Rigs! Current and future ones. (Inspired by the Nvidia 1080Ti offtopic thread)

Community Support for the machines running the game
pargyrak
Master
Master
CMDR: pargyrak
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Rigs! Current and future ones. (Inspired by the Nvidia 1080Ti offtopic thread)

Postby pargyrak » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:34 am

Time to be on topic :)

TorTorden wrote:
pargyrak wrote:
TorTorden wrote:Well, they're not in stock, still pre order for when stock come in at the end of the month, start of april, which also happens to coincide with my birthday...

I think I will wait a bit more for some other implementations to arrive (other than the founders)...
Baby will need a bed ....

Yeah I'm not looking at a FE, but the https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/ROG ... 1G-GAMING/

From a review it runs cooler, quieter and when temps go below 55c the fans shut off completely.
The extra hdmi port is good, I can keep the vive plugged in for instance.
And I quite like the case fan control points that are matched to the gpu fan controller.

So I can install a case side fan (something I need for the 980ti to get decent cooling) and it will stop running or ramp up as the gpu needs more air.

I am drooling over the Asus too, also to accompany it with an Asus Z2170 mobo an i7-7700 and 32gigs...
But for now I will stick just to replace the 980Ti. If my older son decide to play Elite I will give him my current rig (Z97 i7-4790) and get the upgrade.

Walter wrote:I went for the ROG Strix GeForce® GTX 1080 OC edition 8GB. In SC on my 1080p screen it runs at 67C at 340ish FPS. Frame rate only drops below 100 in the Galaxy Map, but everything is turned up to max.

When not running ED it settles down to 54C.

This one is available where I live but I am afraid to go for it as I am running on a 4K monitor and the current MSI Lightning 980Ti starts screaming (ok the fans do) as soon as Elite loads
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Re: Rigs! Current and future ones. (Inspired by the Nvidia 1080Ti offtopic thread)

Postby TorTorden » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:53 am

Yeah but that's still just a 1080.
Its the performance of the 1080 ti that's tempting me, which is a slightly down scaled titan.

And the ti performs as good as the titan x. And even this oc, non fe cooler version is 450$ CHEAPER.

Sure the current 1080 is seriously good still and now available for a great deal.
But with vr we want as much performance as we can possible get, and then some.

But being on a 980ti, the performance leap is quite tantalising.
And then we get reviews like this.

http://www.roadtovr.com/nvidia-gtx-1080 ... ampling/3/

Existing owners of a GTX 980ti face the proposition of gaining up to and beyond a 100% uplift in standard gaming performance should they upgrade to the 1080ti. But the 1080ti also offers up tantalising and tangible experiential benefits for virtual reality enthusiasts.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

pargyrak
Master
Master

Re: Rigs! Current and future ones. (Inspired by the Nvidia 1080Ti offtopic thread)

Postby pargyrak » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:15 am

Aaaargh they brought the MSI 1080Ti Founders edition in a local store.... I must resist....
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

Smurfenstein
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Smurfenstein

Postby Smurfenstein » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:11 pm

I'm getting the 1080ti when they make it with watercooling, like this one https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1080-SEA-HAWK-X.html#hero-overview

pargyrak
Master
Master

Postby pargyrak » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:48 pm

Kid is asleep.... Going to pick up a grown up toy...

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/ROG ... 1G-GAMING/

:) Poor credit card
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

Kiltrathi
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Kiltrathi

Postby Kiltrathi » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:55 pm

Current rig:
AMD-955, 8GB 1333 RAM, Sapphire 6850-1GB on 1240x1080 screen.

We're saving up for a new PC later this year (probably around Christmas). My wife is addicted to Stardew Valley and it's getting to the point I'm getting Elite-withdrawl.
I have my eye on a FX-8370, 16GB 1600 RAM, Sapphire 480-8GB on 1920x1080 screen.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:08 pm

pargyrak wrote:Kid is asleep.... Going to pick up a grown up toy...

THAT.......My dear friend looks fecking awesome......

*Notes card*

If I'm gonna go balls to the wall with a build I think I might specify that one to go with the ROG crossfire mobo.....

Nice one......

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

pargyrak
Master
Master

Postby pargyrak » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:39 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:
pargyrak wrote:Kid is asleep.... Going to pick up a grown up toy...

THAT.......My dear friend looks fecking awesome......

*Notes card*

If I'm gonna go balls to the wall with a build I think I might specify that one to go with the ROG crossfire mobo.....

Nice one......

Thanks mate!

I must be super dad. Managed to go to the mall, in the middle of the rush hour, find a parking spot, buy the card, get back home in time for feeding (kiddo eats better in my arms than his mothers), fed the kid, installed the card, installed the latest driver, and now fired up Elite before dinner.

Just for comparison, without any changes to settings from 55-70 fps inside a station, now up to 110-130 fps. (Previous card MSI Lightning 980 Ti)

Now I set everything to Ultra/High 108-118fps

4K screen with an additional FHD one

Optimization pending...

Big smile :)
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:11 pm

Kiltrathi wrote:Current rig:
AMD-955, 8GB 1333 RAM, Sapphire 6850-1GB on 1240x1080 screen.

We're saving up for a new PC later this year (probably around Christmas). My wife is addicted to Stardew Valley and it's getting to the point I'm getting Elite-withdrawl.
I have my eye on a FX-8370, 16GB 1600 RAM, Sapphire 480-8GB on 1920x1080 screen.

I wouldn't.

That's a pre ryzen cpu, and the only pre ryzen cpu I would consider from Amd would probably be the x2.

I would at least go for a ryzen 1700, or even an old i5 would beat this cpu in most real world tasks.
Nvidia is about to release their next run of the optimised Pascal, but as always Amd is starting to market their Vega, which by most guesses to be launched as their 500 series, right around summer time I'm guessing.

Anyhoo, as always, I wouldn't make a shopping list now if you need to wait till Christmas time.
Amd is looking to have a big summer with more ryzen cpu's (the reasonably priced range is coming and new gpu's launching all this summerand towards Christmas most likely.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:33 pm

And nvidia has launched a new version of the titan x Pascal.
And colourfully dubbed it the titan Xp.
http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/10series/titan-xp/

A few more cores, slightly faster clock speed, slightly higher memory bandwidth, same price.
So a few bob more than what most have to spend on their entire builds just for the card.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”