Are there any Steam Big Picture Mode users here?

Community Support for the machines running the game
Morgan Bateson
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Morgan Bateson
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Are there any Steam Big Picture Mode users here?

Postby Morgan Bateson » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:20 pm

If anyone uses Big Picture Mode (with NVidia?) and experienced this error:
D3D Device was removed due to DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Please either follow this thread or if you have any solution to the problem, let me know !

So far I've tried everything you would normally do. But I'll include them just in case anyone helping out asks me something I've already done.

- Clean uninstall NVidia drivers (using 3dGuru.com) and verified it was cleaned well
- Installed previous NVidia release that came before Windows Anniversary 10
- Clean uninstalled again
- Installed latest NVidia release which came out after Windows Anniversary 10
- Changed back from "Beta" updates in Steam, to the 'normal' and back again
- Uninstalled MSI Afterburner
- Pulled my hair out (quickly done, I'm bold)
- Installed MSI Afterburner (set up to 'under' clock the GPU)
- Contacted Steam Support (yet to hear from)
- Contacted NVidia Support (yet to hear from)

I figured I would be best to recover to the previous Windows 10 version but turns out the .old files get cleaned out after xx days and they were already gone.

I wanted to try to do clean install, but how was I to make sure the Anniversary update wouldn't install after clean install? So I looked for the option to block certain updates, and couldn't find such option. I tried looking for a way to prevent automatically downloading and installing updates for Windows and couldn't find that either. So I'm not too eager to reinstall just yet.

For what it's worth... This only happens with Steam Big Picture. And I only use BP when I play Elite. Because I use the Steam Controller for that. No other game ever stutters or freezes or whatever.

I also don't experience black screens, or other strange behavior. Other games run just fine.

I've checked the event log today when it happened, and I have yet to check again when it happens but today, it was around the same time I got this from my event viewer:

"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered"

My guess is, Anniversary update did something that makes NVidia do bad things. And it seems it can recover quickly enough for most games, but for Big Picture mode this seems as the 'd3d' device hung. And it crashes.

"Captain, do you know what year this is?"
"Of course I do. It's 2278."

– Jean-Luc Picard and Morgan Bateson, 2368 ("Cause and Effect")

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas

Re: Are there any Steam Big Picture Mode users here?

Postby de Carabas » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:42 am

The "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" error is pretty generic. This was exactly the error I was getting all the time with the first GTX 970 that I bought and it resulted in E: D crashing out. I sent it back and got a different brand and have had no issues since (bloody computers).
So, not the same situation but the same error. Have a look through the thread I had on my situation here there might be a trouble shooting step I tried that might work for you.
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

Morgan Bateson
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Morgan Bateson

Re: Are there any Steam Big Picture Mode users here?

Postby Morgan Bateson » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:17 pm

Yes, thanks. I did actually. I think I read most topics about this issue in the past few weeks.

All your things on the list didn't help. Some I could not do. Like the GPU is a nice integrated part of the notebook. It's a gaming edition MSI notebook.

I forgot to do one thing which I normally do and did that today. I installed the Nvidia drivers it was shipped with October last year.

I've been flying non stop for 2 hours didn't give me any issues (yet!). But sometimes it's 10 mins sometimes 3 hrs so it's too soon to call.

Edit: and it did crash.

"Captain, do you know what year this is?"
"Of course I do. It's 2278."

– Jean-Luc Picard and Morgan Bateson, 2368 ("Cause and Effect")

Return to “Hardware and Technical”