EDTracker Pro Wireless reviewed.

Community Support for the machines running the game
User avatar
GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
Posts: 2041
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:59 pm
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC
Contact:

EDTracker Pro Wireless reviewed.

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:49 am

Important note to consider is that the EDTracker isn't affected by light/mirrors/glas/windows, meaning that you can play in a fully lit room. A factor that is key for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQu13lvpWdo
Image

Wulfy
Novice
Novice
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:52 pm
CMDR: Wulf Sternhammer
CMDR_Platform: None Specified
Contact:

Re: EDTracker Pro Wireless reviewed.

Postby Wulfy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:20 pm

SWEET!! I have one of the original wired ED Trackers and its frankly brilliant but I look like a Rastafarian Lighthouse with the blinking light on top and the cables hanging down. I might just invest in this and do away with the PCB in a Tic Tac box :)
IGN: WULF STERNHAMMER
Image

TorTorden
Dangerous
Dangerous
Posts: 3953
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:13 am
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified
Contact:

Re: EDTracker Pro Wireless reviewed.

Postby TorTorden » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:41 pm

Heck. I'm tempted by the wireless EDtracker.

But then I remembered I have vr already so I bought ALL the engine trails instead.
And the DVD collection box of Stargate sg-1 seasons 1-10.
Image

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

User avatar
DarkMere
Master
Master
Posts: 913
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:46 am
CMDR: DarkMere
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC
Contact:

Re: EDTracker Pro Wireless reviewed.

Postby DarkMere » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:25 am

I have one of the old versions that you built yourself, buying the parts from various electrical outlets and taping the little mother board to a bit of wood. I fitted it to a girls elastic hair band that goes under your chin. Install the software that you can download somewhere on-line. Plug into the USB, press the little button on the motherboard on top of your head to calibrate, and away you go lol.

Its fully working albeit crude. If anyone wants it and is willing to pay for a jiffy envelope and the postage, its free to a good home. Just PM me. Can't post it right away as I have to wait till someone comes to collect it, or me :) However I am willing to trust anyone that wants it and take the P&P payment after they receive it.
Image

User avatar
Cometborne
Master
Master
Posts: 805
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:41 pm
CMDR: Cometborne
CMDR_Platform: None Specified
Contact:

Re: EDTracker Pro Wireless reviewed.

Postby Cometborne » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:13 am

Mine arrived yesterday, and while it takes a bit of fiddling at the start of each gaming session, I am quite happy with it.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

User avatar
GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
Posts: 2041
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:59 pm
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC
Contact:

Re: EDTracker Pro Wireless reviewed.

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:32 am

Cometborne wrote:Mine arrived yesterday, and while it takes a bit of fiddling at the start of each gaming session, I am quite happy with it.


Why do you need to fiddle? I have to replug the usb device and that's it. Have you remembered to save settings?

Btw: I found that tinkering with the in-game Dead zone makes it all the sweeter. 3 clicks from the bottom does the trick for me. See here for reference:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... ost5869247

Edit: I don't use OpenTrack btw. Can't see the need for it. :)
Image

User avatar
Cometborne
Master
Master
Posts: 805
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:41 pm
CMDR: Cometborne
CMDR_Platform: None Specified
Contact:

Re: EDTracker Pro Wireless reviewed.

Postby Cometborne » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:39 am

GlobusDiablo wrote:
Cometborne wrote:Mine arrived yesterday, and while it takes a bit of fiddling at the start of each gaming session, I am quite happy with it.


Why do you need to fiddle? I have to replug the usb device and that's it. Have you remembered to save settings?


The Velcro pad does not stick well to the headband of my wireless headset and typically comes off the headset when I pull the ED tracker off to attach the USB cable to recharge it, so I need to re-mount it, pull and plug the USB dongle, and at least recentre the view.

I could live with having to recentre the view since the position of the headset is always slightly different. I can probably sort the Velcro issues, which are mostly caused by the headband being too narrow on top. But why do I need to pull and plug the dongle each time? I am afraid that this is going to wear out the contacts on either the dongle or the PC over time. And after two years of a Qi-compatible smartphone, having to fiddle with a charge cable feels very much last century.

Don't get me wrong, I do not regret the purchase, and I certainly recommend it if you do not want to go full VR, but there is room for improvement.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

User avatar
GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
Posts: 2041
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:59 pm
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC
Contact:

Re: EDTracker Pro Wireless reviewed.

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:48 am

Cometborne wrote:The Velcro pad does not stick well to the headband of my wireless headset and typically comes off the headset when I pull the ED tracker off to attach the USB cable to recharge it, so I need to re-mount it, pull and plug the USB dongle, and at least recentre the view.

I could live with having to recentre the view since the position of the headset is always slightly different. I can probably sort the Velcro issues, which are mostly caused by the headband being too narrow on top. But why do I need to pull and plug the dongle each time? I am afraid that this is going to wear out the contacts on either the dongle or the PC over time. And after two years of a Qi-compatible smartphone, having to fiddle with a charge cable feels very much last century.

Don't get me wrong, I do not regret the purchase, and I certainly recommend it if you do not want to go full VR, but there is room for improvement.


Fair points all. :)

If you want to fixate the tracker to your headset, then maybe mount it with a cable tier, and use a longer USB cable to charge? I had one left over from the wired version; works a treat.

Pull/plug of the dongle does seem odd. Should be a minor coding issue for the dongle to register on the PC at start up?

Reset hot key is necessary as you say.

One thing that bothers me is the little on/off switch on the tracker. Seems very flimsy and is used at every gaming session.

Do you use the in-game Dead zone controls? They made a huge difference for me.

Yeah, I had the Vive, but after the initial immersion wow factor I realised I preferred a more "open" solution that would let me interact with the rest of the family while gaming. :) Plus the resolution and FOV was a disappointment so I sold it again. Will be following future developments closely though. :)
Image


Return to “Hardware and Technical”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

i