Community Support for the machines running the game
thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: E:D will not start

Postby thebs » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:08 am

Orochimaru wrote:I currently use a HAD controller that implements RAID 0+1 and I prefer having less disk space, than using RAID 5.

RAID-5 write performance, depending on the card (or lackthereof) varies. Read performance, on the other hand, is like RAID-0 (minus 1 disk).

Orochimaru wrote:No fake RAID here, plain good old school RAID.

I'm curious what make/model of card?

Orochimaru wrote:Agree with you on the SSD part. My SSD is used for Windows and Steam. If I loose it, it's ok. I have backups of my save games. No worries there.

I find re-installing Windows a PITA. So I like to 'dd' the NAND device's C: drive, with C:\Windows, over to the RAID-1 platterset (or RAID-5 for 3-5 disks, RAID-10 for 4-disks) for quick restores from disk. That's why I keep C: on NAND as small as possible., so I can 'dd' it.

I'll have a small C:\SteamSSD directory as well, like for poorly loading games -- e.g., Fallout 4.

I learned long ago how grossly inefficient Windows Update is (200x over writes), so it's NAND, even though it wears it out faster. That's why I like to use a 480-512GB NAND if at all possible, even if C: is only 192-256GiB.

Orochimaru wrote:Everything else goes on D:

D:, including D:\Program Files\Steam, is on the RAID platterset, so it survives. Saves me re-downloading a lot of binaries too.

Orochimaru wrote:On the Linux side, I use the RAID setup.

I put /boot and /root (1st LVM volume) on the NAND for performance.
On large NAND devices, I also have an /exports/static (bind mounted to /home/static) for static files on the NAND as well (LVM system volume).

SIDE NOTE: For GUID Partition Table (GPT) and native uEFI Storage Boot, this means the first 383MiB (1-384MiB) is EFI System Partition (ESP - Linux mount /boot/efi) and 128MiB (384-512MiB) after that is Microsoft Reserve Partition (for storing hidden sectors). Linux /boot, usually 512MiB (512-1,024MiB), is immediately after that, which rounds out the first 1GiB, followed by C: (usually 191-255GiB, but can be as small as 127GiB), then first LVM (for /root, /export/static, etc...) the rest (rounded the nearest GiB left). Also important to use tools to make a copy of the GPT, as well as backup the ESP (and might as well dd MS Reserved), as the GPT has unique IDs expected by boot.

I then put swap, /tmp, /var, /exports/local (bind mounted to /home/local) and other things (2nd LVM volume) that are more variable on the RAID platterset.

I dump level 0 /boot and /root to the RAID platterset (usually /home/local/dumps) for fast restores as well.

Orochimaru wrote:I agree that my Windows setup has many ways to fail, but it's not my main OS and if it fails, it's ok. Nothing major.

It's just so easy to boot a Linux USB system up. Virtually every distro has a duplicate USB boot from is stock install. Restoring a dd image file of the Windows C:, as well as a Linux dump, back to a new, replacement NAND device.

I'm partial to Fedora LXDE and Lubuntu for Fedora-based and Debian-based, respectively,

But my gaming PC is not my primary computing device. I have a Dell Precision M4700 Workstation Notebook (i7-3840QM, 32GiB RAM, nVidia Quadro 2000M 2GiB, 1xTiB NAND + 2x2TiB+8GB SSHD platter+NAND hybrid drives).
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orochimaruh

Postby Orochimaru » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:01 am

Orochimaru wrote:No fake RAID here, plain good old school RAID.

thebs wrote:I'm curious what make/model of card?

I am using a controller card PCIe from Vantec for RAID0+1, even though it supports plain SATA and other RAID configurations. I like the fast reads you get from RAID 0+1. More info on the Vantec card on the link below. I bought it in Malaysia a couple of years ago; not cheap but it will support my needs for years to come.

https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-4-Channel ... bf221f8854

Your setup is great and I can see your full attention to detail.
Kudos!
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orochimaruh

Postby Orochimaru » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:13 am

Yesterday I had the same problem: E:D launcher too slow to start. Checked and some of the IP addresses used by the launcher were not reachable (using traceroute) and many dropped packets along the way. ISP problem? maybe.

Still I downloaded and installed the E:D launcher directly from Frontier site, to make sure I was using the latest. The game installed in 5 minutes and ... Success! The launcher is back as fast as it used to be.

Something with the steam launcher. I cannot explain what is happening, but using the standalone E:D launcher works better for me.

Still the dropped packets and unreachable IP addresses in AWS can be an ISP problem. To be investigated.
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

Return to “Hardware and Technical”