Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Virpil......Not Competitive....

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:14 pm

Walter......

At your age should you be handling these hot dangerous tools.......

I'm just saying because I'm a great beleiver in looking after the elderley......

:lol:

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:49 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:Walter......

At your age should you be handling these hot dangerous tools.......

I'm just saying because I'm a great beleiver in looking after the elderley......

Yeah.

That is because you are about to need that real soon.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:55 pm

I need that now.......

That's why I like the warm fuzzy feeling I get in the A-Team......

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

*Al*
Master
Master
CMDR: *Al*

Postby *Al* » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:35 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:I need that now.......

That's why I like the warm fuzzy feeling I get in the A-Team......

That's a different thing Kharma, and in your case smells of beer.....ish

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen

Postby LeDoyen » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:50 pm

My concern with the Warthog is that it's simply a copy of an airplane controls which isn't really relevant for a space sim.
Not that it doesn't work.. it does and pretty well, but i find it uninspired.
Try pushing a rudder pedal in zero G, the ship wouldnt move, you'd float up unless you're screwed down into your seat with more than a simple belt :p

As for precision, i thought the Warthog had 16bit transducers? it's supposed to be way more precise than the X52.
When i switched to X56, i saw the difference immediately. It was way smoother during landings, and touchy manoeuvers.

For the stick that doesn't respond well, well.. grease that up :p
In good space sim fashion, i greased mine with fluorinert vacuum grease.. no screatchy plastics, smooth as eggs.

I wish there was a controller that would be a scaled down X56 stick (that thing is made for giants and i am over 6'tall with big hands) and a Warthog slide style throttle, all metal.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:23 am

LeDoyen wrote:Try pushing a rudder pedal in zero G, the ship wouldnt move, you'd float up unless you're screwed down into your seat with more than a simple belt :p

Joysticks have always been fly-by-wire in space, at least NASA ones. But yes, I believe on the STS Orbiter, the rudder pedals were only for aerodynamic purposes. But don't quote me.

LeDoyen wrote:As for precision, i thought the Warthog had 16bit transducers? it's supposed to be way more precise than the X52.
When i switched to X56, i saw the difference immediately. It was way smoother during landings, and touchy manoeuvers.

The X56 was a bit of a step-up from the X55 as well.

LeDoyen wrote:I wish there was a controller that would be a scaled down X56 stick (that thing is made for giants and i am over 6'tall with big hands) and a Warthog slide style throttle, all metal.

The X-56 includes a plastic insert to make the hand rest much higher. I have no problem with it once adding that.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert

Postby LeDoyen » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:36 am

Even with the plastic insert it's a big stick, but it's still fairly useable. The real issue is the throttle. you can't grasp it and use the thumb buttons, they are way far back, making you use it with fingertips to be able to reach

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:33 am

The x55\56 are based, albeit slightly less strictly than the warthog to the F-16 stick, think they added a few buttons as well as the twist.

If it feels to big, well that's 90% of the time because of ergonomics and you have it mounted wrong, I'm not a big guy, well 183cm and my hands are perfectly average, and the ch-fighterstick is if anything as large or larger than the saiteks and it is perfect, when I mount the base at knee height, when I'm using it, my arm hangs naturally from my shoulder with the elbow bent at a comfortable 90 degrees.
Don't necessarily use knee height for a measurement, test this yourself for yourself.

I got my height by sitting down, holding my arm out comfortably, then I took my measuring tape in my hand and measured the distance to the floor.
That was the height I built my mount to place the palm rest, it just so happens to be at knee level for the base.
I did the same for the throttle, they actually might need different mounting heights.

When I first started and just plopped it on the desk, I was having real trouble reaching even my secondary fire button, and I was getting severe shoulder pain, that lasted for days after playing, it was stressing my muscles under the clavicle, I'm not the only one.

*Al* in the A-team was going through almost half a dozen ice packs a play session with his warthog for his shoulder, and per my insistence and recommendation he got a HOTAS mount and went from needing 5+ ice packs per gaming session to none.

I don't consider anything in terms of what replicates what.
I'm concerned with what control input serves my needs the most, I don't care whether pedals in terms of a spaceship makes sense mechanically or not, it is simply an input method I can exert with a significant level of precision in tandem with the other axis of roll and pitch.
With a twist axis for yaw you have a lot less play, and the human anatomy just can't go through roll or pitch and not twist as well, or vice versa.

But back on topic, Virpil isn't trying to be competitive, they are trying to be an exclusive product and manufacturer.
You wouldn't consider a lambo as competitive to the Prius, and now even though Toyota has their premium Lexus brand, like Thrustmaster has the Warthog, it's still a Toyota.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert

Postby LeDoyen » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:40 am

For mounting, i did like you did. Set it to a comfortable height and built mounts to bolt them on my seat' armrests. No strain at all, it's just big.
But yea, it's simply unuseable on table top otherwise.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”