Not related at all to the game or group
Unite
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Unite_81
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Whats your history with Elite

Postby Unite » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:29 am

I'm just wonder whats other peoples history with the Elite series of games as in case you are not aware Dangerous is the 4th game.

Personally I started with Frontier Elite 2 on the Amiga which in my opinion is the best of the first 3 games. I've have to be honest and say I've never really played the first Elite but I was at the time really looking forward to Frontier First Encounters which never really seemed to launch. I think I only ever seen 1 real copy of it in an obscure computer shop. I recall reports of it being very buggy but I would like to give it a go sometime. I'd still play Frontier the odd time which is mostly a trading sim in space but considering its a mini galaxy on a 770kb floppy disc it still amazes me. Plus it has landable atmosphere planets with clouds out of the box haha.

Tom Derrick
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Tom Derrick

Re: Whats your history with Elite

Postby Tom Derrick » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:55 pm

Well for me it started with the first Elite on my C64, but back then I guess I wasn´t ready or just too young, so I only played it briefly.
On the Amiga, however, I played quite a lot and eventually made it to "Elite" status (probably around 1990 or so)
After that, I never played any sequels other than Elite:Dangerous, but I actually don´t remember why I skipped Frontier ...

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:22 pm

A little young for these.

I do remember them but that was in the late 80's early 90's when someone I knew found them on a floppy.

So no manual or anything. And topped off by this being before I even learned any English so I suppose a manual wouldn't have helped that much.
Last edited by TorTorden on Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

raorn
Competent
Competent
CMDR: raorn
CMDR_Platform: PlayStation

Postby raorn » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:34 pm

Played original Elite on classmate's Speccy in late 80-s. Then Elite+ on PC in early 90-s. Didn't liked the sequels.

Andi
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Narumi Omukai

Postby Andi » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:24 pm

i had frontier, but couldn't get into it, so dangerous is my first real elite.

Keeper1st
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Keeper1st

Postby Keeper1st » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:31 pm

Original Elite on the C64 and Amiga, as well as Frontier, but never really got into Frontier. Oolite on the PC (more modding than playing), as well as Pioneer Space Sim (which started out as a remake of Frontier but now is its own thing and is all the better for it). I still suck at manual landing in Pioneer, but enjoy the search & rescue missions where you absolutely have to pilot the ship yourself. I changed the default POV in Pioneer for a more realistic look (now actually can see the Moon from Earth, etc.) though it really limits the ability to see around you as each directional view is pretty tight.

Decided to take a chance on E:D after years of looking at it and thinking, "Oh, if only it had more realistic flight like Pioneer or Evochron..." Oh well, even with the fake flight physics it's still pretty cool.

raorn
Competent
Competent
CMDR: raorn
CMDR_Platform: PlayStation

Postby raorn » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:56 pm

Totally forgot about Space Traders on PalmOS!

IronDuke
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Iron Duke

Postby IronDuke » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:25 am

Distant Worlds Expedition 3302 | 65000 LY From SOL Club

Hrdina
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Hrdina

Postby Hrdina » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:37 am

I started with Elite on my C64 back in 1985 or 1986. I played FE2 and FFE on PC, but don't think I got very far with either of them.

For years I held out hope that there would eventually be an Elite IV, but eventually decided that it would never happen so I stopped paying attention.
Jameson & Son are my copilots

CMDR_COENEN
Competent
Competent
CMDR: COENEN

Postby CMDR_COENEN » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:11 pm

Compared to others here I was late! I entered the world of Elite on 17 September 2014 after watching a video of the Beta (IIRC by Scott Manley). I was intrigued and ordered the Beta right away. Never heard of it before the video, but was sold on the spot.

Didn't play since late 2015 until december 2018. I stopped playing because I became fed up with multiple interdictions even on Solo on each flight. It was after an update and, well, we all know Elite Updates can give issues :D I forgot about the game in those years until right at the end of last year when I accidentally stumbled on a video by ObsidianAnt and I found my interest again. Let's try it again I thought.

Since that date I try to play every day. Got addicted again. I married during the Elite-less-time and my wife asked what the hell I'm doing?! as I never played longer as 30...60 minutes per game and Elite is like "the day starts at 7am and ends at 10pm".

Return to “Off-Topic”