Community Support for the machines running the game
MasterAce
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: MasterAce
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Logitech X52 Pro MFD display utility release

Postby MasterAce » Thu May 28, 2020 1:54 pm

Yes i was running display.exe, tried several times yesterday before posting. I tried it again several times today. It wasn't working but then i noticed that i had an issue with the hotas where my pc was acting like i was continuously pressing the left arrow key but it was just a faulty input from hotas and the hotas also didn't display the right colours when i truned on the pc. I fully disconnected and reconnected it and the issue stopped and the display.exe now opens a console and mfd displays stuff.

MasterAce
Harmless
Harmless

Postby MasterAce » Thu May 28, 2020 3:45 pm

So my display stopped updating info, i shut it down and tried to run it again and it just opens and closes the console like before...
Turning off real time protection for windows defender and running the exe as administrator has no effect, and neither is disconnecting and reconnecting the hotas. I'll restart and see if that works after i'm done with some things

Edit: looks like my previous message didn't post but i said that i was sure that i was running the right file. I tried several times yesterday and today and at one point it started working.

pakkenberg
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: pakkenberg

Postby pakkenberg » Thu May 28, 2020 4:03 pm

Ok, that is more bizarre, and sorry for doubting you. Can you try to run it from the command line, by manually opening a console, navigating to the folder and running the program? That way, it won't discard any error messages after the program closes again.

If you do manage to capture any error messages, then feel free to post the issue to the bug tracker here: https://github.com/peterbn/EDx52display/issues/new

MasterAce
Harmless
Harmless

Postby MasterAce » Thu May 28, 2020 4:04 pm

ok so i managed to launch it again. I noticed (czu my controls weren't working properly in game )that after i reconnected the hotas that it was on No Profile instead of my custom one. When i switched to mine the exe file launched properly again. But its still weird that it stopped working in the first place.

I am gonna keep playing and see if it stops working again and see if there are any error messages in the cosnole

MasterAce
Harmless
Harmless

Postby MasterAce » Thu May 28, 2020 4:33 pm

Huh so more weird stuff started happening:

First the time on the mfd suddenly changed to some other random time in all 3 positions. But when i went to properties in game controllers no time zone settings were changed... I just pressed ok and it went back to normal

Then it happened again but this time the display brightness also dropped. Once again nothing in properties changed and i had to move the slider down and back up again in order to get the brightness up. (Also the display flickers when its on anything other than max brightness but that seems to be a common problem and an unrelated one at that)

Do you think it might be your program causing these random changes? Or maybe i have faulty drivers or something...

I am gonna reinstall the drivers for this hotas and see if its gonna happen again

The program is very good when it does work so its worth the hustle

Edit: so driver reinstall didn't help, within minutes of me playing the display just went to min brightness but it was set to max in properties when i went to fix it. I am gonna play without your program running but with market connector running and see if i will be having any more problems

MasterAce
Harmless
Harmless

Postby MasterAce » Thu May 28, 2020 6:30 pm

So i played for almost 2 hours without your program running and nothing weird happened, so it seems your program was the culprit all along, unfortunately.
I'll type everything out and post it as an issue on GitHub a bit later

pakkenberg
Harmless
Harmless

Postby pakkenberg » Thu May 28, 2020 7:37 pm

Hi MasterAce,

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me at all. As far as I know, market connector doesn't touch the MFD at all, so I would have been very surprised if it had been causing problems.

I have a fear that the problem here is Windows updates, since my program hasn't changed since release, and I doubt that the drivers have been updated either.

Since my gaming/dev setup is still on Windows 8 (yeah, I know...), I probably won't be able to reproduce the issue - just to set expectations.

One last thing you can try is to find the DirectOutput.dll file from your newly installed drivers and copy it into the DepInclude folder found next to the display app. That is where it's looking for the drivers.

Fly safe o7

Voodoo
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Voodoo Le Strange
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Voodoo » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:06 am

Just to say 2 things:

1) Excellent utility for the X52. Thank you so much for giving us this!

2) I also experience the problem that MasterAce mentions just 2 and 3 posts ago (with the flickering screen and jumping scroll).

I have discovered that the problem is something to do with how the utility loads rather than how it runs.

Half the time it loads ok, and the utility is stable for the whole session.

At other times, it just doesn't seem to load properly, and the left and right scroll wheels will jump two pages at a time or two lines at a time, respectively, and the screen will change brightness at every rotation of either wheel.

The problem cannot be corrected by stopping and re-running the utility; it remains until you restart the computer. Then it's a 50-50 whether it will load stably next time.

I don't know if this description of its random loading behaviour gives any clue as to what the problem is? It's still a great utility when it loads properly!
Last edited by Voodoo on Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Runedog
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Runedog

Postby Runedog » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:16 am

I must say, this is an outstanding idea for a tool to work with the x52 display for Elite Dangerous.

I have followed the instructions in this thread and on Github and I am now seeing the contents of my cargo hold on the MFD (which is super helpful - thank you), but I don't have any of the other functionality. The scroll wheels don't seem to do anything.

I'm not sure if this is an issue with my HOTAS software, but I will keep messing around with that to find out.

pakkenberg
Harmless
Harmless

Postby pakkenberg » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:48 pm

This is all very curious.

If you are having issues, I wonder if you could try running

Code: Select all

X52MFDDriver.exe --input mfd.json

which will simply load the static contents of the mfd.json file onto your hotas MFD. This should still support all the scrolling between pages and lines, but will not get any updates of the data as you play.
I know it's not exactly useful from a gameplay perspective, but it will be interesting to see if that is stable, or if you are also getting stability issues there.

And, if anyone out there has any pull requests with fixes for any of these problems, please let me know. I can't reproduce any of this on my system, so I'm flying blind on trying to solve the problems.

That being said, I'm also super excited that people care enough to complain :D .

Return to “Hardware and Technical”