Brought an Alienware 13 (2017)

Community Support for the machines running the game
smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Brought an Alienware 13 (2017)

Postby smartroad » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:49 pm

This morning I put in an order for an Alienware 13 laptop, so that I can game while I an away from home with work :D

Aside from the GFX (being a 1060) it is theoretically more powerful then my desktop machine LOL Maybe the eGFX will be brought later for my 1080 to go in while at home haha

First expensive laptop I have brought since my first laptop, which was a 14" Pentium 120 MHz (yes young people we used to measure CPU speeds 1000 times slower than today LOL)
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

pargyrak
Master
Master
CMDR: pargyrak
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Brought an Alienware 13 (2017)

Postby pargyrak » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:17 pm

That is a nice beast.... I did the same last year with the XPS 15 and a 960, I even got a Cyborg joystick only to play once....

Hope you are going to use it more and enjoy :)
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:27 pm

smartroad wrote:This morning I put in an order for an Alienware 13 laptop, so that I can game while I an away from home with work :D

Aside from the GFX (being a 1060) it is theoretically more powerful then my desktop machine LOL Maybe the eGFX will be brought later for my 1080 to go in while at home haha

First expensive laptop I have brought since my first laptop, which was a 14" Pentium 120 MHz (yes young people we used to measure CPU speeds 1000 times slower than today LOL)

I still remember my 486 sx2 @ 66mhz
When the pentium chips broke the 100mhz stock frequency it was huge ;)

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:33 pm

386 DX40 anyone? Desqview? Qemm? Sidekick? V.Fast? Apple IIc? Tandy Model 100? IBM Selectype 100? Papya or rice paper? Quills? Slapping paint on the cave walls with our bare hands?

God I'm old...
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

pargyrak
Master
Master

Postby pargyrak » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:02 pm

My first PC was with a 386DX 40 desqview and qemm (running Frontdoor and remote access bbs). But this was after Atari STe which was after Amstrad CPC 6128 which was after ZX Spectrium plus which was after ZX 81.

Feel better about being old Loriath? :)
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

IronDuke
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Iron Duke

Postby IronDuke » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:56 am

I still remember my faithful old IBM XT Clone (Laser XT). It ran at a whopping 4MHz with a turbo button switch to get it to 10 MHz. Did all my early development work on it. Built like a tank and weighed just as much :D
Distant Worlds Expedition 3302 | 65000 LY From SOL Club

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Postby smartroad » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:05 am

My first computer was the BBC Micro (Model B - we didn't want the pauper Model A haha), which was what about 2MHz? Then I went on to the Amiga 1200 (14MHz), which was an amazing sight to go from a text based machine with only 8 colours to a GUI enabled machine with a palette of 256 (I weep that kids of today will never have that quantum leap feeling that I got back then). Then I went on to a 486SX25 (possibly the second worst machine I ever owned, wish I had pushed Dad to go for the DX but the internet didn't exist!). I 'upgraded' that to a Cyrix P120+ custom build and my current desktop can trace its roots back to that machine! I say 'upgraded' as anyone who knows the Cyrix (and I didn't at the time) is aware that it didn't have a real floating point unit and used its insanely fast integer calculations to emulate one. Unfortunately it wasn't actually any good. The name, if I remember, was because they claimed it was as good as the Pentium 120MHz, which it was, as long as you only needed to use whole numbers. Which again was fine, but this was the beginning of first person shooters (a small game called Doom...) which needed fast floating point calculations.

I miss those days of the early home computers. There was so much choice and innovation, everything was new and different. Now it is just iterations of previous designs. Maybe except for AMD with Ryzen but then they are more just catching up with Intel's designs. The Raspberry Pi makes me feel a little like I did back then but still not the same LOL Gawd, I am getting old...
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:31 am

To think I used to run a multi-line BBS under Desqview while playing Doom.... And my iPhone 6 would smoke that machine.

That Alienware looks nice, but I still would never buy a laptop with hope of gaming (Unless I was Bill Gates Rich and could empty out my chair cushions for 20K :P ). The heat would be my worry. But as we have established, I am old.

I have a Acer Aspire One D-250 here. If the screen was larger (Old=Bad Eyes) I would use it more. I have Lubuntu on it and love it. And I am seriously looking at getting a few Raspberry Pi's to do things as well.

My Dream laptop would be a 17" screen (Full HD or Better) but with the rest being equal to a Macbook Air. And for a Tablet, I want a 12-15" that I can run whatever I want on it. Linux/MacOS/Win.... I can dream, right?
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

pargyrak
Master
Master

Postby pargyrak » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:31 am

Loriath wrote:To think I used to run a multi-line BBS under Desqview while playing Doom....

Fidonet?

2:410/9
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:10 am

pargyrak wrote:
Loriath wrote:To think I used to run a multi-line BBS under Desqview while playing Doom....

Fidonet?

2:410/9

Yep. Zone 1. Can't remember the rest (I can but if I post it, then someone out there that was once on it will contact me about something that happened almost 30 years ago to complain, which is why I don't do facebook :P )
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

Return to “Hardware and Technical”