thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Article: "Elite Dangerous Mulls Dropping Support For 32-bit, DirectX 10"

Postby thebs » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:23 am

I'll make it short'n sweet ...

Braben is trying to emphasize how the Win32/DX10 support is hampering developing, and keeping them from completely focusing on improving the engine.

"Elite Dangerous Mulls Dropping Support For 32-bit, DirectX 10"
- https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/0 ... 10-32-bit/
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darr Valen
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Article: "Elite Dangerous Mulls Dropping Support For 32-bit, DirectX 10"

Postby Darr Valen » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:31 am

I think someone had a thread for this already. Regardless, I fully support dragging idiots into the future.. or at least the last 10 years. Really, if your PC doesn't support 64 bit, that's a stupid problem to have in 2016. That's like having an IDE drive still, or an AGP video card. People like that are the reason why a lot of games aren't as advanced as they could be. Artificially lowered min specs ruining potential.

charlie2alpha
Expert
Expert
CMDR: charlie2alpha

Postby charlie2alpha » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:05 am

If your PC doesn't support 64bit I can't even imagine how can even play E: D in the first place! It means that you either have an ancient CPU, or you were foolish enough to install 32bit Windows without good reason.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:45 am

charlie2alpha wrote:If your PC doesn't support 64bit I can't even imagine how can even play E: D in the first place! It means that you either have an ancient CPU, or you were foolish enough to install 32bit Windows without good reason.

My wifes PC came with Windows 7 32 bit even though it was capable of 64. Why? The OEM's pay a higher price for the 64 bit than 32. Cheap SOB's so you can't expect everyone to be on 64 even if the PC is capable. Fortunately, I have 2 legal copies of Windows 7 retail, which came with both, so I upgraded hers a long while back.

As far as the 32/DX10 issue, get rid of it.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:48 pm

It's about time.
Although I have fully supported FD's choice to have both 32bit and 64bit for those players who are not interested in Horizons, I think that it just might be time to tell those players that if they want to keep playing they will have to switch to Elite 64-bit.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:40 pm

Darr Valen wrote:I think someone had a thread for this already. Regardless, I fully support dragging idiots into the future.. or at least the last 10 years. Really, if your PC doesn't support 64 bit, that's a stupid problem to have in 2016. That's like having an IDE drive still, or an AGP video card. People like that are the reason why a lot of games aren't as advanced as they could be. Artificially lowered min specs ruining potential.

Don't blame someone that has an old computer that works fine for them - I have a few of them. Blame the developers & publishers that try to make every last buck they can. If they required the highest specifications, they would sell fewer games and they would probably cost more. And if you had an old computer and wanted to play it, you'd have to buy a new one - like I did 22 months ago. :roll:
It's time to give this another go.

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:53 pm

Darr Valen wrote:I think someone had a thread for this already.

did a search, but couldn't find it. Again, SIAP. I only know of the Frontier forum thread.

Darr Valen wrote:Regardless, I fully support dragging idiots into the future.. or at least the last 10 years. Really, if your PC doesn't support 64 bit, that's a stupid problem to have in 2016. That's like having an IDE drive still, or an AGP video card. People like that are the reason why a lot of games aren't as advanced as they could be. Artificially lowered min specs ruining potential.

Well, mobile users are an example. Some only have 4GiB RAM, and a low-end GPU. I finally moved to hauling a tiny, 7x9x11" (180x230x280mm) Mini-ITX system for this reason.

Loriath wrote:
charlie2alpha wrote:If your PC doesn't support 64bit I can't even imagine how can even play E: D in the first place! It means that you either have an ancient CPU, or you were foolish enough to install 32bit Windows without good reason.
My wifes PC came with Windows 7 32 bit even though it was capable of 64. Why? The OEM's pay a higher price for the 64 bit than 32.

I don't think this is true. I'm fairly certain the Windows 7 OEM key works with either x86 or x64 installs. It's only the Edition (Home Basic/Elements, Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate) that is a different charge.

Loriath wrote:Cheap SOB's so you can't expect everyone to be on 64 even if the PC is capable. Fortunately, I have 2 legal copies of Windows 7 retail, which came with both, so I upgraded hers a long while back.

I would have tried re-installing with the same key. However, you do need the appropriate media for the appropriate architecture. Although for Windows 7, OEMs did have a dual-x86 and x64 single ISO. I know, I have one via MSDN.

Loriath wrote:As far as the 32/DX10 issue, get rid of it.
Falcon_D wrote:It's about time.
Although I have fully supported FD's choice to have both 32bit and 64bit for those players who are not interested in Horizons, I think that it just might be time to tell those players that if they want to keep playing they will have to switch to Elite 64-bit.

It would help if Frontier would release an off-line version that doesn't need to be upgraded or connected to other players.

It would be cool if they could just ship 'The Bubble' on a DVD, and people could play off-line. But I suspect the economics aren't easily pushed off-line or otherwise modeled in a way that doesn't require manual intervention from time-to-time.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:That's like having an IDE drive still, or an AGP video card. People like that are the reason why a lot of games aren't as advanced as they could be. Artificially lowered min specs ruining potential.

It would be easier if Microsoft didn't require one to re-activate when you change out various components, let alone the mainboard. Heck, I'd be happy if I didn't have to re-install Windows if I changed my mainboard.
► Show Spoiler

That's the #1 reason I don't upgrade my hardware but every 4-5 years. It's a bitch to re-install Windows and re-set it all up. That's why I only try to upgrade the GPU and not change the C: drive (where Windows is at), but only D: (usually a RAID-10 or RAID-5 of 2.5" drives/SSDs).

Of course, using a separate C: drive causes issues in Windows 10 now. WTF Microsoft?!

Return to “Hardware and Technical”