Lopt
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Loptt
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

New player advice wanted

Postby Lopt » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:56 am

Hi,

I just hit 40 hrs played and just now was able to purchase my ASP Explorer can’t yet upgrade it much have to make more money, but I have been doing deliveries and boom time deliveries exclusively.

I was thinking of starting some commodities trading using the EDDB site info but everything seems to be outside the “bubble” should I avoid going outside the bubble being so new? I’d hate to lose my ASP right away, I’m not really ready for combat missions yet I need a LOT more flight time I’ve been lucky I think so far as I have been interdicted about 4-5 times by AI ( I started play in solo ) just recently started playing in Mobius PVE America and I only lost the interdiction once and was able to speed away, I was in my Cobra for all of those.

I want to get into exploring and scanning hopefully there is some money in that too but mostly I really just like exploring but I have no idea what to do yet with that I can’t even use my planetary scanner yet it always says can’t use in this cockpit mode which I have not yet figured out what that means.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, also need some good advice on how to upgrade my ASP Explorer intelligently for explore and trading.

Thank you

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: New player advice wanted

Postby TorTorden » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:36 pm

I'm not sure how you look at EDDB, but all trading is inside the bubble, since the bubble refers to human occupied space around SOL.

If you go outside the bubble there is no human activity, just space, hardly any stations etc.

If you want to do straight trading one of the types are the king, For example something like this https://s.orbis.zone/1klx
This is going to feel like a barge compared to cobra or asp, since it is.
And that with 300t cargo repeating this: https://eddb.io/trade/loop/126477656 should do about 1.8 mil per loop.

Another option, more suited for the ASP, and your eventual goals would be the road to riches, these are a collected loop of systems with many valuable planet bodies to scan and still remain close to the bubble.
http://edtools.ddns.net/expl.php
Should net you a fair few million in a few sessions, at least enough to upgrade most parts on the Asp, and afford ample oppertunity to learn the brand new scanning system.

As for combat, no need to wait.
If you want to partake, an eagle or even better, a viper mk3 would be my first timer recommendation. You could build a fully upgraded eagle for less than 2 million, a viper for about 2.6.

Also as a new starter you might not know about the Li Yong Rui stations, well the only thing to know about those is they give 15% discounts on all ships and modules sold at those stations.

If you for instance setup a ship build in coriolis, and click the '$' icon at the top right of the page this will open EDDB with a filter applied for the ship and all modules this will then list stations that sell all these modules and ship, so you can buy everything at one place.
On this page you can also add "Li Yong Rui" as a power filter, and the stations listed will also have a 15% discount.
This also has the benefit of reducing potential rebuy as well btw.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Unite
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Unite_81

Postby Unite » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:39 pm

How many credits do you have to spare? A spot of mining might be a good idea as it will sharpen your control of the ship, navigating the rocks, and will earn you some decent credits, well if you manage to get the right materials that is.

In regards to your question on the scanner and if you are using the default keyboard layout simply press M to enter analysis mode which lets you scan. As a rule of thumb I always scan each system when I arrive. It only takes a few seconds to "honk" (you'll understand once you've scanned) and its a few free credits.

If you want to go exploring and if your short on money I'd recommend selling the ASP and grabbing a hauler. The wee taxi can be setup as a decent explorer and can get a jump range into the mid 20ly range fairly cheaply. Sell all weapons and your shields (or if you want keep as low a type D shield as you can fit) then change all other modules to type D but fit a type A frame shift drive. If you can get away with it downgrade the power plant to also save some weight. You can then just plot a course for the stars and off you go. Maybe start with something simply like a 500ly voyage. You'll not find anything new to your name but you'll come back with a few million credits of exploration data. Before you head away from stations though I'd recommend trying out the fuel scooping which is done at a star. Essentially after you jump aim for the edge of the star until you start to scoop (its automatic), then circle the star keeping just the edge of it visible on the screen. You can monitor the scoop rate and temperature on the display put up on screen. Keep the temperature below 70-75 maximum. Keep circling until you hear fuel scooping complete then turn away from the star, hit your scanner, have a quick look on the system map for anything interesting (if there is a water world, earth like world or stellar phenomena etc go scan it) then head onto the next star and repeat.

Sounds simple doesn't it.......

I do admit though while doing a recent exploring run a system scan for some reason sometimes didn't list the discovered bodies in the navigation tab or system map. Would anyone else know why this is would happen? A bug or a new game feature I'm missing?

Lopt
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Lopt » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:07 pm

Unite wrote:How many credits do you have to spare? A spot of mining might be a good idea as it will sharpen your control of the ship, navigating the rocks, and will earn you some decent credits, well if you manage to get the right materials that is.

In regards to your question on the scanner and if you are using the default keyboard layout simply press M to enter analysis mode which lets you scan. As a rule of thumb I always scan each system when I arrive. It only takes a few seconds to "honk" (you'll understand once you've scanned) and its a few free credits.

