Community Support for the machines running the game
Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Vive graphics settings

Postby Loriath » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:01 pm

*Al* wrote:Trouble setting mine up with my Imac (anyone any experience of this please).

Couple of hours trying and I am now going Zen on it.

Mac is not supported Hardware for the Rift or Vive.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

*Al*
Master
Master
CMDR: *Al*
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby *Al* » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:10 pm

Loriath wrote:
*Al* wrote:Trouble setting mine up with my Imac (anyone any experience of this please).

Couple of hours trying and I am now going Zen on it.

Mac is not supported Hardware for the Rift or Vive.

Sorry I should have said 'bootcamped'.
Passed the test although suggested a graphics card upgrade, so intention is/was to try out then sell Mac and go PC.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:27 pm

Oculus even far enough to say they would support mac.
But they would have to sell a decent computer first.

The truth is, current gen mac's doesnt have the GPU to handle VR, even at minimum settings so no point in supporting it.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

*Al*
Master
Master
CMDR: *Al*

Postby *Al* » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:32 am

TorTorden wrote:Oculus even far enough to say they would support mac.

The truth is, current gen mac's doesnt have the GPU to handle VR, even at minimum settings so no point in supporting it.

Thanks Tor (and Lori).

What GPU (buying PC) would you recommend? 1080?

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:04 am

*Al* wrote:
TorTorden wrote:Oculus even far enough to say they would support mac.

Thanks Tor (and Lori).

What GPU (buying PC) would you recommend? 1080?

Honestly, the ones released mid year of 2018.
A 1070 should do rather well, and should be comparable to a 980ti in performance and I love VR with this thing still.
I can't crank setttings to max if I want reliable fps in all situations and software still has a lot of improvements to go so even 900 series gets better and better.

If you are absolutely doesn't care about things like power consumption or heat, I'm sure you can find a decent used 980ti somewhere, but I would probably recommend the 1070 right now, since honestly not even the Titan Pascal can do VR at ultra settings, (probably VR ultra, but that's more like regular high settings)

I'm currently attempting to be frugal and sticking with my 980ti, I'm not paying 900$ for a 25% increase in performance. I'm holding out for at least one more generation, so I get at least a 50-60% increase.

Also from most rumors the 1080ti should launch sometime early next year, like mid January.
Should be a step between the the titan and 1080.
And past behaviour has been that once a ti unit drops, so does the prices on the regular model.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:43 pm

I finally got round to doing some messing with the Rift settings and went in completely blind (so to speak!). I found that turning up HMD quality is superior to turning up supersampling. I haven't done extensive testing but I found text much clearer on VR High with Supersampling at 1.0 and HMD quality at 1.25.
It did lock me at 45fps in station so ASW was kicking in. Next I'm going to try turning down SS very low and HMD up very high (as GlobusDiablo suggested). Then I'm going to do it all again in a High RES which should really give the old card a workout.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:37 pm

RD-83 wrote:I finally got round to doing some messing with the Rift settings and went in completely blind (so to speak!). I found that turning up HMD quality is superior to turning up supersampling. I haven't done extensive testing but I found text much clearer on VR High with Supersampling at 1.0 and HMD quality at 1.25.
It did lock me at 45fps in station so ASW was kicking in. Next I'm going to try turning down SS very low and HMD up very high (as GlobusDiablo suggested). Then I'm going to do it all again in a High RES which should really give the old card a workout.

Good luck Commander. Opinions vary and I've read Rift users use other settings. But yeah, I just double checked my Vive, and text is much clearer with high HMD quality than with high SS. Though it's still not clear enough... I don't mind blurry graphics so much, but reading text really shouldn't be a chore.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”