote:
Rylo Ken wrote:Yeah I think I'm sold on the card upgrade. Going from rx 480 to the gtx 2080 should bring quite a performance boost.

Thoughts?

Rylo

Well, they have the same panel, but different lenses.
The Odyssey doesn´t suffer from the screen door effect, but as far as I have read, the picture is a bit more blurry. So especially in Elite Dangerous I would prefer a sharper image because of all the text. Also I have read that the Windows Mixed Reality headsets might have some compatibility issues and I think the tracking is not on par with the Vive (which I have to say is perfect).

For me it basically came down to the simple fact that you can´t buy the odyssey in Germany and that you can´t remove the built-in headphones.
Although I have to say the price of the Vive Pro is ridiculous compared to its competitors.
If I didn´t already have the "old" Vive, I would probably not even consider it, but as I don´t have to buy the sensors or controllers, and buying the Odyssey from the US would add shipping, taxes and customs, the price difference is not that much.

OK, I just saw that my hardware dealer now has the Vive Pro on stock. I just placed an order and will pick it up this afternoon.
I look forward to hearing from you

Tom Derrick
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby Tom Derrick » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:43 pm

OK, the first impression is good, but not great.

Let´s start with the bad:
The screendoor effect is still very clearly visible. It´s slightly better that on the old Vive, but not by much.
The headphones are crap and I couldn´t fit them on my ears (but maybe I only have a strange head ;D), but I planned to remove them anyway, so not a big problem for me.

The good: It is much more comfortable to wear. Even when I wear my Steelseries headset below the Vive Pro, it´s more comfortable than the Vive. The weight is pretty well balanced on the head, so I assume that you can really wear it for several hours without any problems.
(But you need a bit of space behind your head. The knob on the back stands out a good 5 cm, so I can´t lean back in my chair anymore)

Due to the higher resolultion the text panels in Elite are clearer and better readable but somehow I expected the +80% more pixels to make more of a difference here.
By default, Steam VR with the Vive Pro renders VR apps/games at 2385x2650 per eye ! My 1080 ti can manage a stable framerate in Elite, but not on max. details.

I don´t think I would go back to the old Vive now, but I feel a bit like the Vive Pro is just what the first Vive should have been, and sadly nothing more. I still don´t know why they added a second camera, as the camera function in Steam VR is still disabled. There is a bluetooth option in Steam VR, but it doesn´t work either. Do I have to buy the new base stations for that ? It does not tell me.
The Vive Pro does not add ANY functionality, just a slightly better picture, and that is definitely not worth the price.

But again, this is just my first impression, I didn´t dive deep into any settings, so maybe there are some secrets to improve things...

Return to “General Discussion”