If you want to go exploring and if your short on money I'd recommend selling the ASP and grabbing a hauler. The wee taxi can be setup as a decent explorer and can get a jump range into the mid 20ly range fairly cheaply. Sell all weapons and your shields (or if you want keep as low a type D shield as you can fit) then change all other modules to type D but fit a type A frame shift drive. If you can get away with it downgrade the power plant to also save some weight. You can then just plot a course for the stars and off you go. Maybe start with something simply like a 500ly voyage. You'll not find anything new to your name but you'll come back with a few million credits of exploration data. Before you head away from stations though I'd recommend trying out the fuel scooping which is done at a star. Essentially after you jump aim for the edge of the star until you start to scoop (its automatic), then circle the star keeping just the edge of it visible on the screen. You can monitor the scoop rate and temperature on the display put up on screen. Keep the temperature below 70-75 maximum. Keep circling until you hear fuel scooping complete then turn away from the star, hit your scanner, have a quick look on the system map for anything interesting (if there is a water world, earth like world or stellar phenomena etc go scan it) then head onto the next star and repeat.

Sounds simple doesn't it.......

I do admit though while doing a recent exploring run a system scan for some reason sometimes didn't list the discovered bodies in the navigation tab or system map. Would anyone else know why this is would happen? A bug or a new game feature I'm missing?

Awesome information thank you, I still have a lot to learn I whole bubble notion is one of them.

Lopt
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Lopt » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:33 pm

TorTorden wrote:I'm not sure how you look at EDDB, but all trading is inside the bubble, since the bubble refers to human occupied space around SOL.

If you go outside the bubble there is no human activity, just space, hardly any stations etc.

If you want to do straight trading one of the types are the king, For example something like this https://s.orbis.zone/1klx
This is going to feel like a barge compared to cobra or asp, since it is.
And that with 300t cargo repeating this: https://eddb.io/trade/loop/126477656 should do about 1.8 mil per loop.

Another option, more suited for the ASP, and your eventual goals would be the road to riches, these are a collected loop of systems with many valuable planet bodies to scan and still remain close to the bubble.
http://edtools.ddns.net/expl.php
Should net you a fair few million in a few sessions, at least enough to upgrade most parts on the Asp, and afford ample oppertunity to learn the brand new scanning system.

As for combat, no need to wait.
If you want to partake, an eagle or even better, a viper mk3 would be my first timer recommendation. You could build a fully upgraded eagle for less than 2 million, a viper for about 2.6.

Also as a new starter you might not know about the Li Yong Rui stations, well the only thing to know about those is they give 15% discounts on all ships and modules sold at those stations.

If you for instance setup a ship build in coriolis, and click the '$' icon at the top right of the page this will open EDDB with a filter applied for the ship and all modules this will then list stations that sell all these modules and ship, so you can buy everything at one place.
On this page you can also add "Li Yong Rui" as a power filter, and the stations listed will also have a 15% discount.
This also has the benefit of reducing potential rebuy as well btw.

Thank you good info,

I’m probably over thinking all of this but the game “ seems” like it will be a lot of fun for a good long time.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:59 pm

I have certainly wasted a few hours....

► Show Spoiler

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:16 pm

Unite wrote:I do admit though while doing a recent exploring run a system scan for some reason sometimes didn't list the discovered bodies in the navigation tab or system map. Would anyone else know why this is would happen? A bug or a new game feature I'm missing?

Many of the irksome and undocumented features that were added in the last update need refining enhancing improvement fixing squashing.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:17 pm

Walter wrote:
Unite wrote:I do admit though while doing a recent exploring run a system scan for some reason sometimes didn't list the discovered bodies in the navigation tab or system map. Would anyone else know why this is would happen? A bug or a new game feature I'm missing?

Many of the irksome and undocumented features that were added in the last update need refining enhancing improvement fixing squashing.

Sounds like you have those particular bodies filtered in the nav panel.
Flick over to the "X" to remove all filters.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Unite
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Unite_81

Postby Unite » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:23 am

TorTorden wrote:
Walter wrote:

Sounds like you have those particular bodies filtered in the nav panel.
Flick over to the "X" to remove all filters.

Thought that myself but no. The planets for example appear on screen as selectable dots of light in the distance and if I approached them to the point that they are scanned they will then appear in the navigation panel BUT they did not appear on their own as you would expect after a discovery scan.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:23 pm

Unite wrote: The planets ... appear on screen as selectable dots of light in the distance and if I approached them to the point that they are scanned they will then appear in the navigation panel BUT they did not appear on their own as you would expect after a discovery scan.

I was out on the fringes of the galaxy when 3.0 dropped and have yet to cash in on the new systems I've discovered. The only problem I've come across is for the display to show a second target to be mapped as mapped already, and that can be remedied by logging out to the menu and back in again.

From your description I'm not sure I understand the probem - you only need to fly towards a planet if you intend to map it after you've done the tuning thing in FSS scanner mode (my guitar tuner does a better job of identifying frequencies - I'm thinking of re-purposing it for ED).

Return to “General Discussion”