Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orochimaruh
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

E:D will not start

Postby Orochimaru » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:53 am

Hello CMRDs

Last night I had a hard disk problem and my Win10 installation entered a crapified state of affairs.
I restored everything into a stable setup, other games play well, steam games are good but E:D refuses to start.

The E:D game launcher takes ages to show the screen and refuses to let me login. When I login, there is an error message saying: "cannot connect to server". Other status messages are returned, pointing my ability to solve the problem to *void.

Has anyone of you CMDRs dealt with a crapification problem like this?
Are you able to play E:D now, or is it just me?

Thanks in advance
Obrigado
o7
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: E:D will not start

Postby JustSomeGuy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:13 am

Are you able to run the 'Validate Game Files' from the launcher options menu?

Edit: I tried and I can login to the game just fine.
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert

Postby Orochimaru » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:32 am

Thanks CMDR.
I will do just that when I get home.

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby JohnLuke » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:46 am

If you can't get the launcher running to validate the game files, you may need to visit FD's website and download a fresh copy of the E-D launcher.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert

Postby Orochimaru » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:49 am

JohnLuke wrote:If you can't get the launcher running to validate the game files, you may need to visit FD's website and download a fresh copy of the E-D launcher.

I see that in new launcher, you can select the beta just released.
Mine is an old version. I might have to do that JohnLuke.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:58 pm

Sounds like corrupted files.

I would wipe the install completely and start from scratch with a new install on the launcher.
But more importantly I would look into getting a new system drive asap.

If it's having issues it's not going to stop. And the next failure might be complete.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert

Postby Orochimaru » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:01 pm

TorTorden wrote:Sounds like corrupted files.

I would wipe the install completely and start from scratch with a new install on the launcher.

If it's having issues it's not going to stop. And the next failure might be complete.

Drive already take care of. No more problems from that, using SSD and Raid0+1.

Next step is getting me back on the cockpit!

Thanks for the suggestion CMDR TorTorden o7

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert

Postby Orochimaru » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:46 pm

Orochimaru wrote:

Problem solved after a clean install! Back in the saddle again...
Thank you CMDRs for your suggestions and support o7

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:39 pm

Orochimaru wrote:

Commodity firmware-Driver (aka Fake) RAID with consumer NAND SSD devices can be troublesome.

This is because they have huge DRAM write buffers (because NAND cell writes, especially 3-bit MLC aka TLC, are slow and error prone as piss, long story). Without enough capacitance, they aren't always flushed, leading to corruptions, if a system freezes or often -- as a result of the RAID abstraction -- the OS powering the hardware off, before the DRAM buffer is committed to the NAND cells.

Most of us who have a lot of embedded experience (including Embedded Windows, and understand how the overlay driver in Embedded NT works) have been warning about this for years. It never gets addressed by Intel-Microsoft, like the Linux kernel does.

_SIDE NOTE: there are some great dislikes of Samsung's EVO/PRO devices by Linux developers for a reason_

Until Intel gets serious about putting NVDRAM on the main board itself, used as the buffer for NAND (and platter for that matter), this will continue. In Intel's defense, the Windows NT kernel is really incapable of doing Device Mapping so you can have the OS use one device to buffer, cache and/or otherwise as backing/store for another.

Hence why, for Windows, I just get a simple 240-256GB (or 480-512GB) NAND device, and a pair of platters in RAID-1. A 192GB C: w/C:\Windows goes on the NAND (384GB w/C:\SteamSSD for larger), and then the RAID-1 platter w/D:\Program Files\Steam.

I then dual boot Linux, using 32GB on the NAND and 0.5TB of the RAID-1 platter, and DD (raw sector copy) the C: drive. That way, I'd Windows self-toasts, I just boot Linux and DD back the last C: drive image.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert

Postby Orochimaru » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:36 pm

thebs wrote:
Orochimaru wrote:

Commodity firmware-Driver (aka Fake) RAID with consumer NAND SSD devices can be troublesome.

This is because they have huge DRAM write buffers (because NAND cell writes, especially 3-bit MLC aka TLC, are slow and error prone as piss, long story). Without enough capacitance, they aren't always flushed, leading to corruptions, if a system freezes or often -- as a result of the RAID abstraction -- the OS powering the hardware off, before the DRAM buffer is committed to the NAND cells.

Most of us who have a lot of embedded experience (including Embedded Windows, and understand how the overlay driver in Embedded NT works) have been warning about this for years. It never gets addressed by Intel-Microsoft, like the Linux kernel does.

_SIDE NOTE: there are some great dislikes of Samsung's EVO/PRO devices by Linux developers for a reason_

Until Intel gets serious about putting NVDRAM on the main board itself, used as the buffer for NAND (and platter for that matter), this will continue. In Intel's defense, the Windows NT kernel is really incapable of doing Device Mapping so you can have the OS use one device to buffer, cache and/or otherwise as backing/store for another.

Hence why, for Windows, I just get a simple 240-256GB (or 480-512GB) NAND device, and a pair of platters in RAID-1. A 192GB C: w/C:\Windows goes on the NAND (384GB w/C:\SteamSSD for larger), and then the RAID-1 platter w/D:\Program Files\Steam.

I then dual boot Linux, using 32GB on the NAND and 0.5TB of the RAID-1 platter, and DD (raw sector copy) the C: drive. That way, I'd Windows self-toasts, I just boot Linux and DD back the last C: drive image.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info CMDR.

I currently use a HAD controller that implements RAID 0+1 and I prefer having less disk space, than using RAID 5. No fake RAID here, plain good old school RAID.

Agree with you on the SSD part. My SSD is used for Windows and Steam. If I loose it, it's ok. I have backups of my save games. No worries there.
On the Linux side, I use the RAID setup.

I agree that my Windows setup has many ways to fail, but it's not my main OS and if it fails, it's ok. Nothing major.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”