Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
The Murphy
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Shinkick Murphy
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: What are you doing (ingame) now?

Postby The Murphy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:27 pm

GreenViper wrote:Gathering the FSD Booster blueprint two weeks ago... then returned back to Colonia to run missions in BGS support of the Mobius Colonial Republic NAvy.
Besides that, my main interest is exploring the deep black...

That's a beautiful screenshot, GreenViper, awesome vista! No wonder I never see you around, if you went off to Colonia ;)
I think I'll start the Guardian grind action soon myself... I have been putting it off, but I have to get my information on the requirements straight first. But those FSD Boosters sure seem like a sweet addition to my Exploraconda and my ASP, which I turned into a tourist taxi.
I'm also thinking about starting outfitting a combat ship for anti Thargoid ops... but the grind, oh the grind!

Cheers o7

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come play Elite." - Morty (if he'd play E:D, hehe)

-- Playing on PC in Mobius Eurasia PVE, come find me! --

GreenViper
Master
Master
CMDR: GreenViper

Postby GreenViper » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:50 pm

The Murphy wrote:
GreenViper wrote:Gathering the FSD Booster blueprint two weeks ago... then returned back to Colonia to run missions in BGS support of the Mobius Colonial Republic NAvy.

That's a beautiful screenshot, GreenViper, awesome vista! No wonder I never see you around, if you went off to Colonia ;)
I think I'll start the Guardian grind action soon myself... I have been putting it off, but I have to get my information on the requirements straight first. But those FSD Boosters sure seem like a sweet addition to my Exploraconda and my ASP, which I turned into a tourist taxi.
I'm also thinking about starting outfitting a combat ship for anti Thargoid ops... but the grind, oh the grind!

Cheers o7

Thanks The Murphy!
Yeah, I did a lot of missions for Mobius around Azrael / Exioce, but after I got back from my Beagle Point visit in january I sort off got caught up in Colonia which is in itself starting to grow nicely in availability for modules and now the first engineers... still basic but ok, we’re getting there...
And so I joined the MCRN and must admit we’ve got us a nice homebase with a great bunch of CMDR’s out there...
Exploration being my main interest, I went for the FSDBooster only.... and it was fun while doing it.... a class 5H booster takes the jumprange from my ExploConda from 66 to 76 ly’s... but also got one for my ExploKrait and gives it a range around 60ly’s
Feel free to ADD me as a friend in game, from time to time i get back to the bubble for a short while so a meet-up is surely possible ;) might have us some lavian brandy and kumitra cigars :)

o7
- Cmdr GreenViper -

Forum moderator
MCRN Squadron Commander & Council member

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:34 pm

The Murphy wrote:

Cheers o7

You can start from scratch and get the needed stuff for a booster in about two-three hours.
Including travel time back and forth between the bubble and guardian space.

Might depend a little on how comfortable you are with SRV combat from the turret.
So bring two or more.

Another option is to bring something with a fighter bay.
Land close and when the guardian sentries spawn head back to ship and launch out in an slf.
The fixed beam variant would be my recommendation since you need to aim manual anyway.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Tifu
Master
Master
CMDR: Tifu

Postby Tifu » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:50 pm

TorTorden wrote:
The Murphy wrote:

I think I'll start the Guardian grind action soon myself... I have been putting it off, but I have to get my information on the requirements straight first. But those FSD Boosters sure seem like a sweet addition to posting.php?mode=quote&f=5&p=102329my Exploraconda and my ASP, which I turned into a tourist taxi.

Cheers o7

You can start from scratch and get the needed stuff for a booster in about two-three hours.

Might depend a little on how comfortable you are with SRV combat from the turret.
So bring two or more.

Land close and when the guardian sentries spawn head back to ship and launch out in an slf.
The fixed beam variant would be my recommendation since you need to aim manual anyway.

Just wondering if I can leave the SLF piloting to my NPC fighter pilot. Also, have turrets on my Keelback - will setting them to fire at will help?

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:34 pm

No, ships can't target skimmers or the guardians normally.
So turrets and gimbals wouldn't probably do anything.
Not sure about turrets and fire at will, since I can't ever consider putting turrets on.
Besides if the turret did retaliate, they cause so little damage and are so inaccurate I doubt it would do much.
And you can't even extend gears with an SLF out, so no way to land and launch an srv.

