Community Support for the machines running the game
IronDuke
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Iron Duke
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: New X52/X52 Pro software

Postby IronDuke » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:47 am

Yeah I'm running the new software, as I had to reinstall Winsh1te 10. Logitech have cleaned up the old software, stuck a load of their advertising in the application but thankfully it does not affect the drivers :D . The smart technology panel where you setup the MFD etc., (can't remember what it's called exactly) is a little convoluted but once set seems to stay that way, unlike the previous version that I had. So at least the drivers retain settings and load up correctly when plugging in the joystick. Otherwise, still get the annoying problem of the mouse running to the far right of the screen sometimes but can live with it in general. I wish they would put in a little effort and clean-up the software properly instead of a tweak and rebadge. However, it's still an improvement.
Distant Worlds Expedition 3302 | 65000 LY From SOL Club

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:17 am

Yep, rebadge. Not worth the trouble for the vast majority of users. I have the drivers and programming software backed up and if I ever have to reinstall them I will probably use the same ones.

I have a Logitech G13 and if I could use it without their bloated software, I would. I also have one of their gamepads. Plug and Play, no drivers, no software. Works great.

IMO, if you can get along with just drivers, do it. If it requires a lot of other software, then its an issue. I like Logitech products, but their software has become bloatware over the years. Glad they are so ubiquitous that Windows recognizes them and that you can get by with the vast majority of Logitech hardware without their software.

When they bought Saitek, my hope is that they would fix the issues and up the Quality control. They haven't and I don't think they will till the next generation if they even do that. I am happy with my X52pro, but it does have issues. There are a couple of buttons that are having issues, and the display on it is a little messed up. Would I buy it again? Now? No. I would get the Thrustmaster T16000 FCS which is cheaper and from what I can see, better made.

Would I have bought it in the first place knowing about the issues? I knew all about the issues when i bought it. But it was the only game in town in my price range.

IF Logitech designs and builds an X53Pro, then I will take a look. Even if it was the exact same as the X52Pro except they fixed the wiring issues, then even at the same price or a little higher it is still a good deal. But the Thrustmaster is So close in price that they would have to Prove to me that they are now Built to Last.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:43 am

Only thing to cause my pc to bluescreen unless I have done things in BIOS I shouldn't
Logicrap Gaming software..

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:50 am

Fully agree that the Logitech software is crap and you are definitely better off without it. Unfortunately, Logitech support has also gotten worse over the years, which makes me steer clear of Logitech these days.

I have the T16000M+TWCS combo, heard similar things about Thrustmaster's T.A.R.G.E.T. software, and decided to simply install just the 'driver' but not any of the software. The only thing I seem to be missing is the ability to define a deadzone for the mini stick on the throttle; other than that, I can configure the stick just fine in E:D and it 'just works'.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:04 am

Cometborne wrote:Fully agree that the Logitech software is crap and you are definitely better off without it. Unfortunately, Logitech support has also gotten worse over the years, which makes me steer clear of Logitech these days.

I have the T16000M+TWCS combo, heard similar things about Thrustmaster's T.A.R.G.E.T. software, and decided to simply install just the 'driver' but not any of the software. The only thing I seem to be missing is the ability to define a deadzone for the mini stick on the throttle; other than that, I can configure the stick just fine in E:D and it 'just works'.

The normal trick that I use for the throttle is to calibrate just a little short in each end, that way fully back and full forward absolute zero and full 100%.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:04 pm

The throttle itself is no problem, but it has a built-in mini stick used for vertical and lateral thrusters during landings and optionally headlook.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:36 pm

Cometborne wrote:The throttle itself is no problem, but it has a built-in mini stick used for vertical and lateral thrusters during landings and optionally headlook.

Ah, yes, the CH pro-throtlle has the same, but that companion software works like a charm, use that to set a ramp curve on it.

If not for that I would consider using this http://xedocproject.com/joystickcurves.html

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Soul
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Soulflare
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Soul » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:47 pm

de Carabas wrote:OK, so I did all that with fingers crossed after making sure I had a roll-back windows snapshot.

Simple install, all working. If you do it you can copy your old profile to a new location. It all works as before because the programming side is just a rebadge as said by Lori. The only real difference is that access to the setup (LED brightness, dead-spots etc) is through the Devices and Printers section of Control Panel only, no shortcut from the notification area icon.

I'll keep an eye on Logitech and see if they ever change the software in a useful way.

So basically they removed features instead of adding them. That sounds like Logitech alright. They did the same thing a few years ago with the Logitech Gaming Software. (Namely they removed the basic copy of screaming Bee that was integrated into the Gaming Software.

Good reason to not update I suppose, even though I always use Devices and Printers. Guess you could say it's the principal more than anything.

Thanks for the info CMDR.

Cometborne wrote:The throttle itself is no problem, but it has a built-in mini stick used for vertical and lateral thrusters during landings and optionally headlook.

I despise that stick. It's movements are jarring and unreliable, and it's not comfortable to use. I use the "mouse button" as my ESC key though.

Sent from my LG G5 using Tapatalk
My X52 Keybinds (WIP) We've got a long way to go, and a short time to get there

Ironbar69
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Ironbar69

Postby Ironbar69 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:41 am

Installed the new driver last night and it works. The MFD finally displays the pressed buttons again and the commander name. That stopped a while ago with the old one. Only thing now is you have to set the lights via Win 10. Other than that it works with no flaws

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Avengerus
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Avengerus

Postby Avengerus » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:09 pm

the programming tool is still Saitek, but works ok for me.
A bit clunky though, but servers the purpose.

I don't have any issues with the latest Win10-x64 driver, so I would say so far so good!

I am using my own bindings and profile. Spent a few hours ironing them out :)

Return to “Hardware and Technical”