JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Load Times

Postby JustSomeGuy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:58 am

thebs wrote:
JustSomeGuy wrote:Anyway, currently I do have \windows and both \program files folders on C: but I do have most games installed elsewhere in custom folders. Like Elite for example, that is run from a traditional HDD and has no program files folder in it's path. Steam games are also on the same drive with Elite, but those are handled by Steam itself, and the steam app itself is in one of the program files folders, likely the x86 one.

Which means you have a \program files folder on a drive other than the C: drive, correct? That's the bug with Anniversary Edition. ;)

JustSomeGuy wrote:I hope these kind of installs are fine and won't make Windows stumble on its own feet.

Again, I must be confusing you. The problem is having program files on anything but the same drive as Windows.

Well I do have programs (games) installed on F: drive, but their paths are like F:\Frontier, F:\World_of_Warships and so on, so there is no actual "Program Files" folder anywhere else than on C:. So these are also problematic? Everything installed elsewhere than on C: despite not having the 'Program Files' folder in the path?

The reason why I'm not that worried about Steam is that the Steam app itself is installed in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam' while the datafiles of games it can launch are on F:\Steam\steamapps and that path is only told to the Steam app itself. So I assume Windows thinks all Steam games are run from 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam' and not from F:\Steam\steamapps.
I might be wrong of course, would not be the first time. Assuming things has always been dangerous. :)
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Load Times

Postby thebs » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:17 pm

JustSomeGuy wrote:Well I do have programs (games) installed on F: drive, but their paths are like F:\Frontier, F:\World_of_Warships and so on, so there is no actual "Program Files" folder anywhere else than on C:. So these are also problematic? Everything installed elsewhere than on C: despite not having the 'Program Files' folder in the path?

I think it's still an issue in Anniversary Edition if any programs launch from any drive other than C:. But don't quote me. Most people who have applications installed on other drives than C: usually have a \Program Files or \Program Files (x86) in addition to other locations.

IIRC, technically I think this has a lot to do with NT's Prefetch, which goes 'full schizo' because it expects all prefetch to be from C: drives. I don't want to get too more technical because A) I haven't confirmed everything and B) I don't want to bore you if I'm mistaken.

Also, Windows (unlike POSIX -- aka UNIX/Linux) programs have a "start directory." In other words, you have to have a "start directory" when you launch a program, and usually its the same directory as where the executable is at. Many games break if it's not. That could also be the case.

JustSomeGuy wrote:The reason why I'm not that worried about Steam is that the Steam app itself is installed in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam' while the datafiles of games it can launch are on F:\Steam\steamapps and that path is only told to the Steam app itself. So I assume Windows thinks all Steam games are run from 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam' and not from F:\Steam\steamapps.
I might be wrong of course, would not be the first time. Assuming things has always been dangerous. :)

Again, I honestly don't know for sure. But if Prefetch is involved, it might not matter where, just that it expects it on the C: drive. Disabling Prefetch might fix it, and it will also make things much slower in launching and loading too.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Return to “Hardware and Technical”