Looks like Steam hosed itself ... any way to update outside of Steam?

Community Support for the machines running the game
thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Looks like Steam hosed itself ... any way to update outside of Steam?

Postby thebs » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:28 am

My Steam install refuses to start (or stop) any update downloads. Going off-line and uninstalling the offending update, then going back online does nothing, the next game has issue. It just goes minutes upon minutes without any update ... no disk, network or other activity.

Is there any way to update outside of Steam, for those of us who originally installed via Steam?
Last edited by thebs on Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

thebs
Master
Master

Re: Looks like Steam hosed itself ... any way to update outside of Steam?

Postby thebs » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:33 am

Duh, it's right there in the Launcher ... "Update." Trying now ... does it freeze too? Window is unresponsive after hitting "Upgrade".

Maybe I have an issue with my D: (where Steam is at). No, wait, I have Elite under C: (C:\SteamSSD), separate from D: (D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common), the default location.

This is the first time in the dozen years or so I've been using Steam that I've ever had this happen on any system. I think they are doing something with all the cheater banning going on. Maybe scanning a lot of multiplayer games for mods whenever they are updated. That's the only thing I can think of, based on the disk I/O going on.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:46 am

In the Elite Launcher, I disabled the two (2) Cache options under "Options" and disabled my Anti-Virus (Avast) for 10 minutes. That seems to have fixed it.

Ten (10) minutes left to download.

EDIT: Re-enabled A/V, doesn't appear to be the issue as the Elite Launcher is still syncing files.
Last edited by thebs on Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:12 am

I uninstalled all Valve games in Steam offline mode, then go back to online mode ... and now Steam is working correctly again with the stop/start downloads. Interesting ...

Return to “Hardware and Technical”