Community Support for the machines running the game
de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

IPv6 and BT for 2.3 Beta testing

Postby de Carabas » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:39 pm

For those that havn't seen it there will be some testing of IPv6 in the 2.3 Beta https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... v6-Support
The hope is that by cutting out all that nasty NAT stuff, that could be impacting the peer-to-peer networking that E: D is built on, we see an improvement in all around connectivity.

I've been trying to get IPv6 running on my BT line in the UK to be ready for testing and having no luck. My router is ready but it turns out that despite BT claiming to be fully IPv6 enabled since the back-end of last year there are still areas of the country where you can not get allocated IPv6 addresses, or that IPv6 connectivity will experience drop-outs. There is no useful way of reporting this to BT, the helpdesk have not got a clue how to deal with it and there's no diagnostic's available for you to check if the line 'should' support IPv6 or if the issue is with your router. :?

So just posting this for any other BT customers out there for visibility. Good luck.
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: IPv6 and BT for 2.3 Beta testing

Postby evovi » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:49 pm

The bt help desk is manned by "Michael" from India - who can't deviate from his flow chart and when he try's to he can't understand what's going on due to language barriers

charlie2alpha
Expert
Expert
CMDR: charlie2alpha

Postby charlie2alpha » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:58 pm

Typical outsourcing to cut costs, and then they wonder why the latest developments around the world are like they are. But this is not a political forum.

Back on the subject, I have IPv6 enabled and working correctly for years now in my home. But, my router also has an IPv6 firewall which means no incoming connections will ever work unless I allow it. I hope FD will have some way to configure which port will be used, I'm not going to expose my desktop PC completely just for the sake of a game.

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:18 pm

Just tried BT support chat again. They suggested I take out a subscription with their Tech Expert service (£8 a month) and I pointed out that I don't need general PC advice I want an engineer to confirm my connectivity.
I got a phone number to try instead, which I'll try calling later when free.
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria

IPv6 and BT for 2.3 Beta testing

Postby evovi » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:24 pm

Virgin media are a little more switched on regards there own capability, roll out is due this year but IPv4 is too deeply routed to just overnight migrate to IPv6 my router supports it but my home network is IPv4

It will be years of side by side running the two standards before it can the norm

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:00 pm

So, phoned the BT number I was given and was told that IPv6 is for business customers only and not residential. :roll:
They don't know their arse from their elbow.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:01 pm

Despite the US having the biggest allocation of IPv4, all providers have gone IPv6 as well. Now there's a lot of 'checkbox' IPv6 providers, meaning it doesn't work end-to-end. But it's there, dual-stack, via my provider, which is nice to see.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:11 pm

de Carabas wrote:So, phoned the BT number I was given and was told that IPv6 is for business customers only and not residential. :roll:

With the justification that they are afraid to run out of IPs? :evil:
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:56 am

To close an old loop - BT made changes following an escalation on the BT community forum by one of the mods there. The relevant kit was kicked and IPv6 now works for me, no changes needed to be made on my end.

Bloody BT.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:42 pm

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Return to “Hardware and Technical”