x52 Pro: trim rotary wheels sensitivity for thrust?

Community Support for the machines running the game
Ethan Harris
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Ethan Harris
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

x52 Pro: trim rotary wheels sensitivity for thrust?

Postby Ethan Harris » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:14 pm

I've seen several folks say they like using the trim wheels for thrust (the large wheel around (E) for lateral thrust, the small wheel around (i) for vertical thrust). I'd never tried it before, I just used my 8-hat (and my rudder pedals' "brakes") for thrust. But recently I've been doing more stuff on high-gee worlds, and having "trim" is extremely useful. I mapped these analog axes (helpful that I'd had nothing mapped to them before except in system and galaxy maps, where I used them for zoom and galactic-zed-axis movement), and gave it a shot.

And... it's almost perfect. But, that "almost" is far enough off to where I'm not sure I can keep doing it. Here's the issue: if you look at calibration using the game controller properties, you can see that both wheels jitter quite a bit when on the middle detent. So it's pretty much mandatory to create a deadzone; otherwise you can never totally zero your engines in normal flight. Fine—I don't think I'd want to rely exclusively on the detent to zero out lateral/vertical thrust, anyway.

But the issue is that the sensitivity curve is absolutely terrible. With no deadzone, I just have enough play to be able to make a low-gee, outpost or rotational-station pad landing. I barely turn the wheels from their detents and I get enough movement to be able to control it. The amount of clockwise turn of (E) between moving 8 m/s left (which I consider "fast" when making final landing adjustments) and zero is definitely less than 10 degrees. This is literally "fiddly".

And when I increase the deadzone, the play reduces enough so that just turning the vertical wheel down past the point where it just kicks in is way too much downward thrust to ever use safely on a high-gee world.

I've read on here and Reddit and FD's forums that people are using this every day and seem to love it. So: are you just okay with your ship jolting with each turn of the wheel, do you only use the wheels for "trim" (and if so, why would you regularly need lateral "trim", unless you're flying on your side, though?) and you use taps of digital controls like the hat buttons for precise movement, or do you know a way to adjust the sensitivity (preferably, a curve so that I have lots of room near the detent to adjust from 0 to, say, 30 m/s, then a rapid increase to max, since I pretty much never use that range of thrusters except for anti-gee trim, and takeoff upwards thrust at 100%)?

I really, really, really want to believe there's a way to adjust a sensitivity curve. It would be so beautiful to be able to maneuver laterally and vertically with a deft turn of the wheels. But I've scoured the Controls panel and can't find any way to do it. Help?

Return to “Hardware and Technical”