Community Support for the machines running the game
thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: New Rig: GTX vs RTX

Postby thebs » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:09 pm

Pixmax is why I haven't upgraded from my Oculus Rift.
I seriously looked at the Vive Pro, but I really want to wait on the full market response when it comes to 2nd+ Gen.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:52 pm

tinnitus wrote:
TorTorden wrote:Little love on my pimax front as well.

Email today from Pimax shipping /deliver Feb 21th to Feb 27th, tracking number to follow.

You'll likely to have one long before I do then.

Let's just say I'm am pissed at them.
Here's hoping you won't have to deal with their support line cause all you get there false promises and lame excuses.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

tinnitus
Master
Master
CMDR: Nar Nar Goon
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby tinnitus » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:47 pm

I was not expecting to see a delivery date just around the corner when I saw the mail arrive and thought about canceling but I want this technology may as well wait it out now as later.

Tor: If it is worth anything my order was made/paid state side not in Canada .
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:58 pm

Their probably try to do better. But in the past they have been throwing dates out willy nilly.

Blow past them and then offer a vague "oopsie we missed it".

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

schwifty
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: roothahn

Postby schwifty » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:28 pm

I just came back from a tour through the city, looking to buy the Rift. Media Markt, Saturn, Cyberport, GameStop and some other little shop. Here I am, money to spend.. But Nothing! Nobody sells neither Rift or Vive.

No wonder why they all are whining and complaining how bad VR sells. Yeah because nobody sells it.
Damn. I'm angry :-D

ok to be fair, Media Markt did have the PSVR+, I also did play some minutes of a racing game. Well, nice but ugly graphics and text hard to read.
If that's what they're giving test drives in the stores, no wonder why nobody is attracted to VR, either.
Everybody's summary: Nice, but nah. :roll:

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:06 pm

Yeah, like I said.
You would have to go directly to the oculus online store, and you probably would have it delivered by the end of the week.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

tinnitus
Master
Master
CMDR: Nar Nar Goon

Postby tinnitus » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:07 pm

Well gosh darn pimax changed the shipping date from next week to the last week of May first week of June. Contact with them is rather void of useful information. I canceled the order after that pimax reports two weeks to cancel refund my CC but contacting the CC people who done it immediately . Thinking about buying the VIVE Pro HMD good reviews on this VR.
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:31 am

schwifty wrote:I just came back from a tour through the city, looking to buy the Rift. Media Markt, Saturn, Cyberport, GameStop and some other little shop. Here I am, money to spend.. But Nothing! Nobody sells neither Rift or Vive.
No wonder why they all are whining and complaining how bad VR sells. Yeah because nobody sells it.
Damn. I'm angry :-D

Here in the US, the full Oculus Rift + 2 sensor + 2 touch controllers (plus a half-dozen semi-okay games) is only US$349 at Amazon. For sitting in Elite, 2 sensors will do. That's really cheap to get Elite in VR -- and now -- assuming you already have the GPU and HOTAS (don't try to keyboard with a VR headset on).

For half-room size play standing, I recommend adding a 3rd sensor with extension cable for another US$50. I actually use a Powered USB 3.0 hub for the sensors and Oculus Rift, and a Powered USB 2.0 hub for my HOTAS and other components, which ran me another US$50. It all depends on how many USB ports you have on your base system.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

schwifty
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: roothahn

Postby schwifty » Thu May 09, 2019 9:01 am

I wanted to say that I'm quite happy with my Rift.
Despite the problem, that landing pad numbers are only readable within a range of 1km or so ...

Then I tested some HOTAS systems.
The TFlight4 was really ok at the beginning, very beginner friendly. Almost perfectly placed buttons, though not very few. But plastic toy and gets sweaty almost instantly after you grab it. After a month, the stick started to wobble around like hell (also in null-position). Flying straight forward? not possible anymore. Also, the stick creaks like a squirrel.

The x56 has a nice rubber surface, no sweaty feeling at all. But, Stick has a high clearance. About a range of 1 cm where nothing happens when you move the stick. Yaw axis is hard to move. Throttle is way harder (in the lightst friction setting); also it's sometimes hard (when long not used) and goes lighter if heavy-used. Bad for combat. Switches on the Throttle base are ok. Buttons on throttle are also hard to hit, sometimes you don't really know if it worked because of ambiguous feedback.

The Warthog. Yes baby. That's a Stick. Well, at least at the first impression. The industrial switches have drawbacks. They're not as accurate as the x56 ones. It seems they're designed to be hammered on, with metal gloves on. Overall construction is not very accurate (had problems to reconnect the dual-throttle together, hole not really matching the stick).
The plastic heads on the switches make them feel wobbly and inaccurate. Especially the default "thruster back"-switch. I still don't know if that switch has 2 or 3 states or if the plastic head just overshoots the switch.
Some buttons (like the gray SILENCE) are so hard to push, I hesitate to set functions used on a regular basis.
Throttle legs feel kind of fragile (can move it sideways, ugh).
Missing yaw axis, can handle that. I've set the thumb-axis to yaw, which I'm yet to get used to. I ordered the Saitek combat rudder pedals. Will see how it goes. But the Throttle moves very nice, waaay better than the x56.
The Stick. Heavy, good. Precise, yes. But. The Stick sometimes / sporadically is a little bit left-oriented. So, when I do nothing (null-position), the ship is rolling leftwards a little bit. Is that normal? Or did I've got a monday device? Thinkin' about RMA'ing .

After all, I'm yet to decide between x56 and Warthog. The x56 seemed to be made especially for Elite, while the Warthog more for DCS/A10.
I am surprised that I am disappointed of the Warthog. And I'm disappointed that I'm disappointed :roll:

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Thu May 09, 2019 10:19 am

schwifty wrote:...
The Stick. Heavy, good. Precise, yes. But. The Stick sometimes / sporadically is a little bit left-oriented. So, when I do nothing (null-position), the ship is rolling leftwards a little bit. Is that normal? Or did I've got a monday device? Thinkin' about RMA'ing .

After all, I'm yet to decide between x56 and Warthog. The x56 seemed to be made especially for Elite, while the Warthog more for DCS/A10.
I am surprised that I am disappointed of the Warthog. And I'm disappointed that I'm disappointed :roll:

Well, the warthog is a plastic cup gimbal with a heavy grip,,
They did cut corners on the design.

Sounds to me you need to get the stick re-calibrated, but from what I gather you need to file a support request with Thrustmaster.
I found an old post on Ealge Dynamics website with the download for a warthog calibration tool, but it is from 2011, although being Thrustmaster chances are that is the latest one anyways :P
https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=7

I too tried a warthog throttle, but found it great in DCS, hardly useable for my playstyle in Elite, so was using my old ch-pro throttle instead for that, until I also got the Virpil t-50, but then I also got a second virpil stick and gimbal as well...
I consider it my 'Voltron" setup. Can't really recommend anyone get similar cause it's $1500 or so and I don't want that on my concsience if someone doesn't feel it's worth it.

You can also try just adding a bit of deadzone to the axis, in game so it will still read it as center, even though it leans a little.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”