Stabby_Dave
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Stabby Dave
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

cpu fan mounting screws

Postby Stabby_Dave » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:37 pm

Hi.

Just bought a new cpu for my socket 1366 mobo. Problem is, some of the plastic cpu cooler fan retaining screw/bolt thingys have broken.

Tried Ebay, tried Amazon, Maplins, you name it. No joy. The old fan works fine, so I'm loathe to buy a whole new unit. Best option I can see, is to get a new bracket (with fixing screws) from China, but that'll take a month to get here (UK).

Any ideas, anyone?

Cheers.

Renown
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Renown
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: cpu fan mounting screws

Postby Renown » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:42 pm

Any Maplins nearby? Closing down so might also get a deal out of it.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:56 pm

What fansink is it? Usually fans degrade with time, so it's usually worth it to buy a new unit if it's more than 12-24 months ago.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Stabby_Dave
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Stabby Dave

Postby Stabby_Dave » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:20 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Tried Maplins - no go. The cooler is a "BFO" Alaska Nero. I emailed them (sales@alaska.co.uk), but it bounced back.

Looks like mid April till I'm back up and running. Meh!

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen

Postby LeDoyen » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:07 pm

Alaska Nero or Akasa Nero? if it's the latter, you sent your mail with a typo

If it's that fansink, is it the plastic 1/4 turn brackets fixed to the base that broke?
This system is a joke tbh.. it barely holds the weight of a stock Intel fan, which is pretty light. I would not entrust it with holding such a heavy heatsink.

Personally, i would rather seek a replacement cooler altogether, which uses a backplate and proper screws

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:15 pm

Agree with above........

Buy a new one............

Not worth fucking about with.............

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:50 pm

Stabby_Dave wrote:Thanks for the replies.
Tried Maplins - no go. The cooler is a "BFO" Alaska Nero. I emailed them (sales@alaska.co.uk), but it bounced back.
Looks like mid April till I'm back up and running. Meh!

Buy an interim solution local or from Amazon, then change it out later for what you wanted. You can use the interim solution as a backup in the future.

TIP: I try to buy things on-sale and then either two (2) or one (1) and a cheap 'backup,' so I have a spare. This is especially the case with Power Supplies, Cooling Fans, Fansinks, and other, low-cost items.

FYI: Because my Mini-ITX cases are tight, I'm using nothing special on my i7-4790K and i5-4590K processors, just 60mm height fansinks with 92-100mm fans. No copper, just aluminum. Do a better job than the Intel fansink, even those with copper.

Of course, for the LGA-1366's core count, you might need something a little better.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen

Postby LeDoyen » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:12 pm

PSUs are not really low cost, and cheap ones can fry your components pretty effectively, so do cheap coolers (as well as the insane noise of small diameter fans when gaming).

As always, a tradeoff between cost and performance.

ie : the Akasa is around 50+$ and it broke.. 50$ down the drain.
A Noctua equivalent would be closer to 70$ but would last years. Mine has been cooling two consecutive rigs so far (close to 6 years).
As always, you get what you pay for ;)

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:36 pm

LeDoyen wrote:PSUs are not really low cost, and cheap ones can fry your components pretty effectively,
Not when 80-85% efficient quality units they are US$50-60 off on-sale/after-MIR. ;) That's why I buy them when on-sale, and save them for when needed.

I don't know how many times friends of mine have PSUs die or get reduced performance, and they are shocked I only ask for $30-40 for the same PSU that's $80-100 at NewEgg.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”