Community Support for the machines running the game
Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Will a new mobo help?

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:22 am

Started playing again. Forgot how amazing this game looks in the Rift.

The I remembered one of the reasons I stopped playing. The CH Pro Throttle disconnected - and stayed disconnected. So I quit and restarted the game, but this time the Rift was dark (speakers working). Something said the HMD could not be found and to reboot it, but then it turned out to be Steam VR and it tried rebooting a Vive! WTF? So I rebooted the computer, but still a dead RIft. I guess I need to go through setup again.

I bought an Inateck PCI/USB board 18 months ago, but I don't think it ever really helped that much with disconnects. I use the Oculus Tray Tool and disable the USB suspend, use the Fresco Tweaks, and set the power scheme to high power, but still I have problems (in ED, but not ETS2/ATS/IL-2).

Is it the Gigabyte mobo (GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK)? Is there a VERY COMPATIBLE mobo for the Rift and ED? I'll replace it if it will solve my problems.

Or is the problem really Windows 10? I'm tempted to just wipe the drive and reinstall my Windows 7. Then maybe use the computer only for gaming and not worry too much about it not being supported. I can do email and banking on the little Linux box I'm building.

Thoughts & Suggestions?
It's time to give this another go.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Re: Will a new mobo help?

Postby thebs » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:38 am

Don't use XHCI (USB 3.0) for legacy controllers. I plug even my X-56 into EHCI (USB 2.0) ports for a reason.

Doesn't matter if you're running NT6.1 (Windows 7) or NT6.4 aka NT10 (Windows 10).
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:53 pm

thebs wrote:Don't use XHCI (USB 3.0) for legacy controllers. I plug even my X-56 into EHCI (USB 2.0) ports for a reason.

I added the USB 3.0 ports for the Rift and Sensors. The CH Throttle is plugged into USB 2.0, although I may have implied otherwise earlier. :oops: Regardless, offloading some USB to a card did not help with the mobo USB ports.

Right now I'm really leaning toward the second option - go back to Windows 7. I'll just need to find out if Windows 10 is a requirement (directx 12 or whatever).

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby LeDoyen » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:13 am

if it's a power issue causing disconnects, remember that an USB port will only output 500mA, no more. this can vary a bit from manufacturer to manufacturer but not by much.
Each of the X56 element taxes like 300mA for example (love the useless RGB Leds).

I'd say try a powered USB hub first. It doesn't cost much and it's quick to see if it solves your disconnects. The OS has nothing to do with power issues, if that is the issue (and it looks like one).

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:45 pm

I don't know - I'm kind of excited about getting rid of Windows 10! :)

I reviewed my post, Doo Daa Loo, from 1.5 years ago. The throttle problem is between Windows and CH Control Manager. If I don't use the CH software, the throttle does not disconnect, but I only get about 50% range on the mini stick, and for thrusters, that is not acceptable. And the problem definitely appeared with Win 10 - not when I got the Rift. CH said Windows needs to fix the problem, and they haven't yet. I wish I know why some CH Throttle users don't have a problem, and that's why I thought it might be mobo related, at least partially.

And I think Win 10 does have something to do with power issues as they keep tying to shut everything down to save the planet. <_< I've also been having a problem recently where the computer just freezes, sometimes for up to 10-15 seconds or maybe more. This is just doing normal windows stuff like email or browsing. And this is just since the Fall Creators Update.

Anyway, I'm just about set. One more back up of Win10 and then format the drive and put Win7 back on. Then add just the stuff I need to play ED and cross my fingers. If that works, I should be good for at least 3 years - about the time I'll hopefully be building a new system for real generation 2 VR (maybe 2.5). And hopefully by then there will be Linux port of ED (wishful thinking).

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:23 pm

Sure there are a lot of reasons to not like win 10.

But many of the DX features VR rely on are at best partially supported in win 8 and not supported at all in win 7.
Your mileage will vary, and most likely more and more features will vanish entirely for that plattform.
In short, sure win 10 isn't the most appealing OS, but I'd rather use that than 7.

Dodgy USB controllers won't be magically fixed just because using an older OS.

In my experience, the z97 generation is just barely fully supporting VR, moving to a newer chipsset and DDR4 was the real fix, still not iron clad though, but in essence much more stable.
Although as a second note. USB extension cables ARE THE BANE of stable tracking.
I have tried half a dozen good quality extension cables and best I can get is barely working, plugging the same sensor into the same ports without them and everything is fine.

