Community Support for the machines running the game
Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: GPU reccomendations?

Postby Loriath » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:06 am

Taranava wrote:I'm not a fan of Radeon after years of putting up with one in my previous gaming laptop. So I'd echo those who mentioned a 1050 GTX if you are on a budget but if you can stretch it a bit, get a 1060 or better. I did find a review for the Palit cards which seem to be budget minded.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/graphics-cards/palit-geforce-gtx-1050-stormx-2gb-review-3652839/

If your going to consider the 1050, go the Ti version for an extra 2GB ram. 4GB is perfect, and it most cases it's only $20 more.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

GreenDemon
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: GreenDemon
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby GreenDemon » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:40 am

If I were in your shoes pal, I think I would first try the 970 in another PC, just to be sure it's not something else causing the issue.
If you do need a new card, then AMD has certainly come a long way with their new Crimson software if you're on a budget.
I have an older R9 390x and it's superb with the latest software from AMD. I have to admit though if it wasn't for the latest software, I'd have probably switched to Nvidia by now, as it was diabolical before.

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Postby smartroad » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:13 am

I would suggest the same as GreenDemon and to also check your PSU. I once replaced a CPU, mobo and RAM because I thought the processor was dying. Turns out it was the 12V line feeding the CPU that was the issue. Cost me £360 to find out I needed to only replace the £50 power supply, got a sweet machine out of it though LOL
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:24 am

Yeah it definitely sounds like something is wrong, hardware wrong.

So unless its a used-new-to-you card you should have at least 8 months of manufacturer warranty.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria

Postby evovi » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:17 am

Did you apply for the pitiful refund from nvidia for the missing memory allocation? Regardless a faulty card is covered under consumer law unless they prove misuse - was it stock clocked or tweaked?

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:37 pm

Did you try another PS? Current loss on the +12V rails is notorious for undervolting and resulting brown outs -- -- loss of portions of the card due to the voltage regulator pick'n and choosing which lines drop, like VRAM banks.

Contact your GPU vendor's warranty team? Did you check it's terms?

As far as new cards, the GTX 1060 performs like a GTX 970, at a reduced power/thermal report. The GTX 1070 is like a GTX 980 Ti at the same power/thermal report as a GTX 970.

Sent from my FRD-L04 (Honor 8 Sapphire) phone. Please excuse my brevity, grammatical mistakes and the satanic versus of autocorrect.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Quartz
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Quartz Christie

Postby Quartz » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:02 pm

Loriath wrote:
Taranava wrote:I'm not a fan of Radeon after years of putting up with one in my previous gaming laptop. So I'd echo those who mentioned a 1050 GTX if you are on a budget but if you can stretch it a bit, get a 1060 or better. I did find a review for the Palit cards which seem to be budget minded.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/graphics-cards/palit-geforce-gtx-1050-stormx-2gb-review-3652839/

If your going to consider the 1050, go the Ti version for an extra 2GB ram. 4GB is perfect, and it most cases it's only $20 more.

If dude was having issues with "out of memory" on his/her 970, getting yet another 4GB card is pointless. I strongly recommend getting the RX480 though. 8GB version costs less slightly less/about the same as 1060 6GB and performance is the same or better in some cases.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:49 pm

Quartz wrote:
Loriath wrote:

If dude was having issues with "out of memory" on his/her 970, getting yet another 4GB card is pointless. I strongly recommend getting the RX480 though. 8GB version costs less slightly less/about the same as 1060 6GB and performance is the same or better in some cases.

It's not he doesn't have enough RAM, running out of memory doesn't cause crashes unless you have really bad software/drivers. What you do get is lower fps since you start having to fetch assets from slower storage mediums.
I was running elite and many other games fine on a 2gb card, I only went below 40fps in some busy places when I went from a 1080p to an ultra wide 1440p.

Now if you get error messages like this is you hit bad ram or are having PSU issues causing hardware issues.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Cmdr Chemtrail
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Brassik

Postby Cmdr Chemtrail » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:02 pm

Seeing as the card is not old and shouldn't really be defect (you paid big bucks for it) I'd go recheck your card and make sure everything is sitting correctly. If the card have two power connectors,are they both connected correctly.
It could also be your psu calling it a day.
If you have an old PSU or GPU laying around swap them over.
Even better if you have a gaming friend nearby try your card in their pc.

Could save you a good few £££'s if its something simple

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:54 am

TorTorden wrote:
Quartz wrote:
Loriath wrote:

It's not he doesn't have enough RAM, running out of memory doesn't cause crashes unless you have really bad software/drivers. What you do get is lower fps since you start having to fetch assets from slower storage mediums.
I was running elite and many other games fine on a 2gb card, I only went below 40fps in some busy places when I went from a 1080p to an ultra wide 1440p.

Now if you get error messages like this is you hit bad ram or are having PSU issues causing hardware issues.

The more features enabled, the more buffer and texture is required. At some point, with inadequate on-card, dual-port VRAM, the more system memory is then used for textures, and that's where things can go south.

I wouldn't recommend 2GiB RAM with Horizons. I used to run 1080p on a 2GiB GDDR5 and it was fine for Elite, but started having issues with the textures required with Horizons. I would recommend 6GiB RAM today for Horizons, especially at 1440p.

BTW, beyond aliasing, which definitely eats VRAM, another way to reduce textures, and improve performance, is to turn shadowing down. It has the most impact as it is done after other objects and their textures, have been rendered.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Return to “Hardware and Technical”