Custom Desk Mounted HOTAS Clamp Stands (Cheap Man's MonsterTech Stands)

Community Support for the machines running the game
RadioActiveLobster
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: RadioActiveLobster
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Custom Desk Mounted HOTAS Clamp Stands (Cheap Man's MonsterTech Stands)

Postby RadioActiveLobster » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:56 pm

So I wasn't happy with just having my HOTAS setting on my desk.

As a quick fix a couple months ago I just got some drawer rollers and made to slid out platforms on my desk to set them on. This worked alright but it had many issues and I wasn't a big fan of it.

I've always wanted some MonsterTech HOTAS Stands but they are $96 a piece and for a full set + shipping to the US it's $242.27 so there isn't any way that's gonna happen.

I decided to make my own and do it a hell of a lot cheaper. For around $60 in parts (I'm only in it about $45 since I already had the wood, screws, tools, etc... I only really had to buy the clamps and some specific metal bits) you can build this beauty.

Setting Position

Standing Position

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Custom Desk Mounted HOTAS Clamp Stands (Cheap Man's MonsterTech Stands)

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:16 pm

RadioActiveLobster wrote:So I wasn't happy with just having my HOTAS setting on my desk...

Very nice Commander. :)

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:23 pm

Hmmmmm....

Nice......

I might have to consider something along those lines as my Warthog is on the desk at the moment....

*Brain starts chugging*

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:09 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:...*Brain starts chugging*

Don't flatter yourself Kharma.

;)

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:09 pm

I like those quick clamps, but my desk can't accommodate that design.
Since I got a narrower keyboard, I'm pretty happy using the desktop and a tall chair.
It's time to give this another go.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:37 pm

Problem, is with desktop level HOTAS, is it's just far to high to be comfortable, so just the increase in comfort and flexibility from getting it low cannot be over emphasised.

In fact once you try something like the warthog or my CH fighter stick, it's no longer to big but perfect since your aren't stretching from below and under coming in directly.

Remember we are modeling these sticks from fighter planes where they are basically mounted knee high, if that.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

RadioActiveLobster
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: RadioActiveLobster

Postby RadioActiveLobster » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:42 pm

TorTorden wrote:Problem, is with desktop level HOTAS, is it's just far to high to be comfortable, so just the increase in comfort and flexibility from getting it low cannot be over emphasised.

In fact once you try something like the warthog or my CH fighter stick, it's no longer to big but perfect since your aren't stretching from below and under coming in directly.

Remember we are modeling these sticks from fighter planes where they are basically mounted knee high, if that.

That's why I like this Sit/Stand desk so much. I can adjust to basically any height I want/need it at for any chair or standing setup I want.

MadKoi
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: MadKoi

Postby MadKoi » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:59 am

Nicely done mounts, I like them very much. Only thing missing is some paint to give it a finished look.

If you don't mind I maybe try to combine my sliding on/off chair mount with your deskmount design ... maybe it would work without any clamps, making it even simpler.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:17 am

GlobusDiablo wrote:
Cmdr Kharma wrote:...*Brain starts chugging*

Don't flatter yourself Kharma.

;)

Dead man walking.......

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:32 pm

TorTorden wrote:Problem, is with desktop level HOTAS, is it's just far to high to be comfortable, so just the increase in comfort and flexibility from getting it low cannot be over emphasised.

I can't deny that, but I'm a big & tall guy in a big & tall chair, so it's not really that bad for me. Still, I would prefer it a bit lower, so I sat there and gave it a little thought. The built-in writing tables are just too wide, but then I got inspired and pulled them all the way out and reinserted them kind of sideways and corner first. This lowers the HOTAS about 1.5" and the keyboard securely spans the gap. The tables are literally resting on my thighs, so I can't go any lower, and the HOTAS is partially over my thighs, so if I tried to go lower, I would have to go wider too, which is just too wide.

Anyway, this setup works pretty well. I think I'll design a single table that spans the entire width and replaces the existing writing tables. Then I can cut off those points that are poking me, and it will be a better support for the keyboard - I may be able to do something for the mouse too, or for taking notes (not the easiest thing in VR - we really need an in-game log). I can also make the whole thing stick out about 6" further, and then I can keep my steering wheel mounted, which I've only used 3 days about 6 months ago.

Here's a pic if you want to see:
► Show Spoiler

TorTorden wrote:Remember we are modeling these sticks from fighter planes where they are basically mounted knee high, if that.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't fit anymore (and I've always been to damn tall). :roll:
It's time to give this another go.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”