Community Support for the machines running the game
Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Horizontal screen tearing after Windows update

Postby Walter » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:23 am

As someone who doesn't know any better, I've always assumed that the "Clean install" option in the driver installer would take care of this.

But I'm probably an innocent abroad.

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas

Postby de Carabas » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:43 am

Using Control Panel options to remove drivers never fully removes drivers. It really should say "uninstall apart from some of the crap that I can't be bothered to remove, you probably won't notice".

If it is driver related as said (by TOR) earlier in the thread the best thing is to use DDU to REALLY uninstall it. http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/dis ... nload.html

You can then try a clean install but you are going to have to make a call on which driver version to go with.

Also, did you try the windowed borderless screen mode in game?
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:06 am

Thanks guys but this is spinning out of control now.

I no longer see my gtx1080 in device management (no gfx card option at all). I'm running off some generic windows screen driver right now.

Trying to install gfx drivers from Nvidia or Asus results in install failure... :(

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:15 am

Third time's a charm. Nvidia dlc finally agreed to download to my PC and I seem to have proper gfx again. Will report back on the screen tearing.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:20 am

Walter wrote:As someone who doesn't know any better, I've always assumed that the "Clean install" option in the driver installer would take care of this...

I don't see that option anywhere.

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas

Postby de Carabas » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:34 am

GlobusDiablo wrote:
Walter wrote:As someone who doesn't know any better, I've always assumed that the "Clean install" option in the driver installer would take care of this...

It's normally an option in the GeForce experience app when you install them through there. For me, for a long time, the only way they would install from GeForce experince was to tick that box. The number of times it went through the whole process and only just before the end did I remember I hadn't ticked that box and - - fail...
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:44 am

de Carabas wrote:
GlobusDiablo wrote:

It's normally an option in the GeForce experience app when you install them through there. For me, for a long time, the only way they would install from GeForce experince was to tick that box. The number of times it went through the whole process and only just before the end did I remember I hadn't ticked that box and - - fail...

Will report back.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:47 am

You have to do the Advanced/Custom install to get the option in the drivers to do a clean install. I never do a default install and always choose custom so I can keep the stuff I don't use off my system (ie: Nvidia 3D drivers and GeForce Experience since I use neither).
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:00 am

Loriath wrote:You have to do the Advanced/Custom install to get the option in the drivers to do a clean install. I never do a default install and always choose custom so I can keep the stuff I don't use off my system (ie: Nvidia 3D drivers and GeForce Experience since I use neither).

Cheers. Will have a look at this as well.

So, it's safe to say that I've had everything deleted. To the point where the card itself was hard to find apparently. I now have the whole bloody Nvidia package installed (bells and whistles and all), an no change.

Fullscreen is a tearing mess. Windowed mode doesn't tear (of course...), but who runs in windowed mode, and why would I since everything worked dandy up until this damn Windows update!!! And borderless is an unplayable mess (frames drop to 20 fps).

So, the full Nvidia package does nothing. Don't know what to do now.

Tearing applies to MGS5 as well (my other main game), so I'm fucked... Proper fucked... (give it your best shot Kharma)

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:53 am

Right. So MGS5 has become stable again. I don't know why. I tried optimising both games through Geforce experience without any change, but then suddenly after several reboots MGS5 became stable, but E: D did not. E: D continues to be a tearing unplayable mess.

I have no idea what to do here. I guess I'll be giving E: D a break and will pop back now and then to see if it is playable.

Make no mistake; I know who the culprit is. E: D (and my other games) played flawlessly up until this damn Windows Creators update. And a quick google search for "tearing after windows creators update" confirms this.

Bugger.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”