Rigs! Current and future ones. (Inspired by the Nvidia 1080Ti offtopic thread)

Community Support for the machines running the game
pargyrak
Master
Master
CMDR: pargyrak
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Rigs! Current and future ones. (Inspired by the Nvidia 1080Ti offtopic thread)

Postby pargyrak » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:58 pm

TorTorden wrote:And nvidia has launched a new version of the titan x Pascal.
And colourfully dubbed it the titan Xp.
http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/10series/titan-xp/

A few more cores, slightly faster clock speed, slightly higher memory bandwidth, same price.
So a few bob more than what most have to spend on their entire builds just for the card.

Just spent almost 900 Euros for the 1080 Ti to replace the 980 Ti. The only game I play is Elite and this is super smooth on 4K so unless Frontier decide to upgrade graphics a lot, I think I am going to sit tight till next year...

Titan X, Titan Xp perhaps they are better to be used for password cracking :)
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Re: Rigs! Current and future ones. (Inspired by the Nvidia 1080Ti offtopic thread)

Postby TorTorden » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:13 pm

pargyrak wrote:
TorTorden wrote:And nvidia has launched a new version of the titan x Pascal.
And colourfully dubbed it the titan Xp.
http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/10series/titan-xp/

A few more cores, slightly faster clock speed, slightly higher memory bandwidth, same price.
So a few bob more than what most have to spend on their entire builds just for the card.

Just spent almost 900 Euros for the 1080 Ti to replace the 980 Ti. The only game I play is Elite and this is super smooth on 4K so unless Frontier decide to upgrade graphics a lot, I think I am going to sit tight till next year...

Titan X, Titan Xp perhaps they are better to be used for password cracking :)

Definitely.
If I'm upgrading my 980ti, I'm going for a 1080ti.

I just figured I would mention it.
These new Cuda cores aren't really that needed for gaming, and the clock frequencies for ram etc, only really bring the titan Xp up to a similar level as a factory OC 1080ti.
I would honestly say you would have to be slightly brain dead to buy a titan Xp with its blower style, thermally throttling gpu for gaming.

When you can have a practically similarly performing card with ano out of the box cooler that never exceeds 70c and produces barely 30db when it does.
And is 6-10% faster than the founder 1080ti.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

pargyrak
Master
Master

Postby pargyrak » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:12 pm

According to GPU-Z I get temps of max 72 Celsius and the fan speed is max 50%... Ultra settings on 4K... FPS inside the station dropped to 80-90 with Ultra
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:53 pm

pargyrak wrote:According to GPU-Z I get temps of max 72 Celsius and the fan speed is max 50%... Ultra settings on 4K... FPS inside the station dropped to 80-90 with Ultra

Pardon if I missed it, but whats the rest of your rig ?
Nvm: i found it.
Also that sounds brilliant.
but is it enough for VR????

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

pargyrak
Master
Master

Postby pargyrak » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:07 pm

TorTorden wrote:
pargyrak wrote:According to GPU-Z I get temps of max 72 Celsius and the fan speed is max 50%... Ultra settings on 4K... FPS inside the station dropped to 80-90 with Ultra

Pardon if I missed it, but whats the rest of your rig ?
Nvm: i found it.
Also that sounds brilliant.
but is it enough for VR????

i7-4790/z97/16gb ram and SSDs

Not sure for VR don't have one
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:32 am

I'm pretty much on the same.

I7 4790k 16gb ram but only 1600mhz, and ssd and 980ti.
I got the i7 just last month. And I'm noticing a bit of difference from my original i5 4670k.
I haven't tested 4k yet, cause I only have the TV.
and running uncompressed 4k @ 60 Hz over what would be at the least a 10m long stretch.

Well the cable manufacturers haven't gotten quite that far yet.
Doesn't matter if you get $10 cable or a $3000 one.

But I do have a 3440×1440 that was fine, never dropped below 60-55 at ultra settings, pre i7 that is.

But vr is a strange and horrible beast.
It's not just having to render two seperate viewpoints at 1080×1200 and push 90 fps.
But if one frame is taking too long it will need to ditch it completely and start all over again.
For 2d, if a frame takes 30ms it's pushed on through regardless and hardly anyone is capable of noticing it until you have many more of them.

In VR this feels a bit like a poke in the eye.
And ED could do with a lot more optimising.
Especially combat in resource sites can degrade into something similar to driving fast in the pouring rain, without wipers. As a side effect of spacewarp/reprojection kicking in.

Before getting the i7, I would notice the cpu peak at 80-97% on a few of the cores, the interpolation kicks in, I get only 45fps and it's the biblical floods all over again.
And my gpu wouldn't really break 60%.
After getting the i7, a couple cores peak at around 70%, and I get full use of the gpu at least.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

pargyrak
Master
Master

Postby pargyrak » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:27 am

With the 980 Ti I had dropped on fps inside a station and on terrain even if terrain was set to lower settings. But 4K is quite challenging and I guess VR is too. Not sure if and when I will go to VR, I think it is still early for it
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

Return to “Hardware and Technical”