Finding my Landing Pad

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Finding my Landing Pad

Postby Loriath » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:11 pm

Just for outposts, you can look on EDDB.io under stations and if you select an outpost, the details will provide you with a picture showing the landing pads based on the type of station.

For Example, Hutton Orbital is a industrial mining station. All Mining Stations should have the same Landing pad setup. In this case, here is the image for Hutton Orbital:

You can search EDDB by station type to see all the stations and their landing pads.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Pam Demonium
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Pam Demonium
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Pam Demonium » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:54 pm

I just dont have the outpost clicked on, and you can see the yellow flashing lights from just about any angle.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:07 pm

Pam Demonium wrote:I just dont have the outpost clicked on, and you can see the yellow flashing lights from just about any angle.

And if you don't.
You know it's directly on the other side.

That and the usuall Nav compass will direct you towards the pad.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Renown
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Renown

Postby Renown » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:25 pm

Since April EDDI has been released in full. If you use it (you don't need voice attack for it to work) as you are given Landing permission the EDDI voice will tell you where the pad is.

See here after the docking request - https://youtu.be/iVRdMj-WkpE

Hrdina
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Hrdina

Postby Hrdina » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:27 am

Renown wrote:Since April EDDI has been released in full. If you use it (you don't need voice attack for it to work) as you are given Landing permission the EDDI voice will tell you where the pad is.

See here after the docking request - https://youtu.be/iVRdMj-WkpE

Nifty.

Looking at EDDI has been on my to-do list for a while now.
Jameson & Son are my copilots

Black Rose

Postby Black Rose » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:35 am

Docking:

1. Space stations always face the planet or moon they are orbiting.

2. Look at the holo representation of the station when you are approaching from way out. Rotate and tip your ship while aimed for it to see where the slot is. Tilting up pulls it down and so forth.

4. Adjust your line up based on the location of the mail slot in holo on your final approach. This should allow you be in a better position when you drop from cruise.

5. Once out of cruise, target the station, then look at the gunsight to the left of your scanner. If you are too low, dip your nose down until the solid dot is sitting right at the top of the 12 o'clock position on the gun sight. Stay at 75% speed. ( you can set that in options > controls ) I use the up arrow for 100%, left arrow for 75%, down arrow for 50% and right arrow for 25% thrust. Allot easier to keep your eyes on the screen and press one button than fiddle with your thruster keys.

6. Slowly nose up lining up the solid dot in the center of the gunsight. Once you hear the telltale ping of the mass lock from the station, press the 50% thrust button. It’s much easier to line up to the rotating slot at a slow speed. Ask for landing clearance now!

7. Tap your 'S' key to get your speed down to 99. Oddly they say the speed limit is 100 but it still shows you are speeding. There are no fines for speeding but slow and easy while you are learning is best.

8. Your gunsight is your friend, not the one on your guns lol The one to the left of the scanner! That solid dot is your pad. Sure know your number but you really don't need it. Watch your gunsight. Where is the dot? Left, right, up or down? Rotate to position that dot at the 6'oclock line of the gunsight.

9. If the dot is 'hollow', Your landing pad is behind you. Press X to stop, then tap the Z key to nudge backwards until the dot is solid. The “Q” key nudges you forward. As far as I know, the Z and Q are the default key binds. When pressed you move, when released you stop. Works in combat as well 

10. Slowly go forward until the dot just touches the beginning of the ring of the gunsight. Press X to stop and then whatever key you used to bind your landing gear. I think the default is the 'L' key. I use the 'insert" key because it’s easier for me.

11. Carefully tap the 'F' key to begin your descent. Once the holo of the landing pad appears you can use the direction keys ( A and D) to line up and then make your landing.

With 1600+ hours in Elite if I said I've made thousands of landings it would be true lol

Using the above procedure I line with the slot about 90% of the time and after getting landing clearance I am on the pad and getting some hot chocolate in the station lounge in under a minute.

Good luck Commander and maybe I'll see you in the black :)

Kosh
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: kosh starglider

Postby Kosh » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:48 am

I must say a very nice post. However, because I am new in this game 3 weeks, I think, I have problem to read the diagram and find my landing pad, the position of the landing pads doesn't seem to be same as in the image.

Could anyone please help me?
For the moment I am in an ocellus type station.
Has this station type different position of his landing pads?

Thank you.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:31 am

Again:
On the very right of this picture there is an orange ball with a tiny white ball in it.

This is referred to as your nav ball.
The center of the nav bal is your facing direction of the ship, the white ball is your navigation target if your target is behind you the center of the smaller becomes dark, or hollow.

In cruise this points to the station, outpost, planet, moon etc directly.

When near a station, after requesting docking, this nav ball points directly at the mailslot, as you pass through the mail slot the nav ball will indicate the very center of your assigned landing plattform.

This is actually so precise you can use this to line up on your pad, just fly towards your pad, maintain level and as you pass over the center of the pad this nav ball slips below you, just as it switches between solid and hollow you are dead center perfect for a touchdown.
As you come close you can use the landing hologram that replaces the sensor readout for fine tuning.

Again, no extra tools really needed, just look at the nav ball.

For outposts and surfaces it works the same, just skipping the mailslot step, once you get clearance to land the nav ball points directly to your designated pad.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Kosh
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: kosh starglider

Postby Kosh » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:49 pm

Thank you, I have problem mainly because some times it gives me landing pads near the entry and I fly past them and to be honest I get a bit panicked because the game can be strict some times.

But will follow your advice and make some practice.

W17DCARD
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: W17DCARD
CMDR_Platform: XBOX

Postby W17DCARD » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:09 pm

Hi Kosh,

Those immediate docking stations were a major problem for me when I first got started. The first big clue that the pad is an immediate one is when the white dot goes to the edge of the circle (up,down, left or right). That lets you know you are coming up on it.

I slow myself down to about 80 through the mail slot and drop my speed to 50-60 as I angle towards the pad when that dot start moving to the edge of the circle.

Your landing gear roughly halves the speed so you can use that if you really need to slow down fast.

Hope this helps and safe flying.

W17DCARD

Return to “Tips and Tricks”