Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: 2nd account via Humble Bundle, how?

Postby JohnLuke » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:53 pm

JustSomeGuy wrote:I finally got the key to another Steam account and got the keys Frontier needed (without installing the game for the 2nd time).
As you can see, be careful with the Steam key. Seems that their policy has changed a bit since 2016..

Now I need a name for the new CMDR :)

Whoot whoot!

Glad you got it worked out! 8-)
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro

Postby JustSomeGuy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:19 pm

JohnLuke wrote:Whoot whoot!

Glad you got it worked out! 8-)

Me too :)

Just checked, no extra paints on my main account. I never redeemed the paint pack CD key from Steam to Frontier so that might be the reason.
Now that I think of it, I could have just redeemed ED and Horizons to the new account and redeem the paint pack CD key to my main account. Too late now, but it's not the end of the world. The Viper pack would have been the most interesting one for me as I have no paints for it, but it's not that expensive if I want it later.

By the way, "Elite Dangerous: CMDR Deluxe Edition" is on sale on HB and in FD store again, 60% off. And now you know how to redeem the key correctly :D
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:16 pm

I vote for Cmdr. Ooooops :P
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Sevin Church
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Sevin Church
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Sevin Church » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:09 am

Don't know if it's been said tldr lol. But I installed a second copy, independent of Steam, that I downloaded from FD directly. I created my 2nd's login through a dummy Gmail account, and I placed a shortcut to the 2nd's launcher on my taskbar. Steam recognized the 1st account's login, shortcut for the 2nd's login.

Now the only thing I have to do, if I want to and do sometimes run both, is close the launcher of whichever account I started first before going for the 2nd. Which is fine regardless, once you click that button and the game launches you don't need the launcher anymore.

But the beauty of this method is that my keybinds for everything are copied over since they're stored in the same folder through My Documents. So I can easily Alt/Tab to either window. I usually have one running on one monitor from the other though.

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master

Postby JustSomeGuy » Wed May 16, 2018 11:47 pm

Deal wrote:
Cometborne wrote:
Deal wrote:
What sorcery is this?

I tried running the launcher anew and when I clicked to start the game (different directory, account), it just focused the existing game.

No idea why it just works here. I am not using Steam for E:D at all, just the FD launcher, and neither of the two installs is in the default location of c:\program files.... One is in D:\EDLaunch, the other in D:\AltElite

Just works, only problem is that the journals land in the same appdata directory. Captain's Log will happily mix them together, and EDDI goes absolutely nuts when both accounts are in-game at the same time.

Small price to pay

PEBCAK error on my part. Must have launched from the same folder by mistake when testing with the same windows account.

I'm going to stick with running as a different windows user because I have different settings and logs.

What I've done is delete my steam installation folder, since I'm not going to launch from steam, then copied everything except Win64 from my main folder (EDLaunch) into a new folder (Named ED-Likewise since that's my second CMDR name), then created a directory link at Products\elite-dangerous-64\Win64 that points to the Win64 directory in my main installation (Win64 holds the lions share of the installation data).
It might be less annoying to copy everything and then simply delete Win64 in the new folder tbh.

Running cmd.exe as admin, I ran something like "mklink /D Win64 ..\..\..\EDLaunch\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Win64" from within the elite-dangerous-64 parent dir inside the second installation folder to make the link.
(which assumes both installation folders are in the same parent directory)

This means I can run 2 game accounts simultaneously with entirely separate settings and logs, but my second installation folder is only 500MB in size because the data dir is a link to the original folder. Apart from gfx stuff, I can also disable music and or audio on the secondary game account so they don't clash.

Technically, you could probably make links to much of the stuff in the second folder too, but it's already a bit of a faff and I can live with a 500MB disk space penalty for running two clients.

I also created a shortcut for my second account which adds runas /user:Agent /savecred before the EDlaunch path in the new folder.
This pops a command prompt when I run it which asks for the windows user password (Agent is the username). By doing it this way, I don't need to shift right click and fill out the full username and password. I just put in the windows account password (once, since /savecred saves it for next time) and then EDlaunch is ready to play as it remembered my game login and password from last time. One click access to both launchers from shortcuts now.

There's also this: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... t-Switcher
But I'm not sure that works with different windows users.

If bookmarks are in someway isolated, I might link that file between users so I can share my bookmarks.

Part of the reason I wanted to have separate appdata folders is because my GPU only has 6 gigs of VRAM. Since E:D seems to use around 4 gigs of that for my main account, I wanted to drop the settings on the other account to run both at once more comfortably. I also run one in a smaller window and the other fullscreen borderless when playing both at once. (I'm not entirely sure that playing two accounts at once will prove to be very useful for me, but it's there).

I guess you can use this method to add a new windows user accounts for every separate config loadout you want to use.
In my case I'd probably only add one more for playing my second account as the main client, granting it fullscreen and max gfx settings.

I'll investigate creating a batch file to run ED-market-connecter then E:D from the shortcut, then maybe kill it when I close elite.
Should be able to have separate accounts for the API stuff too. (probably not worth the trouble to go that far though).

Having a separate windows user for the 2nd account is the way to go for me. And a great idea in my opinion, thanks Deal. :)

But since the game settings are separate for the other user, what is the point of copying the game files to another location for the second account?

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Thu May 17, 2018 9:18 am

It doesn't affect you.

But the game journal file, not the settings files, are just dumped into the same folder under your documents, making it a little hinky to use some third party software, or just updating the right files to inara etc if you do that manually.

Personally I just use the market connector, it uploads files as I go, and it looks into the files and sends the correct commander ones.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master

Postby JustSomeGuy » Thu May 17, 2018 4:01 pm

TorTorden wrote:It doesn't affect you.

But the game journal file, not the settings files, are just dumped into the same folder under your documents, making it a little hinky to use some third party software, or just updating the right files to inara etc if you do that manually.

Personally I just use the market connector, it uploads files as I go, and it looks into the files and sends the correct commander ones.

I tested that. I logged into Windows as my regular user, started ED as the other Windows user I created for the second ED account. Journal file went to the other users saved games\frontier developments\elite dangerous -folder. Settings are also separate, I had the second account windowed at 1920x1080 and when I started ED as my regular user, I had borderless 2560x1440.

This is why I wonder why would there be a need for a second install directory. Only thing that I can think of is to divide the disk usage to two disks, assuming the other install is on different physical drive. But I don't think there are too many places in game where the game has to wait for hard drive to deliver.

Edit: And now I know. If I want to run just one client at a time, I won't need a second install dir. If I want to run two at the same time, I need two install dirs.

Return to “General Discussion”