Community Support for the machines running the game
Taranava
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Taranava
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Saitek X-56 Rhino

Postby Taranava » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:43 pm

I'm looking at an upgrade to my HOTAS setup and am likely getting an X-56. Does anyone have this particular one? If so, what are your thoughts on the setup and use with Elite: Dangerous? Any caveats?

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Saitek X-56 Rhino

Postby Xebeth » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:01 pm

I have one, which I got as a warranty replacement when my X-55 died.

It works very well with ED, it has enough buttons, hats, switches, etc to mean you'll rarely ever need to touch the keyboard.

The little joystick thingy on the throttle works really well for thrusters (although the one on the stick I find somewhat pointless), and so far the main stick has remained accurate.

The software that come with it works well enough and you can create macros for any of the buttons or switches (for example I have a switch set to request docking).

But, the build quality (of mine at least) is no better that the X-55, which were notoriously poor, and already after just a couple of months one of the buttons on the back of the throttle has lost its springiness, it still works fine just doesn't pop all the way out when released, also the yaw on the stick has an annoying creak (something the X-55 also had).

Many people find the throttle too stiff, although mine is fine, I know my X-55 took ages to loosen up. But the main issue with the X-55 and the X-56 (until if or when Logitech change it) is that the wires in the throttle break after sometime (it can be a couple of months or a couple of years) and the buttons on the throttle stop working, this is what happened with my X-55.

Another issue that some people find is the size of the stick, if you have small hands it can be difficult to comfortably reach the hats, it has been improved a little on the X-56 with the addition of a pad that clips onto the hand rest, but could still be an issue for some.

Overall however I like the X-56 (I liked the X-55 as well) and find it great for ED, you have complete freedom to set it up as you see fit, all of the axes can have their curves customised to change sensitivity, and the vast array of switched, buttons, etc makes it a full control system, it's just unfortunately let down by the poor build quality.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

hawkpilot
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Hawkpilot

Postby hawkpilot » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:46 pm

I had the X-55 and ditched it; terrible quality, stuck buttons on the back of the throttle. Saitek was a big disappointment for me. Replaced it with a CH Products Throttle Pro & a Thrustmaster T.16000m.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:01 pm

Another thread regarding the X-56 with lots of good information:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5038
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Taranava
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Taranava

Postby Taranava » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:23 am

Thanks for the input everyone! My hands are on the small side so that does factor in a bit as to whether or not this would be a comfortable fit as well as the build quality issues mentioned. Oh now this girl has some doubts. I guess I'll have some thinking to do but that's okay too since it's on back order at the nearest retailer.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:31 am

BTW, the X-52 Pro has an adjustable hand rest on the right stick so you can adjust for different size hands. I raised it up a bit, and it's made reaching the hats and buttons very comfortable for me. I tried a buddy's X 55 and found it to be a stretch to reach a lot of the controls on both sticks, where I can get to everything on the X-52 Pro easily. Of course I've been using the X-52 for 2 years, so there's a lot of muscle memory involved as well.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:16 am

Yea It has been said many times in many reviews that the X-55 and 56 do not favour smallish hands.....

As JL has just said it makes reaching some of the buttons a literal pain........

For an exceptional rant search for a guy named ralfidude on you tube.....

He knows what he is talking about...He is a great DCS A-10c pilot

*Hold on*

https://youtu.be/hY0mTd0SOLg

I personally after reading and watching a crap load of reviews would not go near another Saitek/Mad Catz/ Logitech HOTAS in it's current form.....

Hopefully Logitech might be able to turn it around.....

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:11 pm

I got 3 (three!) X-55 replaced under warranty, and the last one was replaced with a X-56 that failed after one month or so. So I bought a Thrustmaster Warthog and swore I’ll never again use a Saitek product.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Lanceor
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Lanceor

Postby Lanceor » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:12 am

No experience with the X-56, but plenty of experience with the X-55.

My #1 piece of advice on Saitek flight sticks: don't buy it online. Instead, buy it from a bricks and mortar store near you as you will almost certainly need to return it for warranty repair/replacement, possibly multiple times.
Very little game time, but often chatting at work.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:11 pm

Flip wrote:I got 3 (three!) X-55 replaced under warranty, and the last one was replaced with a X-56 that failed after one month or so. So I bought a Thrustmaster Warthog and swore I’ll never again use a Saitek product.

And my dear old onion seller.....What are your views on the Warthog ??

I am trying to bully Dawg into getting one....

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Return to “Hardware and Technical”