Community Support for the machines running the game
DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Any knowledgeable Windows people?

Postby DarkMere » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:00 pm

My computer died some 14 months ago and so I replaced it. I have only now got around to buying a disk enclosure so that I can get at the contents of the drive. When I try to access the contents of what was C: Users/'computers name' it will not allow me access. I expected that as the same happened with a hard drive from my old laptop, which when I followed the instructions below eventually gave me access after a few minutes. However I get the message 'You don't currently have access to this folder, click Continue to gain access to this folder. I click Continue, the green progress bar at the top gets almost to the end, but never actually reaches it. Not even after 40 minutes.

Anyone any idea how I can get at these files? I do of course know the original password for the computer system, but no where are you given the option of entering it.

Incidental the old computer ran Windows 10, as does my new one.

Edit: Sorry moderators and admins, I just realised that this is in the game help section. Please move to the correct place <slaps own wrists>

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Re: Any knowledgeable Windows people?

Postby Xebeth » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:49 pm

I think your post is fine here.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

energygap
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: energygap

Postby energygap » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:10 pm

I think you need to take ownership of the folder, if I my memory serves me well. Right click on it, properties and then security, click advanced and then the owner tab (I think).

Rather than try to remember, I did a quick search and this might help... https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-take-ow ... indows-10/

Hope that helps.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:52 pm

That, or you somehow are mounting the drive without admin privileges.
Try what @energygap suggest, if you can't do that I would see about finding an admin.

I don't really have ownership on my main storage drives,(I have just reinstalled on my SSD, but my spinning disks have been with me for at least the three last computers, every new install means you get a brand new user id) but I can use them fine, cause admin makes right. And yes I cringe at running admin as well, but hey it's windows so fuck it.
I'm kind of out of the game since win 7 launched so I can't be too certain about things anymore.

Or the drive itself might be sort of foobar.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere

Postby DarkMere » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:25 am

Thank you both and thank you energygap, the page you directed me to did the job Image

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby thebs » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:56 am

Welcome to Security Identifiers (SIDs) in the NT File System (NTFS).

Long story short: NT protects you from corrupting the file system by ensuring the running NT instance can reference every SID on the NT File System (NTFS). If not, it prevents you from access it. By 'taking ownership,' you are resetting the SIDs.

Longer story ...

SIDs compromise of two (2) parts, one being an object reference (e.g., User Principal, Security Group, Domain Local Group, etc...) and the other being the "Computer or Domain" (e.g., local computer/registry or domain).

► Show Spoiler

By taking ownership, you are applying a new set of SIDs to those files, solving the issue of the NT OS being unable to reference the SIDs.

E.g., your old Windows install that used the disk has its own, local computer/registry SIDs, which the new system you moved it to doesn't know about.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Return to “Hardware and Technical”