Community Support for the game and it's features
CasualGard
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: CasualGard
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

How do I know what to ask for?

Postby CasualGard » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:18 pm

I've been flying around in space for 200+ hours for the last few months since I installed the game. I think I got the hang of the basics at least – doing missions, CGs and the regular stuff.
What I think I do not have the skill to do is build and “configure” my ship. I got a bad ‘conda and a fun Chieftan – a couple of hundred mill in upgrades and so on. But I don’t really think either of them is actually good. The problem is that I really don’t know what to ask for! I pick up a few fragments of information here and there that I can translate in to my game, but that’s it. How do I know what I need help to figure out? Don’t get me started on engineering…
The same applies to in-game activities I guess. If it’s not in my face, I miss out… I think... Am I missing out on something?

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: How do I know what to ask for?

Postby TorTorden » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:48 pm

In general.
A rate all the things apart from Sensors and Life support.

Those you can leave D class.

Guns: My suggestion is to play around.
Test all the things, find a load out that works for you.

But a staple setup these days is efficient beams, with rapid fire or overcharge multicannons.

As for engineering.
There are no ifs, no butt's, and no coconuts about it.
For a stellar setup/build you need it.

Doesn't mean you can't do most things without it but better is simply better.

Don't rush and just focus on the fun and short term goals.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen

Postby LeDoyen » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:50 pm

even grade 1 engineering makes a lot of difference. It's worth checking on engineers.
Grade 5 materials are sometimes a pain to get but, there's a lot to do before getting there.

On your conda, just doing a roll of lightweight sensors/life support will noticeably increase your jump range :)
If A grade thrusters are too expensive, you can still buy C or D and engineer them a bit for a decent result
Powerplant too expensive? Do a few rolls of low power shields or efficient lasers etc...

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:58 pm

Believe me if you buy into this game it is not simple......

Decide what you want to do and buy/engineer a ship for that.......

People have multiple ships for different roles.......Combat......Trading.....Etc.....

FDL is my combat ship.....Or was supposed to be......But I hardly use it.......

Personally I just pilot a multi- role Python (Engineered to fuck, But it's my main ship).....Swap things in and out on whatever I fancy doing.....

I tend to get bored quickly doing the same thing all the time.......

I have never been a fan of the big ships and have never owned one (except in beta)

At the moment just doing 5 mill missions and popping into USS's shopping.......Dropped my discovery scanner and vehicle hanger to get 180 cargo capacity and 4 limpets.......

Should I need planet based stuff I drop the limpet controller and put a vehicle hanger in......

The ship depends on what you want to do with it........Engineering the same.......Cut down weight if exploring......Cut down thermal and power draw if combat.......Depending on ship...Power plant.....Power distributer etc....

There is a myriad of combinations that you have to research and work out yourself for what YOU want to do in game......

No one build is the right build.......Yes you can copy good builds....If your happy with it then fine.....If not ditch it......Try something else..

Big thing for me is learning your ship......What it can and cannot do.....How it performs....

When confident in it and you know what it's limitations are...

You smile......

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo

Postby GlobusDiablo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:36 pm

CasualGard wrote:...What I think I do not have the skill to do is build and “configure” my ship. I got a bad ‘conda and a fun Chieftan – a couple of hundred mill in upgrades and so on. But I don’t really think either of them is actually good. The problem is that I really don’t know what to ask for!

As TT says; if your main concern is optimizing your ships then A is best and D is lightest depending on what you want. Engineers upgrade modules, but don't do it if you don't find it fun, as it isn't required unless you're in to hardcore PvP.

I unlock the Engineers I stumble upon and upgrade whatever I have materials for. Doesn't make any difference to my gameplay experience what so ever.

I've had most of the big ships, but mostly truck the galaxy in my A rated Asp Explorer, taking passengers where they need to go.

Configuring your ship isn't essential for PvE/Mobius. As your combat rank rises you will meet harder NPCs however, so a decent setup and strategy is always a good idea. :)

Cmdr Darkminded
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Darkminded
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Cmdr Darkminded » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:01 pm

CasualGard wrote:I've been flying around in space for 200+ hours for the last few months since I installed the game. I think I got the hang of the basics at least – doing missions, CGs and the regular stuff.
What I think I do not have the skill to do is build and “configure” my ship. I got a bad ‘conda and a fun Chieftan – a couple of hundred mill in upgrades and so on. But I don’t really think either of them is actually good. The problem is that I really don’t know what to ask for! I pick up a few fragments of information here and there that I can translate in to my game, but that’s it. How do I know what I need help to figure out? Don’t get me started on engineering…
The same applies to in-game activities I guess. If it’s not in my face, I miss out… I think... Am I missing out on something?
Yes first there is the frontier foruns, also reddit, you also have tools to figure out what build you want, Search for INARA and ED SHIPYARD on Google

Enviado do meu D2403 através do Tapatalk
Viscount Darkminded, Diplomat of the Empire, Preceptor of The White Templars

CasualGard
Harmless
Harmless

Postby CasualGard » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:42 pm

Thanks guys! I'm down with the kinda "basic setup" of a ship. I usually know what to a-grade and what not to.
My 'conda is kind of a boring ship. It's like trying to do a dirt bike course in a tank (or feels like). I usually tank with it for lower lvl friends or just do cargo hauls. The chieftan is actually a cool bounty hunting thing. Not as powerful I think (like an FDL), but it zippy and fun to fly.
But there we are again. I think there's something I miss out on. If I try to bounty another conda+ size ship with a "high level" NPC, I get the crap shot out of me... Why?
And how and where do you actually find the stuff you need for engineering. Some are simple, i know, but without googling the crap out of every material - Is there a "in game" way of finding out?

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen

Postby LeDoyen » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:19 pm

There is very little you can find "in game" unfortunately.

Engineering materials, trade routes and data, surface materials, mining spots, even the fucking backstory all is locked outside Elite.

I suggest you keep Inara at hand just to know where to look for what https://inara.cz/galaxy-components/

As for bounty hunting on higher level ships, that's where engineering does help too, as well as practice of course ^^
In that regard, you can hop on Mobius Discord and ask for a wing for bounty hunting practice. it's a pretty fun way to learn

CasualGard
Harmless
Harmless

Postby CasualGard » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:36 pm

Thanks mate! I'm currently observing the discord :P

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:14 pm

Link Inara to EDMC.........Through the API.......

It'll tell ya what you want and what you are missing in a crafting list for engineers.....

It'll also tell you a whole lot more of useful stuff...........

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Return to “Gameplay and Features”