You need to get in and do it your self.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Tifu
Master
Master
CMDR: Tifu

Postby Tifu » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:04 pm

TorTorden wrote:No, ships can't target skimmers or the guardians normally.
So turrets and gimbals wouldn't probably do anything.
Not sure about turrets and fire at will, since I can't ever consider putting turrets on.
Besides if the turret did retaliate, they cause so little damage and are so inaccurate I doubt it would do much.
And you can't even extend gears with an SLF out, so no way to land and launch an srv.

You need to get in and do it your self.

Thanks - i better experiment with taking on some hostile installations with my Keelback and see how my turrets do. I better start driving my SLF and get some ground strafing practice.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:21 pm

It's not like they are hard to do with just the SRV, in fact once you realise you can target and shoot down the big missiles it's almost comical.

It was just much faster to Bzaaap from an SLF :P
And I like any excuse to fly one personally.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

GreenViper
Master
Master
CMDR: GreenViper

Postby GreenViper » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:09 pm

Tifu wrote:
TorTorden wrote:
The Murphy wrote:

I think I'll start the Guardian grind action soon myself... I have been putting it off, but I have to get my information on the requirements straight first. But those FSD Boosters sure seem like a sweet addition to posting.php?mode=quote&f=5&p=102329my Exploraconda and my ASP, which I turned into a tourist taxi.

Cheers o7

So bring two or more.

Just wondering if I can leave the SLF piloting to my NPC fighter pilot. Also, have turrets on my Keelback - will setting them to fire at will help?

I destroyed the sentries with my SRV weapons, but parked my ship nearby having put two Point Defences on top utility slots.
That way the ship took out all of the missiles that the sentries fired at me, not one touched my srv :D
- Cmdr GreenViper -

Forum moderator
MCRN Squadron Commander & Council member

The Murphy
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby The Murphy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:18 pm

GreenViper wrote:
The Murphy wrote:

Cheers o7

Thanks The Murphy!
Yeah, I did a lot of missions for Mobius around Azrael / Exioce, but after I got back from my Beagle Point visit in january I sort off got caught up in Colonia which is in itself starting to grow nicely in availability for modules and now the first engineers... still basic but ok, we’re getting there...
And so I joined the MCRN and must admit we’ve got us a nice homebase with a great bunch of CMDR’s out there...
Exploration being my main interest, I went for the FSDBooster only.... and it was fun while doing it.... a class 5H booster takes the jumprange from my ExploConda from 66 to 76 ly’s... but also got one for my ExploKrait and gives it a range around 60ly’s
Feel free to ADD me as a friend in game, from time to time i get back to the bubble for a short while so a meet-up is surely possible ;) might have us some lavian brandy and kumitra cigars :)

o7

I actually added you to my friend list very soon after joining Mobius a few months ago :P
Ingame I'm Cmdr Shinkick Murphy. Still looking very much forward to that brandy you mentioned, hehe.

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come play Elite." - Morty (if he'd play E:D, hehe)

The Murphy
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby The Murphy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:28 pm

TorTorden wrote:
The Murphy wrote:

Cheers o7

So bring two or more.

Thank you, TorTorden, that is very good advice!
I was about to add the information about the point defenses on the ship, but GreenViper beat me to it ;)
I'm actually experienced in dealing with human ground installations, I've done a lot of planet reconnaissance and sabotage missions.
I love those because I have an excuse to use my small ships for that, I think they come in very handy for quickly swooping in and quickly
escaping again, after setting off every alarm and sentinel there is. Atm I prefer my I.Courier for this, beautiful little rascal, that one.
The info on being able to take them on with an SLF was new to me though, I might just try that, I usually have my co-pilot handle these so that would also be a nice excuse to use them myself again.

I have a follow up question: do the Guardian sentinels re-spawn after a while?
Because it would be quite impractical to kill them with the SLF, land back on the ship, land the ship, deploy SRV, go to the structure only to have them respawn a minute after....
But I'm just curious, I'm confident I could get it done with the SRV as well, but it would be nice to try something else just for kicks.

Thanks, Commanders o7

Return to “General Discussion”