Hence my PC monitor is now on a 10m DP cable, and the box itself closer to the VR area.
This was the simplest fix.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:21 pm

Well, I bit the bullet and installed Win 7 a few weeks ago. My first day playing I went 12 hours - and then had a disconnect. After installing the Rift, I now generally get a disconnect or two within the first several minutes of playing, but then can go hours w/o any more problems. And the disconnects are different. Rather than constantly connecting and disconnecting, making the game completely unplayable, now they are hard disconnects that require a reboot.

So it's a little bit of a hassle, but so much better and I can deal with a reboot or two. I don't know why I didn't do it a year and a half ago, other than I thought I'd need Win10 or DX12 or whatever for VR. But nothing I play now or plan on playing in the near future need any of that. And in a couple years, when there may be new VR hardware and software that will require updating my operating system, I'll have an ancient computer and be ready to upgrade everything at that time.

And now I finally get to play ED again, and starting over, and after so long, it's like learning it all over again. :)

Nelina
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Nelina Dag'thul
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Nelina » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:49 pm

If you dont have Problems with other vr-games: Do you start ED out of Steam ? If so, you should maybe use the Standalone-Launcher from Frontier and disable SteamVR from autorun.
If that doesnt help, a new Mobo could help, but you cant be sure.

I used a very very long time a z68-board with an i5-2500k@4Ghz.
After getting a vive i got also a lot of problems with USB.
Most of the time the vive-controllers could not be found, averything else worked fine, but hey i thought its time for something new and bought a z200-Board (Asus Maximus Hero IX) with an i7-7800k.
Of cause that was expensive, especially because the performance in ED and most of the other games were almost the same with the used gtx980ti. But the big good thing was: I never got any USB-Problems so far.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:13 pm

TorTorden wrote:Sure there are a lot of reasons to not like win 10.
But many of the DX features VR rely on are at best partially supported in win 8 and not supported at all in win 7.

That's why I finally moved to Win10, Win8 was required for the Oculus Touch.
► Show Spoiler

TorTorden wrote:In short, sure win 10 isn't the most appealing OS, but I'd rather use that than 7.

They are really all the same OS -- NT version 6 -- despite Microsoft artificially bumping the tech number to 10, it's really NT 6.4.
► Show Spoiler

TorTorden wrote:Dodgy USB controllers won't be magically fixed just because using an older OS.

Well, that's not always true. Microsoft can not only deprecate support, but some vendors don't update their drivers. But that's another story. Most of the time I can 'forge' NT10 in the INF, and get it to load, when a vendor doesn't update for Windows 10.

TorTorden wrote:In my experience, the z97 generation is just barely fully supporting VR, moving to a newer chipsset and DDR4 was the real fix, still not iron clad though, but in essence much more stable.

Sorry, gotta call BS on that. I'm running on a 4 year-old Z97 + i-4790K platform. Also, despite popular opinion, until only recently, DDR4 has no faster response time than DDR3.
► Show Spoiler

TorTorden wrote:Although as a second note. USB extension cables ARE THE BANE of stable tracking.

Yes, EHCI (USB 2.0) and XHCI (USB 3.0) have specific limitations on length, and they can take issues with an added dongle/connector. Most people not only exceed them, but use and old OHCI (USB 1.1) spec extension cable with EHCI (USB 2.0), or an EHCI (USB 2.0) spec extension cable with XHCI (USB 3.0). It's very, very important to get a spec rated cable because of how the wiring is done, any twist or shielding, etc...
► Show Spoiler

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:Well, I bit the bullet and installed Win 7 a few weeks ago. My first day playing I went 12 hours - and then had a disconnect. After installing the Rift, I now generally get a disconnect or two within the first several minutes of playing, but then can go hours w/o any more problems. And the disconnects are different. Rather than constantly connecting and disconnecting, making the game completely unplayable, now they are hard disconnects that require a reboot.

All Windows platforms are horrendous Plug'n Play platforms, but I've found Windows 10 to over-query/over-reset too much, causing most of the issues I've had. But luckily I rarely have them with my X-56 on the EHCI (USB 2.0) ports. Although they really do screw up on XHCI (USB 3.0) ports.

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:So it's a little bit of a hassle, but so much better and I can deal with a reboot or two. I don't know why I didn't do it a year and a half ago, other than I thought I'd need Win10 or DX12 or whatever for VR. But nothing I play now or plan on playing in the near future need any of that. And in a couple years, when there may be new VR hardware and software that will require updating my operating system, I'll have an ancient computer and be ready to upgrade everything at that time.
And now I finally get to play ED again, and starting over, and after so long, it's like learning it all over again. :)

I haven't played since January. I really need to change that, but ... alas ... I've been too slammed with all sorts of professional duties.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:15 pm

Got a New Throttle
Problem Solved Apparently
Well Suck Me Sideways

Return to “Hardware and Technical”