Community Support for the machines running the game
TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Vive owners! (and steamvr in general)

Postby TorTorden » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:03 pm

Just mentioning this here, that steamvr is implementing Asynchronous reprojection in their beta.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820 ... 8909298226

It's getting good reviews
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... dback-here!

And like oculus ASW, it's pretty much the same thing really, and so yes you need the appropriate drivers, nvidia 372,xx I believe and windows 8.1 or newer. Also not sure if this like with oculus at all works on AMD cards.

I haven't tested yet but if this gives similar impact as ASW does for the rift then it is an early Christmas ineed.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Vive owners! (and steamvr in general)

Postby TorTorden » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:04 pm

Just tested some, and yes it is an improvement.
But not huge huge from what I remember.
I had to dial down a bit from my rift settings and it never left 45fps ever. Not even in empty space.

That said it was perfectly readable, and perfectly playable.

But,, the elefant or should I say the oculus in the room still gets a fair bit more performance at higher settings.
If I was going to decsribe it, it's about the same as the difference was before, just a lot better across the board.

I would like to mention one thing though, and it seems now although the vive might seem a touch blurrier with the vive, there is more obvious artefacting going on with the rift.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:53 pm

TorTorden wrote:...But,, the elefant or should I say the oculus in the room still gets a fair bit more performance at higher settings.
If I was going to decsribe it, it's about the same as the difference was before, just a lot better across the board...

Cheers for bringing this here TT.

I gather from your post that you have both HMDs?

For some reason I'm intent on the Vive (really can't say why), but the poor reviews in E: D have kept me from splashing yet.

So you would say that E: D is now fully enjoyable with the Vive (bar the performance hit)?

I'm considering it as a Christmas gift for myself, but I'm also curious to see if the Sony VR makes it to PC via mods (or Sony for that matter).

Fly safe

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:06 pm

Yeah I have double dipped :)

It's a bit tough to call.
Absolutely it is enjoyable in the vive before this, and this helps even more.

But the performance difference between the rift and the vive remain huge in ED and other more generic titles, like project carrs and Drift (from what I gather at least) and you can get a rift, if you drop the motion controllers, for about 200 euro less than a Vive.

With the rift, I can almost go high to ultra on graphics and almost reach 90fps, even on surface.
ASW does kick in now, but in the vive I have to set quality to medium or below, and it never goes over the 45fps mark.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:34 pm

TorTorden wrote:Yeah I have double dipped :)

But the performance difference between the rift and the vive remain huge in ED and other more generic titles, like project carrs and Drift (from what I gather at least) and you can get a rift, if you drop the motion controllers, for about 200 euro less than a Vive.

With the rift, I can almost go high to ultra on graphics and almost reach 90fps, even on surface.
ASW does kick in now, but in the vive I have to set quality to medium or below, and it never goes over the 45fps mark.

But from what I read the Vive has better colours and a larger FOV, lessening the "scuba" effect right?

Which do you wear when playing E: D?

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:48 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:
TorTorden wrote:Yeah I have double dipped :)

But from what I read the Vive has better colours and a larger FOV, lessening the "scuba" effect right?

Which do you wear when playing E: D?

Scuba effect is about the same, also ED doesn't really get scale right in the vive so most things seem a bit smaller in it.

Although this seemed a lot better now.

Fov is a little bigger yes, but nothing huge.
Colour are definitely better in the vive that's a clear win for it.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:54 pm

TorTorden wrote:
GlobusDiablo wrote:...Which do you wear when playing E: D?

Scuba effect is about the same, also ED doesn't really get scale right in the vive so most things seem a bit smaller in it.

So which do you prefer for E: D? ;)

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:55 pm

I just read a bit about ASW and now have a headache :D
When I use my Rift, I get buttery smooth 90fps all the time when playing ED even in Ultra, or VR High.

So my questions:
Is ASW mainly for lower end cards that struggle? (see above, my gtx 980 copes fine)
I thought the magic number for VR was 90fps, how does locking it to 45 help?
Does my Rift just do this?

Cheers.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:49 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:
TorTorden wrote:
GlobusDiablo wrote:...Which do you wear when playing E: D?

So which do you prefer for E: D? ;)

Sadly, the vive has been unplugged for the last few months :|
On one, VIve and room play is the REAL VR, rift and seated\standing play is a close second.
Problem is you need space, and who has a 9m^2 area or more with no furniture or anything to dedicate for this?

RD-83 wrote:I just read a bit about ASW and now have a headache :D
When I use my Rift, I get buttery smooth 90fps all the time when playing ED even in Ultra, or VR High.

So my questions:
Is ASW mainly for lower end cards that struggle? (see above, my gtx 980 copes fine)
I thought the magic number for VR was 90fps, how does locking it to 45 help?
Does my Rift just do this?

Cheers.

I have a 980ti, and there is no way you can run stable at 90fps on ultra settings.
Maybe a pascal titan could, that said I hardly notice it really when I drop in fps with these things.

It will come with oculus version 2.0 (they are still tweaking), as for now you need to enable it via manually setting it in the windows registery.

I can't really understand the minutia of this either, but it frees headroom on the GPU so it gets a steady, responsive stream of images and interpolates one image between each genuine frame, and this apparently misses less frames or something than just rendering what they can.

The how to I used for my rift is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... w_through/

I tried running ultra settings on my rift after enabling this, but after a few minutes fighting in a RES, it would become a wicked wobbly mess. So I rather settled to scale a bit down on the graphics quality, and honestly you barely notice.

Also disable bloom, if you hit the limiter it will cause massive strobing, seems that only comes through on the genuine frames or something.

Anyhoo, both HMD's are very early tech (regardless of devkits).
And I think we would need something like a geforce 3080 to fully utilise the first generation of VR headsets, let alone the next generation.
So honestly I can recommend anyone to get VR..

(but it's really, really awesome. And there is no way I can go back to a measly 34" ultra wide now, at least for Elite)

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:16 pm

I've never actually checked if it defaulted to VR High when its in use, but I guessed it did.
I dont actually use mine all that often tbh, just laziness really but I do love a good combat session with it on.

Thanks for the guide but I'm not going to mess with the registry because with the luck I'm having with technology at the minute, something will break :roll: Plus, I'm on Windows 10 and we all know how fragile that is! I'll wait for the official update.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”